Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

It was ok

If you want to see a guy a dude browse and surf the internet for close to 100 minutes this is for you.
Old 12-03-18, 08:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Finally watched Ant-Man & The Wasp this evening. That was a FUN movie!
Old 12-05-18, 08:13 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Europa Report this evening. Good flick!
Old 12-06-18, 08:29 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched The Last Days on Mars this evening. Another good flick!
Old 12-07-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems all the Narco fans hate this movie but I have never seen the show but liked the movie

Old 12-09-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of a goofy movie. Haven't decided how I feel about it yet.

Old 12-09-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-09-18, 08:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Deadpool 2: Super Duper $@%!#& Cut this evening.
Old 12-13-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-13-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Loved it!

Sly, risqué, sophisticated, charmingly warm and human. Everything I would expect from a teaming up of Noel Coward and Ernst Lubitsch. Also, like the better pre-codes could be, it had a refreshingly modern sensibility to how it viewed it's characters and their conflicts.

Had I caught this when I was in my late teens/early twenties, the time I originally discovered the Powell & Loy films, I would have spent the last quarter century revering it just as much as I have those.
Old 12-16-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 12-16-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will never be confused with classic Disney or Pixar but an entertaining, safe for the whole family Christmas movie about the birth of Christ from the animal's point of view

Should have revisited this before watching the latest one. But all the talk about it had me needing to refresh my memory.
Old 12-16-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We just watched Rogue Nation today too! I needed a refresher before watching Fallout, which we just picked up from the library.
Old 12-16-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had planned to watch Rogue Nation after finally seeing Fallout. Didn't realize there was continuity involved.
Should I go back and watch Ghost Protocol before Fallout as well or is it just RN that's referenced?

I used to think of myself as a huge Billy Wilder fan, but I guess that's only because of a few films which are among my favorite of all time. There seems to be a whole bunch that I could really take or leave.
This was one of the latter.

Cagney is a force of nature and he has scenes here where he must be reading, at a rapid clip, a full page and a half of dialogue in a single shot. What he's able to achieve is technically impressive, although the film as a whole seems a little too manic for it's own good and it's exhausting while often feeling forced. Though I was amused with all the references to previous Cagney performances Easter egged throughout the film.

Not something I'll be revisiting anytime soon, if ever.

Pretty confident I was going to enjoy it, but I actually ended up loving it. It's clustered right up there with Guardians 1 and Winter Soldier as my favorite non Avengers MCU entry.

One thing I very much appreciated was the lower, more personal stakes at play, especially coming after IW. Also Ghost/Ava (Eva?) was a huge improvement for me over the more rote villain in the first one.

Despite a massive backlog that I'm finally starting to work my way through regularly, it's going to be hard to resist watching this again at some point over the winter.
Then again, I guess that's the beauty of owning the thing in the first place.
Old 12-16-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but not as good as the first movie and unnecessary.

It was ok but just another revenge vigilante movie but this time with a girl.

The Brave One with Jodie Foster was better

Old 12-19-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unlike with Wilder, almost every single new-to-me Powell & Pressburger I see turns out to be a major, moving delight (still haven't seen Peeping Tom yet though).

Sublime film, ravishing looking disc.

Only my second time watching this, and the first was off a dvd rental.

I know this one rubs some (many?) fans the wrong way, but this is now probably my favorite stand alone IM film. I think the first time, knowing a bunch of fans weren't happy with it, I was on guard through the whole thing. Knowing what was coming, this time I was able to just kick back and the experience was a blast.

I found Black's work solid, and never thought it drowned out- or was drowned out by- the need to hit more than a few MCU marks in advance of future films. A solid, story & character based entry.

Milius's attempt at a SoCal surfer culture version of Last Picture Show, yields a beautiful looking and sounding (GREAT Basil Poledouris score) Bd, but I quickly remembered why I sold off the original dvd so quick after a first viewing.

The forced hi-jinx of "those lovable lead scamps" I found phony and insufferable less than ten minutes into the film. The home destroying party scene in the first act is like the party scene out of every shitty 80's teen comedy to come. It imparts all the solemn Milius sentimentalizing about time passing and growing up and away that follows, with a nasty saccharin aftertaste.
Old 12-21-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oscar worthy performances
Old 12-22-18, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cash On Demand from

I'd forgotten this was set around Christmas, which made for a nice apropos bonus.

