Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

John Woo's Red Cliff

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

John Woo's Red Cliff

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Woo's Red Cliff

Sorry to start a new thread about this movie (mods feel free to merge into a different thread if you need to).

Just watched the blu-ray of Red Cliff last night and all I can say is WOW! The movie itself is spectacular and it's great to see John Woo getting back to making terrific movies. He should definitely stay in China and make movies there. I won't go into details about the movie but I'm sure you can find a description of it somewhere. I cannot wait for Part 2 to come out (it's split into two parts with part 2 being released in theaters in Jan '09 in China).

Onto the disc itself. 3 lossless tracks are on the disc. PCM, TrueHD and DTSHD-MA (are you listening Warner?). The visual quality is stunning and I wuold definitely put this within the top 5 of all the blu-rays I own (400+). There are one or two scenes where the CGI is a little weak and the dreaded Mei Ah watermark shows up on the top left corner every 15 mins. It's not on the actual picture but on the black bar so it's not terribly noticable but it's there. The special features are not subtitled so there were of no use to me.

This movie is definitely worth importing. If you're thinking about waiting for a U.S. release, here's the problem. When they finally show the movie domestically, they will cut both movies and merge them into one. I don't know who owns the distribution rights for this film but I can't imagine how they can condense part 1 without ruining the story.
Old 09-24-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkny75
Sorry to start a new thread about this movie (mods feel free to merge into a different thread if you need to).

Just watched the blu-ray of Red Cliff last night and all I can say is WOW! The movie itself is spectacular and it's great to see John Woo getting back to making terrific movies. He should definitely stay in China and make movies there. I won't go into details about the movie but I'm sure you can find a description of it somewhere. I cannot wait for Part 2 to come out (it's split into two parts with part 2 being released in theaters in Jan '09 in China).

Onto the disc itself. 3 lossless tracks are on the disc. PCM, TrueHD and DTSHD-MA (are you listening Warner?). The visual quality is stunning and I wuold definitely put this within the top 5 of all the blu-rays I own (400+). There are one or two scenes where the CGI is a little weak and the dreaded Mei Ah watermark shows up on the top left corner every 15 mins. It's not on the actual picture but on the black bar so it's not terribly noticable but it's there. The special features are not subtitled so there were of no use to me.

This movie is definitely worth importing. If you're thinking about waiting for a U.S. release, here's the problem. When they finally show the movie domestically, they will cut both movies and merge them into one. I don't know who owns the distribution rights for this film but I can't imagine how they can condense part 1 without ruining the story.
Yeah I saw this one in Hong Kong. Good film.

I have a feeling the U.S. distributor is Weinstein . . .
Old 09-24-08, 01:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
Yeah I saw this one in Hong Kong. Good film.

I have a feeling the U.S. distributor is Weinstein . . .
In other words, avoid watching any kind of domestic release....I've been reading about this movie from the international forum thread. I'm interested in getting it, but was going to wait to see how it was going to be handled in the States. And by the mere uttering of "Weinstein", I just may get some Region 3 edition now.

For you two who saw it, was it the entire movie? They were saying this movie was split into 2 different releases months apart, a-la Kill Bill.

Edit - just read the bottom of DKNY's comment on the movie being in two parts. I'd love to get both parts once that's avalible.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-24-08 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I despise the Mei Ah watermark, so I'm going to wait and see what other options become available. If this ends up being the only way to get the full, uncut version of the movie on Blu, then I'll endure the watermark I guess.
Old 09-25-08, 10:14 AM
FuQ

I just watched the DVD and it is an amazing film. I wish I knew more Chinese History. The upconverted DVD picture is amazing. I played it off my PS3.
Old 09-25-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film came under my radar - I must be slipping in my old age.
Old 09-26-08, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
For you two who saw it, was it the entire movie? They were saying this movie was split into 2 different releases months apart, a-la Kill Bill.
It was kind of funny. We just gotten back from traveling for 2 weeks, had no idea about this film and just saw the poster for the movie and decided to check it out. There was no English on the poster that told us it was only part 1. About an hour into it I was wondering how long this movie was going to be and how would everything get wrapped up. There was a 45 minute battle! Some of this stuff is LOTR scale. Two hours into the movie I figured there HAD to be a part 2 coming and sure enough we got that information at the end of the film.

I felt kind of ripped off because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to see the uncut part 2 in the theater, but it looks like I am going back to China October 3. I'll be on the look out for it's release.
Old 09-26-08, 08:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
DKNY says Part 2 will be released theatrically in China, so I'm not sure if you'll miss it. But you may be able to get a great DVD of Part 1. It sounds like it's definitely worth getting the DVD, so I just may have to do that. It sounds like this would be a great theatrical presentation as well.
Old 09-26-08, 10:38 AM

From what I heard they're releasing part 2 in China around Jan 2009.
Old 09-30-08, 01:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FuQ
I just watched the DVD and it is an amazing film. I wish I knew more Chinese History. The upconverted DVD picture is amazing. I played it off my PS3.
I watched this Monday afternoon (the standard DVD) viewed in component video on my Samsung tv and I was amazed - the colours and cinematography looked great! As well as beautiful DTS 5.1 soundmix. What a cliffhanger of an ending to the eventual second part - I can't wait!!
Old 01-11-09, 07:42 AM

Re: John Woo's Red Cliff

I know it's not on Blu-ray yet - but I just saw part 2. Happy to say I liked it as much as part 1. Had a great naval scene in it. Quite funny. I'm sure it will be on Blu-ray within 2 months.