Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Octopuses give eight thumbs up for high-def TV

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common...794225193.html
Sharing a movie with an insensitive eight-armed animal may not be every woman's perfect date.

Renata Pronk did it for science, and made two significant discoveries.

Her unsettling news for Christmas revellers preparing to tuck into seafood platters is that octopuses can watch television and understand at least some of what they see. Discriminating viewers, however, they enjoy only high-definition programs.

In a second finding, the Macquarie University marine biology researcher resolved a long scientific debate, discovering that octopuses, despite their intelligence, lack individual personalities.

"Octopuses," Miss Pronk said, "are very smart. I have seen my octopuses open Vegemite jars by unscrewing the lid. They can find their way through mazes to reach food rewards at the end.

"And they can learn simple puzzles", recognising that symbols, such as squares or circles, mean food is available.

"The definition of personality," she said, "is having repetition in your responses, for example, being consistently bold, or consistently shy, or consistently aggressive."

To resolve the debate she collected 32 common Sydney, or gloomy, octopuses from Chowder Bay, near Mosman, and showed them a series of three-minute videos screened on a monitor in front of their tank.

One video featured a crab, an octopus delicacy.

A second starred another octopus, while a third had a "novel object" they would not have seen: a plastic bottle swinging on a string.

Miss Pronk then watched each octopus for any consistent response pattern, such as boldness or aggression.

When the crab movie was screened "they jetted straight over to the monitor and tried to attack it", she said, adding that was strong evidence they knew they were watching food.

When the octopus movie was screened some became aggressive while others changed their skin camouflage or "would go and hide in a corner, moving as far away as possible".

On viewing the swinging bottle, some puffed themselves up, just in case the object was a threat, while others paid no attention.

But significantly, when the experiment was repeated over several days, she found no consistent response from any octopus. Such random responses implied octopuses have no individual personalities.

She suspected previous efforts to show movies to octopuses failed because their sophisticated eyes were too fast for the 24-frame per second format of standard-definition video.

"They would have seen it as a series of still pictures," said Miss Pronk, who had success using high-definition, operating at 50 frames per second.

She confessed that her work made it difficult to dine on octopus. "I know how smart they are. They are beautiful animals."
Source: The Sun-Herald
Therefore, octopuses are smarter than J6P, who have unsophisticated eyes.
Old 12-22-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
My favorite part of the article, "But significantly, when the experiment was repeated over several days, she found no consistent response from any octopus. Such random responses implied octopuses have no individual personalities."

It's funny, the way people talk about the mythical J6P, he or she has no individual personality either. But they do seem to prefer 24 frames per minute, over 50.

-beebs
Old 12-22-08, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Perhaps the octopus definition of personality differs from the human definition.
Old 12-22-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Yet another reason why octopuses are awesome.
Old 12-22-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Awesome reach-arounds.
Old 12-22-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, so the frame rate is the difference between SD and HD? Wouldn't SD be 25fps in Australia anyway since it's PAL? Man, even the scientific researchers don't understand this stuff.

Or am I overthinking this, and I'm supposed to just say this is a cute story?
Old 12-22-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not to get too confusing, but frame rates are the same for HD as they are SD. At least in 99% of the situations I know of.
Old 12-22-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if they made them watch a certain James Bond movie?
Old 12-22-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Talk about Blu Balls for Bond.
Old 12-24-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Okay, so the frame rate is the difference between SD and HD? Wouldn't SD be 25fps in Australia anyway since it's PAL? Man, even the scientific researchers don't understand this stuff.

Or am I overthinking this, and I'm supposed to just say this is a cute story?
That's the first thing that popped into my head when I read the article. Does she think HD means a different frame rate? Cos the frame rate is totally dependant on the material being presented (and the display device used to reproduce the image).
Old 12-24-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
You probably can't tell, but I'm . Except where I got up to type.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That's the first thing that popped into my head when I read the article. Does she think HD means a different frame rate? Cos the frame rate is totally dependant on the material being presented (and the display device used to reproduce the image).
If their 'eyes are too fast', then I suppose the critter could be seeing the lines in the interlaced signal too clearly, which is annoying. And that's if it's a CRT, not LCD, in which case they are probably both 60Hz. But still, that's quite a leap to make. I'd say all she proved is that octopuses can recognize 2D versions of objects they are accustomed to seeing in 3D. Not all animals can, it seems.

Good quoting material, though.
Old 12-25-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-25-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Maybe they just got bored with reruns.