DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Falling Down Digibook May 26 2009 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/546686-falling-down-digibook-may-26-2009-a.html)

TylerDurden_73 12-29-08 02:52 PM

Falling Down Digibook May 26 2009

Blu-ray.com

Warner Home Video has announced via a retail ad that the Michael Douglas film 'Falling Down' will get a Blu-ray Digibook release on May 26th. As is common with all Digibook releases, the disc will come with a hard cover book featuring photos and short writings on the film. No technical specs have been announced at this time, but you can expect 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

No special features have been announced at this time.

Updated to add...

Warner Home Video has announced the special features for the upcoming Digibook Blu-ray release of the Michael Douglas film 'Falling Down', which is due to hit store shelves on May 26th, day-and-date with the DVD re-release. Video will be presented in 1080p VC-1. Audio specs have not been announced at this time.

Extras for this release include:

Commentary by Michael Douglas and director Joel Schumacher
Deconstructing D-FENS: A Conversation with Michael Douglas

Exclusive to the Blu-ray release, the film will come packaged with a book featuring over 30 pages of filmmaker and talent bios, a discussion of the film, an examination of the “bad guy,” photos, and more.

beebs 12-29-08 03:00 PM

I actually like this one and will rent it when it pops up. I'd buy it if it was under $8. :)

-beebs

Snowmaker 12-29-08 03:11 PM

One of my all-time favorite movies. It never did get fair treatment on DVD. I'd upgrade if the price is right.

E Unit 12-29-08 03:22 PM

I think this is Schmacher's best movie. Talk about Falling Down - from this movie to Batman. Definite buy for me. I just hope they give it some good extras it deserves.

DVD Polizei 12-29-08 03:33 PM

Why in the hell would this need a Digibook treatment. I liked the movie, but what can you really say in a Digibook you can't say on the back cover.

Gizmo 12-29-08 03:54 PM

Never saw the whole film...will give this one a shot. Since its a Digibook release, I'll be buying it either way.

jiggawhat 12-29-08 04:00 PM

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...1208/index.php

Cover art is on page 5 along with Amadeus and the Matrix digibooks.

jiggawhat 12-29-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 9161940)
Why in the hell would this need a Digibook treatment. I liked the movie, but what can you really say in a Digibook you can't say on the back cover.

I like these although I wish they could match the dimensions better of regular blu-ray cases.

beebs 12-29-08 05:13 PM

I really do like the look of these, but the price is too high for these sorts of titles. I just know that Warner is going to blow out these digibook titles at some point for <$10. Then, I might bite and gobble them up.

Heck, I'd bite on a box set of them... if the average was under $10 each.

-beebs

matome 12-29-08 07:02 PM

Awesome news! Take some shooting lessons, asshole. :lol:

dsa_shea 12-29-08 07:29 PM

Will be on my CH list for a future B1G1F sale. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Zen Peckinpah 12-29-08 08:02 PM

Nice cover. I like the poster art a lot, but that does look cool. A definite purchase.

"How are you enjoying your meal?"
(Customer throws up)
"I think we have a critic here! I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick."
(Manager looks pissed)
"That was a joke!"

shizawn 12-29-08 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah (Post 9162422)
Nice cover. I like the poster art a lot, but that does look cool. A definite purchase.

"How are you enjoying your meal?"
(Customer throws up)
"I think we have a critic here! I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick."
(Manager looks pissed)
"That was a joke!"

The customer throwing up sound is one of my favorites. Cracks me up every time I hear it.

Can't wait for this to come out.

Mercury&Solace 12-29-08 09:43 PM

Copped

SPRBD 12-29-08 11:01 PM

Darn, I hate digibooks.

WMAangel 12-29-08 11:48 PM

That was my first thought as well....Seriously? This movie?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a decent little film, but it's not like it was nominated for multiple Academy Awards or did boffo box office....I thought the whole "digibook" gimmick was being used for more "important" or "historic" or "critically acclaimed" works....

