DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Batman: 20th Anniversary Edition 2-Disc Digibook 3/31/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/543581-batman-20th-anniversary-edition-2-disc-digibook-3-31-09-a.html)

Mr. Cinema 11-12-08 04:16 PM

Batman: 20th Anniversary Edition 2-Disc Digibook 3/31/09

From DVDReview.com

Warner celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Tim Burton’s Batman

We just got word that Warner Home Video is preparing a 20th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman on Blu-Ray Disc for release in March.
Jack Nicholson is the Joker, who emerged from a horrible accident as a maniacal criminal. Michael Keaton is the Caped Crusader, who emerged from a childhood trauma to become a masked crimefighter. Kim Basinger is Vicki Vale, the talented photojournalist desired by both men. And Batman is the movie, the all-out spectacular directed by Tim Burton, set to songs by Prince and a music score by Danny Elfman, and an Academy AwardO winner* for Best Art Direction/Set Decoration (Anton Furst and Peter Young).
No exact details or specs have been announced yet, but the release will comes as a 2-disc Digibook version, containing a BD-25 disc for the movie and a separate DVD for the bonus materials.
The release date for “Batman” is tentatively scheduled for March 31, but we’ll keep you informed on any new developments of announcements we’ll hear of.

My hope is we get nice cover art (Not what we were handed for the BOX set a few years back. Very Boring and the fonts BAD.)

Cartload 11-12-08 04:17 PM

Has it already been 20 years? Yikes. Not sure if I'll get this though. I bought the SE DVD in 2005 and still haven't gotten around to watching it.

Gizmo 11-12-08 04:21 PM

I'm glad this is getting released...but its a BD25 and the second disc is a normal DVD? I guess that means al lfeatures will be in SD.

applesandrice 11-12-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9068461)
From DVDReview.com

Warner celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Tim Burton’s Batman

We just got word that Warner Home Video is preparing a 20th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman on Blu-Ray Disc for release in March.
Jack Nicholson is the Joker, who emerged from a horrible accident as a maniacal criminal. Michael Keaton is the Caped Crusader, who emerged from a childhood trauma to become a masked crimefighter. Kim Basinger is Vicki Vale, the talented photojournalist desired by both men. And Batman is the movie, the all-out spectacular directed by Tim Burton, set to songs by Prince and a music score by Danny Elfman, and an Academy AwardO winner* for Best Art Direction/Set Decoration (Anton Furst and Peter Young).
No exact details or specs have been announced yet, but the release will comes as a 2-disc Digibook version, containing a BD-25 disc for the movie and a separate DVD for the bonus materials.
The release date for “Batman” is tentatively scheduled for March 31, but we’ll keep you informed on any new developments of announcements we’ll hear of.

My hope is we get nice cover art (Not what we were handed for the BOX set a few years back. Very Boring and the fonts BAD.)

A whole BD25 all to itself??!! With state of the art DD 5.1, too, no doubt . . .

I'll keep my DVD boxset.

gryffinmaster 11-12-08 04:34 PM

Maybe they're planning on recycling the second disc from the two-disc edition. But it goes without saying ...

No HD Audio, No Sale. The track on the standard-definition disc is very good as-is, along with the image.

Gizmo 11-12-08 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 9068508)
Maybe they're planning on recycling the second disc from the two-disc edition. But it goes without saying ...

No HD Audio, No Sale. The track on the standard-definition disc is very good as-is, along with the image.

I'm sure thats exactly what they plan on doing (like they did with Blade Runner for example). Shame.

fumanstan 11-12-08 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9068461)

Well outside of the logo, the cover art is just the bat symbol which is perfect as far as i'm concerned. The font does suck though.

Supermallet 11-12-08 04:54 PM

All I want is Batman Returns on Blu-ray.

jackson walker 11-12-08 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9068548)
All I want is Batman Returns on Blu-ray.

I was thinking the same thing. As much as I like the first Batman, the chance to see Michelle Pfeiffer in Hi Def is too much to pass up.

Zen Peckinpah 11-12-08 05:36 PM

This is already 20 years old? Fuck.

Will buy once more info comes in.

Frozenhamster 11-12-08 07:15 PM

I don't understand you guys. It's quite clear that any newly announced Warner title is going to have HD audio. The only reason any were still coming out without it is because production on them was finalized before Warner decided to go all HD audio. I'm not sure what the last Warner movie title without HD audio was, but I doubt there are many or even any more left, and once they all come out then we're left with HD on ever release.

