Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek I-VI & Star Trek TOS: Season One - May 2009

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I just got Season 1 in the mail today, Disc 7 was mangled for whatever reason. I'm contacting Paramount directly to see if they can help me in just replacing the one disc since I know the rest are fine. Dont' want to have to ship it out again in full to Amazon, only to get another set with another loose, scratched disc. Let's see how helpful they are. Anybody had experience in dealing with them before for a defective disc? They sent me a form already today to fill out, wanting to know the product, its UPC, receipt, and where to ship it to, and sent it back to them. Hopefully I hear something tomorrow.
The only experience I had with a Paramount disc replacement was with regard to that awful Charmed LE complete series set (well, the set itself wasn't awful, but the scratched up discs were). Their customer service was really good and they agreed to replace 30+ discs without me even sending the bad ones back (they did give me a small envelope to send them back with the replacements that was made for one disc). However, almost all of the replacement discs were scratched to hell as well. So, I'm not sure you're going to have any more luck going through Paramount than just going through Amazon.

Amazon does not hurt to at least try a return. They will send you the replacement much quicker than Paramount - you'll probably have a replacement set within 1 business day of requesting the replacement. You've got 30 days to drop your original set in the mail. Hang on to it and wait for the replacement, just in case the replacement has any mangled discs that are fine in your current set. You can "build" a good set with almost no hassle. Amazon is the best at handling returns.
Old 05-01-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I just got Season 1 in the mail today, Disc 7 was mangled for whatever reason. I'm contacting Paramount directly to see if they can help me in just replacing the one disc since I know the rest are fine. Dont' want to have to ship it out again in full to Amazon, only to get another set with another loose, scratched disc. Let's see how helpful they are. Anybody had experience in dealing with them before for a defective disc? They sent me a form already today to fill out, wanting to know the product, its UPC, receipt, and where to ship it to, and sent it back to them. Hopefully I hear something tomorrow.
No experience with replacements, but I just thought I'd add that my disc 7 was also loose, but there wasn't any damage. I picked my set up at Walmart (Canada), so it's not like there was a rough postal journey to jar it loose. It also didn't sit particularly well when I put it back in the case. The bit it sits on is very low profile and just doesn't hold it well.
Old 05-01-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately I think loose discs and broken cases will be a prevalent problem with this set....my friend got his from Amazon, and it had either a loose disc or broken case as you could hear obvious rattling around inside it just from tipping the box up or down....
When I was in Best Buy yesterday, I checked the copies sitting on the shelf, and only 1 of the five there did NOT sound like either a disc or part of the case was broken off and moving around inside of it....
Old 05-01-09, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Unfortunately I think loose discs and broken cases will be a prevalent problem with this set....my friend got his from Amazon, and it had either a loose disc or broken case as you could hear obvious rattling around inside it just from tipping the box up or down....
When I was in Best Buy yesterday, I checked the copies sitting on the shelf, and only 1 of the five there did NOT sound like either a disc or part of the case was broken off and moving around inside of it....
I saw 4 sets at BB on Tuesday and the one I did pick up had at least a disc loose inside. Didn't the HD DVD have the same issues with loose discs/cracked cases? Paramount couldn't get this one right?
Old 05-01-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I saw 4 sets at BB on Tuesday and the one I did pick up had at least a disc loose inside. Didn't the HD DVD have the same issues with loose discs/cracked cases? Paramount couldn't get this one right?
Hey, at least you had some selection to chose from at your store! My pre-ordered copy had a busted case and was the last in the store. I have to wait a few weeks for the regional warehouse to get more stock.
Old 05-01-09, 03:28 PM

All the copies I checked at Wal-Mart seemed to have a loose disc. All the copies at Best Buy seemed to be ok. I bought one at BB and all the discs fit perfectly...no loose discs. My only complaint is the plastic that the artwork fits in isn't smooth in back. It's bunched up...best way I can describe it.
Old 05-01-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine shipped from Amazon no problem. Nothing loose, everything was perfect. Slipcase was even perfect, no dented corners or anything.
Old 05-01-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Some screenshots of the UK Set (which will be identical to the America):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=243

Looks like my blindbuy will turn into a cancellation.
Ewwwww, I'm going to have to ditto the cancellation .
Old 05-02-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

One of the post in the above thread, rounds things up:

By this point we have a pretty good idea of how the other movies turned out: II got a full out restoration, I looks pretty good, III has frozen grain in some instances but nothing major, IV is the old transfer and so doesn't look as good for a bd as the dvd did for that format and VI got DNR'd because of the Super 35 source. V is the only one we're still left hanging on.
Old 05-05-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
My copy of Season 1 had a broken case, with a big chink of plastic rattling around inside. I returned it to Best Buy tonight for a replacement.