Considering how this one was treated on DVD (no special edition, just a basic double sided widescreen/full screen DVD-5 in a snapper case), I really would have just expected this to be released as one of Warner's "budget" titles, like Eraser was...

Abe. 12-29-08 11:54 PM

Definite buy for me.

tylergfoster 12-30-08 05:10 AM

I'm glad they used that picture -- that's the one I'd have used.

Hope this has some decent features. A commentary, deleted scenes, retrospective doc and trailers would be good enough for me.

kefrank 12-30-08 08:45 AM

Agreed. It's not a bad movie or anything, but I don't think it deserves a Digibook.

Mr. Cinema 12-30-08 09:10 AM

This title certainly should have been part of their "budget" line. But I'll get it when it's $20. I like digibooks.

Spiky 12-30-08 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9161889)
One of my all-time favorite movies. It never did get fair treatment on DVD. I'd upgrade if the price is right.

Amen. Wish it was a normal box, though.

Abe. 12-30-08 09:10 PM

If you guys just want the regular box, rent it at Blockbuster, and then just keep the case :)

Mikael79 12-30-08 09:27 PM

I've been waiting for a decent release of this film for so long, that I'll take it in any packaging they release it in, except for a snapper. :)

DVD Polizei 12-30-08 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9162798)
Considering how this one was treated on DVD (no special edition, just a basic double sided widescreen/full screen DVD-5 in a snapper case), I really would have just expected this to be released as one of Warner's "budget" titles, like Eraser was...

See, this is what is PISSING ME THE FUCK OFF on this whole thing with Blu-ray. Ok, studios made mistakes on DVDs. Ok, I give'em some slack there for their retardation.

But now, we have a brand new start, and what does WB do. They put Amadeus and The Shawshank Redemption on the same level as...Falling Down. Now, I love the movie Falling Down. It's great. But it isn't no fucking Amadeus, either. Just look at the awards for it. How many did Falling Down get. Edgar Allan Poe Award. ZERO Oscars. How many nominations did it get, even. Uhhh, two.

Now, how many did Amadeus get. Ummm, 8 Oscars, 32 other wins in other categories, and 12 nominations.

There's just no consistency with studios anymore.

What's next, WB. A Digibook of The Adventures Of Pluto Nash? Fuck yeah, can't wait for that one. Maybe include a full-length CD of Eddie Murphy's amazing voice on freshly-cut hits, made JUST FOR THE DIGIBOOK RELEASE.

Skoobooz 12-30-08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 9164928)
See, this is what is PISSING ME THE FUCK OFF on this whole thing with Blu-ray. Ok, studios made mistakes on DVDs. Ok, I give'em some slack there for their retardation.

But now, we have a brand new start, and what does WB do. They put Amadeus and The Shawshank Redemption on the same level as...Falling Down. Now, I love the movie Falling Down. It's great. But it isn't no fucking Amadeus, either. Just look at the awards for it. How many did Falling Down get. Edgar Allan Poe Award. ZERO Oscars. How many nominations did it get, even. Uhhh, two.

Now, how many did Amadeus get. Ummm, 8 Oscars, 32 other wins in other categories, and 12 nominations.

There's just no consistency with studios anymore.

What's next, WB. A Digibook of The Adventures Of Pluto Nash? Fuck yeah, can't wait for that one. Maybe include a full-length CD of Eddie Murphy's amazing voice on freshly-cut hits, made JUST FOR THE DIGIBOOK RELEASE.

Okay...while there's certainly a point to be made about Blu-ray being an opportunity to "start over" and learn from the positives and negatives of DVD, I don't see how that extends to how a studio celebrates one of its titles. I'm not a fan of Falling Down, but if the studio gives it a Digibook, I'm not going to get upset about it.

Anyway...I agree that it's an interesting choice for a Digibook, but I don't agree that it's somehow leading to an Adventures of Pluto Nash Digibook or the downfall of "consistency."