Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe Paramount should try to space out their releases a little more instead of trying to shoot their whole wad in May.
Well, Star Trek TOS and Trilogy had to come out to tie into the film. That's what, 12 BD50's for both sets? I think the majority of their other catalog releases were BD25s. But yeah, Paramount pushed out way too much product in a month where it could have been spaced out a bit better. But judging by production, many of these (BD25) were pressed 30-45 days before release date as I've received some titles almost a month early. BD25 pressing is no problem while BD50 can be when so many studios are prepping for big boxsets/TV Shows. Some studios have already postponed some of their TV shows for later on because of this reason. Luckily Lost is no where in that mix (phew). Looks like most stores should have the 6 disc Trek set in by Friday. Why they didn't work overtime to get this set out on time I'll never know. Its primed for huge sales numbers (even with it being DNRed).
Old 05-12-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well great. The stupid security tag was attached to the bottom of the paper box instead of the removable paper insert. I had to take it off or it would not sit right on the shelf. Of course some paper came with it.
Old 05-12-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just bought this ... didn't intend on buying it up until today, but the price was a decent $79.99 with the free "retro" t-shirt and the packaging is classy and sturdy. Normally $39.99 is my sweet spot for BD trilogies, so double that for 6 movies is about the right price. But still, spending $80 all at once stings a bit

I'm not sure if I'll keep the set .... but who am I kidding, I probably will
Old 05-12-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I picked up the trilogy for $39.99 but now think I'll jet over to Best Buy and grab the whole shebang with T-shirt and return the trilogy set...
Old 05-12-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^I picked up the trilogy for $39.99 but now think I'll jet over to Best Buy and grab the whole shebang with T-shirt and return the trilogy set...
Makes sense, since you'd probably want the rest of the films anyway, if you're a completist (like we all are ) ... damn Best Buy for putting those spider security tags on all the boxes though!
Old 05-12-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Who is giving away a Tshirt with purchase?
Old 05-12-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Who is giving away a Tshirt with purchase?
Best Buy, at least in Canada. I took a quick gander at the US site and it doesn't look like they're offering it in the US. Not sure if other US retailers might be offering the T-shirt bonus instead.
Old 05-12-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Mine still has the original "May 18th" shipping estimate at Amazon (have to love free shipping delays). Let's see.....
Mine is the same. What the hell good is pre-ordering it anyway, if you can't get it on the day it comes out, or close to it. Seems like when people pre-order, they should have one reserved for them. It makes it a lot easier on them to know how many to order.

I have seen delays from Amazon.com and Columbia House for my pre-orders. Who would have thought the Warner Bros. store would be the one who gets them out on time?! I sometimes get those before the release date, but usually right on tuesday.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. The format is getting so popular, they can't make them fast enough.
Old 05-12-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well it was the same crap last year around this time when There Will Be Blood and Cloverfield came out - very hard to get right away from Amazon. I wound up getting them both from Fry's. For some reason Fry's always has this stuff on release day - they must get it into their distro chain faster.
Old 05-12-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I bought the "trilogy" but what is the deal with them not including the first one? I'm probably taking this one back since the package says that only Wrath of Khan has been fully remastered and the others are only digitally remastered. What kind of shit is that?
Old 05-12-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the deal is with Paramount lately. Even Grease was delayed a couple days on Amazon last week.
Old 05-12-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I bought the "trilogy" but what is the deal with them not including the first one? I'm probably taking this one back since the package says that only Wrath of Khan has been fully remastered and the others are only digitally remastered. What kind of shit is that?
That is strange. It's even worse for dvd owners. The 2-disc versions are OOP and they only released this same trilogy set for dvd. I'm not sure what the point of the trilogy set is anyways.
Old 05-12-09, 04:15 PM
Suspended

The trilogy is some sort of story arc...I'm sure one of the resident Trek nerds will pop in with a 10 page synopsis for us.
Old 05-12-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The trilogy is some sort of story arc...I'm sure one of the resident Trek nerds will pop in with a 10 page synopsis for us.
If you buy that set, I don't see how you can own the rest of them without having to double up. I seriously doubt we'll see the films released separately any time soon.
Old 05-12-09, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If you buy that set, I don't see how you can own the rest of them without having to double up. I seriously doubt we'll see the films released separately any time soon.
You will. They're being released as singles later this year.

Already out in singles in the UK.
Old 05-12-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GizmoDVD's too cool for school.

Here's the story synopsis: "Khaaaaan!!", life, death, time travel, whales
Old 05-12-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I was going to pass on this but I had a BB gift card and really wanted to see Khan in HD so I bought the whole shebang with the little diecast Klingon Bird of Prey doohickey. I also wanted the bonus 7th disc so the "Trilogy" set was out of the question. I figure if the other films look as crappy as most reports indicate I can easily sell off the individual slim-cased films like I have for other box sets. For some reason DNR doesn't bother me as much as heavy EE so I'll have to see how they look later tonight. I already sold off all my 2-disc DVDs at a profit so there's no turning back at this point.
Old 05-12-09, 05:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, since you asked...