The guy at the customer service counter had to take the new copy over to another counter to find a pair of scissors to open the shrinkwrap. While walking back to where I was, the genius opened the case and two of the discs shot out and landed on the floor, rolling around like hubcaps. He nonchalantly picked them up and put them back into the case.

I said, "You don't think I'm going to accept discs that have been on your floor, do you?" His response: "I was going to check them first. Do you want to get another set?"

Idiot.
Old 05-05-09, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cartman
Ewwwww, I'm going to have to ditto the cancellation .
I wouldn't jump to cancellation yet.

That website is horribly biased and screenshots never tell the real story.
Old 05-05-09, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
I wouldn't jump to cancellation yet.

That website is horribly biased and screenshots never tell the real story.
Someone (Well, Torsten Kaiser - TLEFilms - Mastering & Film Restoration Projects in High Definition; 2K, 4K) who has seen the UK BD set chimes in:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=5222
I have to make this brief, also I do want to make sure in the first sentence that what I am going to say has NOTHING to do with Blu-ray itself but has ALL to do with the mastering level prior to reaching the encoding stage (transfer/mastering to tape/cleanup/handling to final master [tape] level for this release). I am certain, if (the film elements were) properly handled, the Blu-ray format could provide a far better rendition of what has surfaced in the current issue. It is a shame that the studio did not make use of that potential.

So, let's get to it. Though I agree with you on points 1 & 2 (re: 1 to the extend that Meyer and peers were surely consulted at SOME point in time re: these transfers, which does not tell you when that actually happened*) having actually SEEN the discs here I have to vehemently disagree with point 3 and 4. First off, the transfers are not newly made (except, perhaps, for ST II: TWOK), some (like ST: VI) are even [old] 59.94i 1080 masters* that are usually reserved for broadcast. The level of de-graining and de-noising (the latter very evident in ST:II) is pushing the tolerance level on most, surpassing it easily on ST: IV - TVH, where those people offended by PATTON may be in for a shock. It IS that bad. And no, this has nothing to do with the age of the materials or soft focus lenses or focus pulling - it has very much to do with digital "improvments" caused by de-graining, de-noising and in some cases even video sweetening software applications. The static noise patterns described by others are evident, and are parts of the "trail" such applications leave behind. Some were used in cleanup processing (where they do not belong). The films will, properly treated, not be comparable to titles like CARS or WALL-E, or any of the high value, newly made DI productions of today. No question. The film stock available at the time and its inherent emulsion characteristics [grain structure], the cameras and lenses used would not allow for that. But the result here is a far, far cry (no pun intended) from the one that is possible and was intended, and could have been reached.

I have seen VI, and the interlacing is VERY visible. The big bang at beginning of the film is telling, too. A lot of video noise. This is not a new, 23.976psf 1080. Sorry, again...
It's not looking very good. While some may debate how much a screenshot can really 'tell' you, several other members who have the UK BD set have chimed in with similar concerns over DNR/EE. This set should be in reviewers hands by Thursday and I'll wait for a non-biased site (i.e. DVDTalk or Blu-ray.com/HDD - Depending on the reviewer) to give it a spin. I really wanted to enjoy this blindbuy....but DNR and the looming 'other edition' at some point in time may make me either hold off or wait for a really good deal. I do hope the packaging resembles the UK set which looks really nice.
Old 05-05-09, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Even more from him:

I can understand that you have a hard time believing Paramount would not invest in their biggest franchise, and also understand Jeff, when he believes the information he was given by his studio contacts that all masters were made anew from 35mm elements. I am sure that many outside the loop would feel the same way. After all, it makes all the sense in the world to invest in order to milk their biggest cash cow, right ? Yeah, well, maybe not so much. While STAR TREK was always front and center when it came to making money, when it came to investing money in to the materials the story is very, very different. Ask your contacts, Jeff. They will tell you . This (to me) is about facts similar as you would find them coming from a professional QC - nothing more, but also nothing less. And here I can tell you (as both of you [as well as Bill] stated, none of you have seen any of these masters or the discs) that a lot of what you hold to be true, be it by simple belief or by what you have been told, does not add up with what I see on these Blu-ray discs - not by a long shot.

