Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Foreign Cinema in BLU (part 2)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Foreign Cinema in BLU (part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Foreign Cinema in BLU (part 2)

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Is this Gomorra you are talking about?

If so, does it have English subs?
Gomorra is English-friendly and Region-Free. Fire away!

Pro-B
Old 01-06-09, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: [Rec]

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Can anyone here recommend a specific version of [Rec] to buy (must have English subs), and a reputable online retailer to order it from?

I'm using an HTPC for playback, so I don't have any immediate concerns regarding region coding or anything like that.

Thanks!
You must be very careful with this disc (if you should opt for the Spanish BD for example). Unless you have a Region-B machine you won't be able to playback it on a US TV (very few sets here support 50hz and the disc content is indeed in 50hz).

Tell me more about your HTPC set up (I don't think it should be a problem viewing the disc on it) and monitor.

Por-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-06-09 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
You must be very careful with this disc (if you should opt for the Spanish BD for example). Unless you have a Region-B machine you won't be able to playback it on a US TV (very few sets here support 50hz and the disc content is indeed in 50hz).

Tell me more about your HTPC set up (I don't think it should be a problem viewing the disc on it) and monitor.

Por-B
There's little point in buying [rec] on Blu-Ray as the whole film was shot on DV - at least with 28 Days Later you had a minute of footage in 35mm at the end...
Old 01-06-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't run into any trouble with the above titles (aside from a few of the PAL extras which you will not be able to playback on your PS3). The main features are perfectly playable on Region-A PS3.

For future reference: the only time you would run into any sort of trouble with a region-free disc is if the main menu is in PAL (none of the titles above have PAL menus). Examples: Zatoichi, Somers Town, Stephen Fry in America, etc. If the main menu is in PAL your Region-A PS3 will not be able to bypass it. There are no audio issues to be expected from non Region-A titles (certainly not related to the "conversion" process).

Pro-B
You wouldn't happen to know which ones have PAL extras, would you? And if you don't, do you know where I could find out?
Old 01-06-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Review for the region-free UK release of Hidden on Blu here...
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/69732/hidden.html
Old 01-06-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ali_b
There's little point in buying [rec] on Blu-Ray as the whole film was shot on DV - at least with 28 Days Later you had a minute of footage in 35mm at the end...
The European releases offer an audio upgrade of either PCM or DTS-HD Master.

Pro-B
Old 01-06-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by big e
You wouldn't happen to know which ones have PAL extras, would you? And if you don't, do you know where I could find out?

The Boys from Brazil has only a trailer in the extras department. The rest I believe are all fine as far as US playback is concerned (for the extras).

Pro-B
Old 01-06-09, 05:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't remember what equipment is in the HTPC, but I do know that I've had absolutely no problems with 50hz DVDs. I also have AnyDVD HD installed (latest update), so the region-coding isn't a problem.

Por-B[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ali_b
Actually, [REC] was filmed with HD DV cameras, so it does indeed benefit from having a Blu-ray release
Old 01-06-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Unfortunately, I don't remember what equipment is in the HTPC, but I do know that I've had absolutely no problems with 50hz DVDs.
Then you could pick the Spanish (English-friendly) release. Choose one of the retailers mentioned in the chart on the top of this thread.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-06-09, 05:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^
seems like only dvdgo has it. The price isn't bad, but shipping to Canada is 20.01 euros! I'll have to think about it
Old 01-06-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Boys from Brazil has only a trailer in the extras department. The rest I believe are all fine as far as US playback is concerned (for the extras).

Pro-B
Alright, thanks.
Old 01-09-09, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Kurosawa bluray?

Anybody got any information about this?

Not sure if it should be placed in the INT forum or here, but I chose here.

Akira Kurosawa Blu-ray Box (Limited Edition)

Set includes: 'Rashomon', 'Ran', 'Madadayo', and 'The Quiet Duel (Shizukanaru Ketto)'

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=3205

I was hoping for English subtitles, but I don't see any ATM.
Old 01-09-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Re: Kurosawa bluray?

CD Japan's website lists only Japanese subtitles.
Old 01-09-09, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The European releases offer an audio upgrade of either PCM or DTS-HD Master.

Pro-B
And the original footage is SUPPOSED to be shot on 1080i, but when I saw this at the Cinema it looked like 576i. When I was watching it at the cinema I thought that if I had known, I would have mail ordered the SD DVD from Spain months before.

Also note that the Japanese blu-ray release has been converted to 1080i60 which is more widely viewable in the USA - except that the Japanese release doesnt have English subs.

Frustrating release this one.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 01-09-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You watch this on 35mm in the cinema? Because very few prints went round; most places just used digibeta. I saw it projected off both and it looked a heck of a lot better on 35, where it was clear it had been shot on hd cameras.
Old 01-10-09, 04:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelpotato
You watch this on 35mm in the cinema? Because very few prints went round; most places just used digibeta. I saw it projected off both and it looked a heck of a lot better on 35, where it was clear it had been shot on hd cameras.
Im positive I didn't see a 35mm print.