Spoiler:
In Wrath of Khan, a device is introduced called "Genesis." This device allows the user to take a dead planet or asteroid and rebuild it on a molecular level so that it can support life. The problem is, if you use it on a world which already has life, everything on that planet will be destroyed in favor of the new blueprint. During the climax of the film, Khan, his ship disabled and his crew dead, launches the Genesis device inside of a nebula in order to try and destroy the Enterprise. The Enterprise escapes, and Genesis coalesces the raw materials in the nebula into a new planet, dubbed the Genesis planet. In order to facilitate the Enterprise's escape from the nebula, Spock sacrifices himself by going into the warp core restore the ship's warp drive. His body is deposited on the Genesis planet as the film ends.

In Search for Spock, it's discovered that Spock's thoughts and personality were relayed into McCoy before Spock died, and that his body has been reborn by the restorative energies of the Genesis planet. Kirk takes the Enterprise back to Genesis, where he encounters a Klingon Bird of Prey. As the Klingons swarm onto the ship to take the crew hostage, Kirk sets the Enterprise to self-destruct and beams himself aboard the planet. Ultimately, he comes face to face with the Klingon commander and defeats him (but not before the Klingons kill Kirk's son) as Genesis, proven to be unstable, breaks itself apart. Thus the crew takes command of the Klingon ship and takes it to Vulcan, where Spock's memories and personality are restored.

The fourth film opens as the crew go back to Earth in the Klingon ship. On the way, they receive a message from Starfleet not to approach earth because an alien probe has begun assaulting the planet, and disables any ships that come near. Analyzing the transmission of the probe, Spock determines that the only beings that can answer the call are Humpback Whales, extinct in the 23rd century. So the crew goes back in time to get some whales, and use the cloaking abilities of the Klingon ship to keep themselves hidden.

The sixth film does make a few references to the third (and I suppose there's a line that would also refer to the first and fourth), but beyond that, the rest of the entries are all standalone. II, III, and IV are the only ones where the events are directly tied into each other.

I've still not got a shipping notice from Amazon, so I will go to Best Buy and pick up a set until I can get the one I ordered from Amazon.
Old 05-12-09, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Thanks...now I may have to blind buy the damn DNRed set now.
Old 05-12-09, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Ha! They're good movies. If only they had a 4-disc set with II, III, IV, and VI, and I'd buy that instead of the full set.
Old 05-12-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got the full set - I know about the DNR but I don't own these movies in any incarnation previous and the price was right... so is this T-Shirt a Canadian exclusive? That would be a nice surprise for once instead of getting screwed like we usually do
Old 05-12-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
So now Amazon is showing 11-14 days till shipping, Bestbuy.com is back order, OOS at Deep Discount, OOS at Walmart.com, 11-14 at Target.com.

I would cancel Amazon and pick it up at BB B&M, but with tax, its an extra $15.
Not if your store still has their mispriced $69.99 sign up on their ST display!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-buy-ymmv.html

Sorry, don't feel like typing the info out again, but read the thread I made in the Bargains forum, and you might be able to snag the 7 disc set at BB for less than Amazon too!
Old 05-12-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went with the Trilogy set. Even at $70 at Best Buy...

1) I did not want to buy the version of ST:TMP that I didn't like
2) I did not want to pay for ST V which I probably will never watch.
3) Would rather get the hi-def remaster of ST VI when (and we know it's coming) it is released.
4) Would like to have the Captain's Summit additional disc but it still wasn't enough for me to buy the entire set.

I have watched the DNR'd version of Search For Spock, and while it's not as great as TWOK, it's not unwatchable either. Interestingly enough, the worst parts are the reused portions from ST II.
I'll check out ST IV tomorrow.
Old 05-12-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

just got shipping confirmation from Amazon
Old 05-12-09, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

I ended up getting this at Best Buy. They had a deal where if you buy any Samsung Blu-ray player, you got the Motion Picture set for $19.99. I needed a second Blu-ray player for my room, so I got the Samsung 3600 because it streams Netflix and Pandora and had wireless built in, and it was on sale.

I'm watching TMP right now and it looks so much better than the DVD. It's not even close. The level of detail is fantastic. I feel like I'm actually watching a movie, and not a video.

I'll post about the rest of the films as I watch them.

Edit: I tried the "Library Computer" feature. It's a glossary of terms that pop up as certain things get mentioned (for example, when Spock is on Vulcan, an entry for Vulcan comes up, then Spock, then Kohlinar, then mind meld, etc.) If you want, you can look at every entry via an index. A few entries have photos attached, but overall, it's nothing special.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-12-09 at 10:28 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.