I checked through the discs and compared also the framing on several reference setups (QC monitors and screen, etc) here and, as I said, everything - on all discs/masters - points to at the very least a very poor cleanup and mastering involving major use of, partly beyond tolerance level, de-graining and de-noising tools that not only effected but degraded the image in some cases [IV, VI as well as II, for different reasons] severely. Now, in two cases (IV and VI) several indicators such as video noise stemming from a tube telecine now extremely rarely used for HD mastering, especially in the U.S. as well as identical framing (without an exact "frame of reference", pardon the pun, duplicating that is a lucky shot) and equally identical picture instabilities raise very much the suspicion that an older master was the actual prime source rather than a 35mm element. Further indications are that at the very least in one case (VI) a native interlaced 59.94i 1080 signal found its way into the mastering chain to BD, something that does not make any sense whatsoever.

Now, let's just say for the sake of argument that all masters are new. This, on the other hand, would open up an entirely new can of worms. Because, it would mean (and I don't know how else to say this) that the people entrusted with this task were simply extremely clumsy at their job despite having had access to all materials. And, Penton, that is what I would find hard to forgive. There is no excuse for this, all technical possibilities are there, the potential is there. I know Paramount can do an excellent job. They have proven it. But, without a shred of doubt, this Boxed set is not one of them. Not on any of the 6 movies.
Old 05-05-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting this set on Tuesday and will make my own judgements after viewing them all.
Old 05-05-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckee1
I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting this set on Tuesday and will make my own judgements after viewing them all.
Um... OK? Are you sure you don't want to rent a disc first? I mean, this sounds horrible. I'm really glad I'm not getting this set now. Paramount really dropped the ball with this set. I'll be officially holding off for a better release down the road now. I'm still planning to pick up TOS: Season 1 sometime in the next week or so though... but the movies? It sounds like the release is an epic failure.
Old 05-05-09, 05:34 PM

I've read all the currently released independent reviews and admittedly, it looks bleak. I was watching ST: TMP on DVD earlier this week, needless to say, I am eagerly anticipating a cleaned up version of the film along with the others. Am I throwing money away, I don't know. Admittedly, I failed to see the glaring errors represented in the screenshots that were posted. I did see some stuff but, not nearly enough to put me off buying the set. As a rule, I rarely rent. Used to do Netflix but, that fizzled out a year or two back. I have it pre-ordered @ Amazon and don't really see myself canceling it in light of what i've seen thus far.
Old 05-05-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Of all the parties that analyze transfers on the various online forums, Mr. Kaiser has always come across as the most honest and insightful, with no regard for the politics of the situation. It is disappointing to hear how poorly Paramount has handled these transfers, with apparently little effort or money put into them. I have this set pre-ordered but am getting close to canceling it.
Old 05-05-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I wonder how much of an improvement the sound is. Even if the PQ is at worst no better than DVD, I'm still interested in the upgraded audio.
Old 05-05-09, 11:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You know what? I don't care. No, that's not true, I do care. I want the movies to look as good as they can. But I'm going to buy them anyway. Why? Because it's six Star Trek movies on Blu-ray. That's why. And when they come out with another edition that has director's cuts, I'll buy that, too. Because I'm insane.
Old 05-06-09, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Im just hoping BestBuy comes through on a low price, which Amazon/MovieStop will match. Then I will decide.
Old 05-06-09, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by buckee1
Then you officially turn in your right to bitch when these are inevitably double-dipped.

This quote says it all:
While STAR TREK was always front and center when it came to making money, when it came to investing money in to the materials the story is very, very different.
Old 05-06-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get the set when it gets cheaper. The fact that the theatrical version of The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are in this set is enough reason for me to wait for a bigger sale, which I have no doubt will happen at Christmas time. I watch all my movies without freezing every frame, so screenshots don't mean jack shit to me. Not every movie I've watched has gotten 5 star ratings, but it hasn't taken away my enjoyment of them. The Dark Knight has often been criticized, yet the 4 times I've watched it on BD, I've loved it every single time.
Old 05-06-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Then you officially turn in your right to bitch when these are inevitably double-dipped.
Well, considering how long it took to get decent DVD releases of Trek, I doubt Paramount will be double dipping the BDs anytime soon.
Old 05-06-09, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim

This quote says it all:
You are of course assuming i'm not willing to double dip when/should the time come. I'm hoping that when I get the set I will be more than pleased with the presentation. Whether it suits someone else's idea of perfection is of no concern to me. If they are indeed as poor as has been said (which I highly doubt) then they will be. And with respect to the bitching & moaning, that's not my scene. Will I be disappointed, yes but, at the end of the day, this stuff is just for entertainment, it's not like a life is ending.
Old 05-06-09, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Well, considering how long it took to get decent DVD releases of Trek, I doubt Paramount will be double dipping the BDs anytime soon.
When Star Trek II comes out, maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.