Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

FIREFLY BD reviews soon?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

FIREFLY BD reviews soon?

Old 11-09-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIREFLY BD reviews soon?

Curious about this, as I've heard a lot about how the HD broadcasts of the show featured up-converted effects.

Also, if it's supposed to be in surround sound is it a new mix or a faux-surround effect like the Star Trek TV DVDs had.
Old 11-09-08, 08:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
AVSForum has a review up.
Old 11-09-08, 08:39 PM

Headed there now.
Old 11-09-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, it looks like this one is a winner afterall.
Old 11-09-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Also, if it's supposed to be in surround sound is it a new mix or a faux-surround effect like the Star Trek TV DVDs had.
I don't get the comparison. Firefly was mixed in surround from its inception. Start Trek: TOS was mono. Why would a remix be necessary for Firefly?
Old 11-09-08, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I don't get the comparison. Firefly was mixed in surround from its inception. Start Trek: TOS was mono. Why would a remix be necessary for Firefly?
I wasn't talking about TOS. I haven't seen or heard that show in surround sound but the later ones (TNG, DS9, Voyager) were mixed for 2.0, and all they did was extract the dialogue track and make it a discrete center, then upmixed the rest to create the illusion of true surround. Better than Dolby Pro-Logic, but not that much.

Firefly was Dolby surround as well, so that's why I wanted to know if it was remixed from scratch or upmixed like the Trek shows were.
Old 12-02-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
So the DVDTalk review says the CGI isn't bad. Can somebody else comment on this? I'm curious how the 480 content transfered to 1080p.
Old 12-02-08, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
So the DVDTalk review says the CGI isn't bad. Can somebody else comment on this? I'm curious how the 480 content transfered to 1080p.
The CGI is at times very soft, but not too distracting if you just accept the fact that it's SD. Unfortunately effects shots involving actors also suffer from that soft look, but since the vast majority of the episode's content are true HD, it's forgivable. To me anyway but to each their own. The space shots aren't as soft as some of the land-based CG shots are, and Serenity herself still looks impressive.

The audio was NOT simply upmixed as I initially feared it would be, so that it's true 5.1 is a pleasant surprise and joy to listen to.
Old 12-02-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder what kind of budget would be required to redo the FX shots.

Do the plates and CG files exist so that a re-render/re-composite would do it, or would the shots have to be re-built with new models, animation, etc.?

Anybody want to place odds on our ever seeing a "full HD" edition?
Old 05-05-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: FIREFLY BD reviews soon?

So is this worth an upgrade over the regular DVD? It's an option for my Amazon Gold-Box Vote. Yay or nay - what say you?

Other options are: Superhero Blu-ray Collection (Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 / Ghost Rider: Extended Cut / Hellboy: Director's Cut / Underworld / Underworld Evolution); Austin Powers Collection; Ocean's Trilogy ; The Mummy Trilogy
Old 05-05-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
So is this worth an upgrade over the regular DVD?
It was for me. Bought the BDs for $20, sold the DVDs for $12.
Old 05-05-09, 09:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't talking about TOS. I haven't seen or heard that show in surround sound but the later ones (TNG, DS9, Voyager) were mixed for 2.0, and all they did was extract the dialogue track and make it a discrete center, then upmixed the rest to create the illusion of true surround. Better than Dolby Pro-Logic, but not that much.

Firefly was Dolby surround as well, so that's why I wanted to know if it was remixed from scratch or upmixed like the Trek shows were.
I don't think that is quite right. I'm pretty sure all the later ST shows were mixed at least for Dolby Pro-Logic, and the DVD's were all remixed for true 5.1
Old 05-05-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't seen any screencaps of the upscaled FX shots anywhere. Can anyone point me to some?
Old 05-05-09, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I don't think that is quite right. I'm pretty sure all the later ST shows were mixed at least for Dolby Pro-Logic, and the DVD's were all remixed for true 5.1
I deconstructed the 5.1 mix, breaking it down into its front stereo, center, LFE and rear stereo tracks (which I do all the time because I'm a fan of film music, so I often take audio from DVDs and make something out of them) and the rear surrounds are clearly derived from the front stereo mix, but with a slight reverb added to it. This is especially noticeable when doors open or someone presses a door chime or buttons on the computer panel - if those sounds aren't in the center with the dialogue, then you are surrounded by them when realistically they would be in the front channels only.

A lot of the DS9 battle scenes were what I listened to most when comparing what's in front versus what's behind in the mix.

In fact, that reverb is all that makes the 5.1 mix unique compared to turning on Pro Logic when listening to the 2.0 track. If you select another DSP setting on a receiver, you'll probably get one that sounds the same.
Old 05-05-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I still haven't seen any screencaps of the upscaled FX shots anywhere. Can anyone point me to some?
There are some shots in the review at DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...es_blu-ray.htm

However, they are not full size, so this may or may not help you, but at least it is something!
(For some reason, the review at blu-ray.com does not feature even one FX shot in their ten full size screenshots.....)
Old 05-05-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
There are some shots in the review at DVD Beaver:
Thanks! Those are of limited use, considering their limited size, but at least it's a start. I've seen several reviews with screenshots now, and that's the first with any FX shots at all. Very surprising since all the reviews talk about the upconversion issue. You'd think they'd want to share an example.
Old 05-05-09, 04:37 PM

At the very least, the effects shots may be SD but they are better looking than the DVD because they don't have the compression issues DVD has.
Old 05-05-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The upgrade to Blu-ray is easily worth it for this series. After a couple of episodes it became quite easy for me to ignore the visual difference of the upconverted effects and the rest of the picture.
Old 05-05-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

At the very least, the effects shots may be SD but they are better looking than the DVD because they don't have the compression issues DVD has.
Bingo. Even with these upconverted sections, the entire series looks great in HD.
Old 06-08-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm late to the party but the show looks phenomenal. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the FX myself. I'm not as demanding as a lot of the folks here though.

Oh and Morena Baccarin and Jewel Staite in HD?
Old 06-09-09, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Stryker336
I also never had a problem with the FX. For a show from 2001 on a fairly low budget it looks great.
2002 actually.

I've yet to watch the show on Blu-ray, mainly because I recently watched the whole thing again on DVD before I got the Blus.
Old 06-09-09, 08:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Amazon has it on the Gold Box sale today for $39.99
Old 06-09-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Amazon has it on the Gold Box sale today for $39.99
Pretty disappointing "sale" price if you ask me, after all the voting hype and what not....I only paid a couple bucks more for it all the way back last November! I think they should have gone with 29.99 if they really wanted it to be a noteworthy deal....
Old 06-09-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, bringing back fond memories of picking the BD set up on Boxing Day for $29.99

Last edited by Yavin; 06-09-09 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-09-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Stryker336
I also never had a problem with the FX. For a show from 2001 on a fairly low budget it looks great.
The problem isn't the design of the FX. It's that they were only rendered in Standard Definition. Therefore, any shot with a CG element anywhere in the frame must be upconverted from SD. From shot-to-shot, the scenes alternate from real HD, to upconverted SD, and back again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.