GenPion 11-12-08 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster (Post 9068799)
I don't understand you guys. It's quite clear that any newly announced Warner title is going to have HD audio. The only reason any were still coming out without it is because production on them was finalized before Warner decided to go all HD audio. I'm not sure what the last Warner movie title without HD audio was, but I doubt there are many or even any more left, and once they all come out then we're left with HD on ever release.

Are you sure? I mean, even recent titles like Journey to the Center of the Earth and Get Smart lacked HD audio.

As long as this has HD audio this Blu-ray will be mine. I hope they release Batman Returns at the same time too (and also as a Digibook). Then I will own all the Batman films in High Definition that I need.

dx23 11-12-08 08:06 PM

From thedigitalbits.com:

First, remember our Rumor Mill post about the older Batman films coming to Blu-ray Disc? Well, not only are they officially announced for Japanese release in February '09, they hit stores next month (12/29) in the U.K., and they're set for release in Australia in January. (Thanks to all you readers who sent links.) So they're coming soon here in the States too, rest assured. Watch for announcements in the next few weeks. We posted the official art in The Rumor Mill the other day too, but here it is again (along with the BD art for Fox's Babylon A.D., due on 1/6)...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...thologybrd.jpghttp://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl.../batmanbrd.jpg
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...returnsbrd.jpghttp://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...foreverbrd.jpg
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ndrobinbrd.jpg

Gizmo 11-12-08 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster (Post 9068799)

Get Smart, which came out last week, does not include HD Audio.

Supermallet 11-12-08 08:24 PM

Now that I think about it, I'll probably also get Batman Forever. I like that cover a lot better than the one they had in the DVD box set as well.

fumanstan 11-12-08 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9068913)
Now that I think about it, I'll probably also get Batman Forever. I like that cover a lot better than the one they had in the DVD box set as well.

Yeah, the other regions DVD set had all of those cool covers with the different logos. The ones here were lame, outside of the original as far as i'm concerned :(

Nick Martin 11-12-08 08:55 PM

What does it matter if THIS particular film has HD audio? The 5.1 track (Dolby and DTS) aren't all that great considering it's just a remix, and not much of one. I don't get why that would be the dealbreaker, again specifically with this film.

Returns and Forever?

Sure, I mean the audio for those films is fantastic so I'd understand the complaint for those two.

Supermallet 11-12-08 09:07 PM

The complaint is that all Blu-ray titles should have HD audio, period.

dsa_shea 11-12-08 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 9068955)
What does it matter if THIS particular film has HD audio? The 5.1 track (Dolby and DTS) aren't all that great considering it's just a remix, and not much of one. I don't get why that would be the dealbreaker, again specifically with this film.

Returns and Forever?

Sure, I mean the audio for those films is fantastic so I'd understand the complaint for those two.

Because if they can't even bother giving us at least an uncompressed audio track then why the hell should we throw more money at WB for titles we have already purchased at least once. A 25 gb Blu-Ray with all of the extras on a DVD doesn't sound too appealling to me and will be even less with a lossy audio track.

PopcornTreeCt 11-12-08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9068977)
The complaint is that all Blu-ray titles should have HD audio, period.

:up:

I hope Blu-ray doesn't keep the same trend as DVDs did...

First we had crappy expensive releases...then we got super duper inexpensive editions with booklets...then we got special editions without inserts for $7-$10 more money or you can buy the "bare bones" edition for the same price you used to pay for the special edition...and now DVDs are still expensive and picture quality is purposely degraded to make the next format look even better.

I hope Blu-ray's golden era hasn't already passed us by.

DeanoBKN 11-12-08 09:55 PM

I'm in for Batman and Batman Forever.

DieselsDen 11-12-08 10:01 PM

Well - and I acknowledge that only a few will care - I hope that they include Prince's "full version" of his PARTYMAN video. The one on the last set was edited.

NiCK Crush 11-12-08 10:37 PM

I'm a sucker for Batman, these will be mine... yes, even B&R

GenPion 11-12-08 10:46 PM

Sweet covers! Both Batman and Batman Returns should be awesome in HD. I only ever had the old snapper case editions for the films so hopefully the upgrade will be well worth it. In fact, since I already sold those editions back when I planned on getting the two disc editions, this should work out nicely for me. Batman Forever used to be a fun flick IMHO but the more I've seen it the more it's lost my interest. And now with a more definitive incarnation of Two Face in The Dark Knight I don't really know if I'll miss Batman Forever at all. Batman and Robin can best be left forgotten altogether.

Zen Peckinpah 11-12-08 11:38 PM

Batman and Batman Returns for me.