Can anyone comment on what any of the various blu-rays look like?
Old 01-13-09, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Shot in the dark, but does there happen to be any info on the Best of Youth coming to BR?
Old 01-13-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abaez
Shot in the dark, but does there happen to be any info on the Best of Youth coming to BR?
Nothing by Giordana has been announced or even rumored in Italy.

Pro-B
Old 01-16-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

update:

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-16-09 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Set to be released in HK on January 21st.

TimeOut Hong-Kong:
Connected – action director Benny Chan’s official remake of Hollywood blockbuster Cellular – is not the first Hong Kong rip-off of a Hollywood film, but it is the first to actually admit it. An exhilarating joyride of a movie, it trumps its original in most conceivable aspects, from the more explosive car chases to the subtler fine-tuning of its tone and character settings. Some would suggest that the product placement is better executed here, too – and who’s to argue with that?

Following an unlikely hero (Bob, played by Louis Koo) who races through Hong Kong’s cityscape to stay on the line with a kidnapped woman calling on a broken phone (Grace, played by Taiwanese actress Barbie Hsu), the story’s premise stretches the limits of credibility, but works wonders as an excuse for a frenzied action movie, if not also a mobile phone advertisement. Sometimes you just have to give it to the advertisers: four years on since Cellular, they’ve now seamlessly integrated such technologies as phone map, video calling, and MMS into the tight storyline.

The plot, as if it really matters, comes down to this: how many multiple car crashes could you willingly cause only minutes into a phone call from a total stranger pleading for help? The answer: ‘many’ – this film is to be enjoyed for its hyper-kinetic set-pieces more than anything else. As a result, every action sequence in Connected has been turned up a notch from the original: when the kidnappers capture Grace, they don’t just break into her house, but decide to crash straight into her car at full speed; when Bob’s car accidentally runs into the wrong lane, it’s not just about a few swerving cars, but a truly spectacular multiple car crash, and the collapse of a huge scaffolding, only coming to a halt after colliding with a truckload of Pepsi’s newest product. Talk about timing.

Leaving aside Chan’s usual brilliant handling of action, the director has also surprisingly shown a deft hand in cutting out the B-movie-ish crap from Cellular, which arguably kept the original from becoming a truly respectable film. Doing away with Jessica Biel’s annoying ex-girlfriend character, the green facemask on a disgruntled William H. Macy, and the “Ricky Martin” jokes of the original, Connected even finds time to pull a few heartstrings by making its protagonist a debt-collecting single father striving not to upset his young son – a fantastic touch when one compares him with the original’s pathetic protagonist, who races against time just to please his ex-girlfriend (who, by the way, despises him).

While it’s clear that Chan does try hard to smooth out the implausibility of the material (like changing the profession of Grace ‘the miracle phone rescuer’ from a high-school teacher to an electronics engineer), there are inevitably some missteps in his grand scheme of ramping everything up: among others, the setting of a pivotal scene at a popular site for model plane enthusiasts strikes me as an unintentional insult on the kidnappers’ intelligence.

But then again, I only managed to recognise these flaws upon retrospective reflection – something that this film is clearly not designed for. Back in the cinema, I was pretty convinced that this is one of the most enjoyable films to come out of Hong Kong this year. Edmund Lee
Pro-B
Old 01-25-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised by how many people don't shop Canadian. I ordered 21 Grams and Taxi Driver - 2 of my favorite movies from Amazon.ca. Also, Se7en is available through pre-order for a March date.

I don't understand why more people didn't buy Sin City or From Dusk Till Dawn. Alliance releases are great.
Old 01-26-09, 12:11 AM

Bound has been released in Japan and the french M6Video will release it on May 27.

Japan

France
Old 01-26-09, 10:21 AM
Banned

I would love to get Bound but is so expensive!
Old 01-26-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

More details on, likely region-free Blu-ray release of Brief Encounter from DVD Times...

TV DVD have announced the UK Blu-ray Disc release of Brief Encounter on 2nd February 2009 priced at £19.99 RRP. Noel Coward’s sensitive portrayal of what happens when two happily married strangers, played by Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard, meet and their acquaintance deepens into affection and love. David Lean directs.

Features on this digitally restored Blu-ray Special Edition include:

* 1080P 4:3
* Dolby Digital 2.0
* English subtitles
* Documentary “A profile of Brief Encounter”
* Stills Gallery
* Theatrical Trailer
* Brief Encounter restoration featurette

Extras are presented in 720P.

Old 01-26-09, 06:17 PM

Has anyone picked up the UK BD of Elite Squad? If so, is it region free?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.