Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Is the Blu Ray Sound So Poor?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why Is the Blu Ray Sound So Poor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why Is the Blu Ray Sound So Poor?

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I'll check for HDMI inputs on my receiver.
I'm not sure if this applies to your Onkyo or not, but with mine the HDMI is just a passthrough for the audio. So if that's the case with yours, you'll still need the optical cable for your sound anyway.
Old 01-14-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Since you're using an optical cable you're going to want to set your audio output on the PS3 to BITSTREAM under the audio settings.

I believe if you have it set to PCM you will only get 2.0 (uncompressed) sound.
Old 01-14-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll admit I don't fiddle around with the settings much at all, but at the same time I've never had dull sound previously when using DVD, HD DVD, Video games, etc.
Believe me, the sound is not "dull" at all, it must be the settings on your PS3 and receiver. At the very least, you should have optical out to your receiver where it decodes to DD 5.1. The PS3 should be set to 'Bitstream' under the 'Audio Settings' tab on the XMB. After that, you're money.
Old 01-14-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JTH182
Since you're using an optical cable you're going to want to set your audio output on the PS3 to BITSTREAM under the audio settings.

I believe if you have it set to PCM you will only get 2.0 (uncompressed) sound.
This is what I thought of immediately - my PS3 defaulted to that the first time I hooked it up.
Old 01-14-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'll change the settings on the PS3 tonight and post my results after work.
Old 01-14-09, 10:24 AM

So what are my PS3 settings should be if i don't have surround sound at all? I'm temporaraly back at my parents and there's no point in setting up my surround sound if i can't play anything loud. So for now i got my PS3 and my 2 speakers from my 40inch Series 5 Samsung LCD HDTV.
Also when i finally buy a HDMI surround sound setup will i finally be able to NOT constantly turn down the sound when music or action start and turn it way up when there's dialogue? It seems i've been plagued my whole life with that problem, i always have the remote in my hand and im constantly in need to turn the sound up and down because it's too loud or not loud enough for dialogue. I really hope HDMI surround sound doesn't have that problem anymore...
Thanks!
Old 01-14-09, 10:46 AM

Rather than starting my own thread I figured I would come here and ask. I have a onkyo receiver and it does support HDMI sound but it doesn't support the HD sound formats. Should I still be hooking my PS3's and HD-DVD players sound in through my receiver?

I also have the same problems as Jonno. I always have the remote in my hand because the sound varies so greatly. The actions is huge booming sound but the dialogue is so quiet. I'm constantly switching volumes because of this.
Old 01-14-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by takingchase
Rather than starting my own thread I figured I would come here and ask. I have a onkyo receiver and it does support HDMI sound but it doesn't support the HD sound formats. Should I still be hooking my PS3's and HD-DVD players sound in through my receiver?

I also have the same problems as Jonno. I always have the remote in my hand because the sound varies so greatly. The actions is huge booming sound but the dialogue is so quiet. I'm constantly switching volumes because of this.
If you receiver does support audio over HDMI then yes, you should still set it up that way. You need the PS3 to decode the sound and then send it via PCM to your receiver.

My Yamaha doesn't decode the HD audio codecs but it does handle audio over HDMI so my PS3 decodes everything for me and then my Yamaha accepts that audio and sends it to my speakers.

As for problem number 2, you need to calibrate your system better. Dialogue comes over your center speaker so I would say go into the receiver settings and turn up the center speaker.

Most receivers have some type of auto calibration built it. Try that first.
Old 01-14-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd hate to recommend turning Dynamic Range Control ON for these people who need to hold their remote, but I guess that would be a solution.

I would agree with some serious calibration first though. An SPL meter could help even out the speakers.
Old 01-14-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to update, I did what some suggested and turned the Bitstream on, and also turned Dynamic Range off. I popped in The Dark Knight and played the Hong Kong sequence, and it sounded excellent.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I started another thread on sound and came to these conclusions:

A.) I'm not buying an HDMI compatible receiver right now for affordability purposes..but I did buy a Monster digital coaxial and ran it to my 5.1 receiver. Audio slightly improved.
B.) I won't be watching any Blu-Ray films which only offer 5.1 TruHD sound (I hate the fact that on many of the new titles there is only one choice)...it's obviously not converting and the sound sucks like the OP mentioned. DTS is amazing. Standard 5.1 is great as well. Just not TruHD. Oh well.

Last edited by Dan1boy; 01-14-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Well, I started another thread on sound and came to these conclusions:

A.) I'm not buying an HDMI compatible receiver right now for affordability purposes..but I did buy a Monster digital coaxial and ran it to my 5.1 receiver. Audio slightly improved.
B.) I won't be watching any Blu-Ray films which only offer 5.1 TruHD sound (I hate the fact that on many of the new titles there is only one choice)...it's obviously not converting and the sound sucks like the OP mentioned. DTS is amazing. Standard 5.1 is great as well. Just not TruHD. Oh well.
Ehh...TruHD has a Dolby Digital core that will send as bitstream over optical/coaxial. Maybe you're having settings issues?
Old 01-15-09, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to update, I did what some suggested and turned the Bitstream on, and also turned Dynamic Range off. I popped in The Dark Knight and played the Hong Kong sequence, and it sounded excellent.

Thanks guys!

Awesome! Glad it's working now. Was your optical connection set to PCM?
Old 01-15-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dan1boy

I don't think you could contradict yourself more than you did in that one statement.
Old 01-15-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-15-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Awesome! Glad it's working now. Was your optical connection set to PCM?
Yep. It was set to Linear PCM.
Old 01-15-09, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any word on a Firmware upgrade that would allow the PS3 to pass the TrueHD and/or Master Audio bitstream over HDMI?
Old 01-15-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenshiro
Any word on a Firmware upgrade that would allow the PS3 to pass the TrueHD and/or Master Audio bitstream over HDMI?
I don't think that's ever going to happen, because it's supposedly a hardware limitation with the HDMI chip that they used.
Old 01-15-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I don't think you could contradict yourself more than you did in that one statement.

And the Monster Marketing Machine claims another wallet.
Old 01-15-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, thanks guys. I'll delve into this deeper tomorrow when I get more time. I'll check for HDMI inputs on my receiver.

If my receiver doesn't have them, is there another way to get better/stronger sound from my Blu Rays?
You have to use optical to get 5.1. HMDI gets you 7.1.

HOWEVER, you will also need to enable all of the sound options for your PS3 to get the "best" sounds. I know that DTS is not enabled by default for instance. You really should read at least some of the manual that came with your PS3 before complaining about the performance! The fault lies with the installer not the installation.
Old 01-15-09, 04:31 PM

Okay, so now that I hooked my ps3's audio up through hdmi what settings should I have?
Old 01-15-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

If your receiver can handle multi-channel Linear PCM, set the HDMI output to Lienear PCM. And remember to set Dynamic Range to off.
Old 01-15-09, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If your receiver can handle multi-channel Linear PCM, set the HDMI output to Lienear PCM. And remember to set Dynamic Range to off.
how would I go about finding out if my reciever supports this?
Old 01-23-09, 08:40 AM

im going to bump this back up to see if anyone can answer my question
Old 01-23-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The manual should say. You could also check the forum for your reciever model at AVS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.