Solid, atypical performance from Cushing as the friendless, martinet bank manager put under extreme pressure by Morrell's charming but ruthless leader of a criminal gang of bank robbers.

This was my favorite film on the Icons Of Suspense DVD set, and it lost nothing on this follow up viewing years later.

After seeing Ant-man And The Wasp recently, it made the abundance of cutsey, forced humor in this seem even more pronounced.

Still not a deal killer for me, since the film also gives me probably my favorite MCU villain so far with Blanchett's Hela, along with fleet support from Thompson and Urban, and the brightly gaudy, candy colored production design I've been wanting to see with this character from the start.

If Waititi needed to push that sensibility to elicit those performances and allow the cartoon design elements to feel more tonally coherent, so be it.

(The Silent Partner)

One of my all time favorites, and, imo, the best performance Gould has ever given. I don't think Plummer's ever been better either. His mascara wearing, misogynist sociopath still creeps me the F**k out.

The Japanese Studio-canal Bd starts off shaky for much of the first reel, with a soft, noisy image that looks little better than a non anamorphic DVD, but starts to tighten up after about ten minutes in. By the midway point it looks a lot better, though it still probably won't impress many people. It is a net improvement over the Lionsgate DVD and for that I'm happy to have it.
Old 12-23-18, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"The Cybernauts" from

Despite Michael Gough showing up as the evil mastermind, and adversaries that were popular enough to get a sequel return the following season, this has always been one of flatter, least interesting eps to me.
Though even a weak Avengers ep was still generally better than what 90% of it's contemporaries could muster.

The most amusing part of this ep, which hinges on the development of super small, micro transistors, was Gough's character's pitch about what advancements this (fictional) tech was going to usher in. All those then seemingly impossible sci-fi goodies are all commonplace today, along with many things that were never even envisioned here.

A slight disappointment despite being a fully solid enough film.

My problem was I went in expecting Green For Danger 2 and instead got something closer to a (still above average) episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with a class injustice theme crossed with, oddly enough, Scrooge.

Alastair Sim's Inspector Poole is basically a cypher, performing little more than master of ceremony duties as he elicits one flashback after another, quilting the story of a suicide victim's fateful interactions with the various members of a family of wealth and influence.
Old 12-23-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blake Lively's horrible acting ruined the movie.

Funny how a guy like Tom Hardy could play a so called loser with such credibility.

Back in the 80's when Eddie Murphy was funny

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 12-26-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Milius's attempt at a SoCal surfer culture version of Last Picture Show, yields a beautiful looking and sounding (GREAT Basil Poledouris score) Bd, but I quickly remembered why I sold off the original dvd so quick after a first viewing.

The forced hi-jinx of "those lovable lead scamps" I found phony and insufferable less than ten minutes into the film. The home destroying party scene in the first act is like the party scene out of every shitty 80's teen comedy to come. It imparts all the solemn Milius sentimentalizing about time passing and growing up and away that follows, with a nasty saccharin aftertaste.
Man, this remains one of my favorite movies of all time. It may not be for everyone, but I felt it was a great epic. I remember a story about Spielberg and Milius trading "points" (percentages of profits) on this movie and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, as each was convinced the other movie was going to be a bigger hit. Spielberg made like a nickel, and Milius is still to this day collecting some royalties from Spielberg's movie...

Again, I think Big Wednesday is a great movie, particularly the performances by Jan-Michael Vincent and Gary Busey (of all people)...The soundtrack is also great...
Old 12-24-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had the soundtrack for a few years now. It really is wonderful. I was just listening to it again yesterday as a matter of fact.

I was actually happy to see it get released on Bd because I was looking forward to revisiting this film and reevaluating it. I couldn't remember why I sold it off all those years ago, as I like the whole cast and was especially a big fan of Busey around this era (thanks to his turn as Buddy Holly). I was also excited to add another title with Lee Purcell to my Bd collection.

I was expecting to really like it this time (hence the purchase), but it just rang false to me from the get go, and was never able to woo me over after that.

Beautiful transfer/encoding though. I can't imagine any fan of the film not being thrilled with the presentation here.

That's a funny story about Milius and Spielberg.
Old 12-24-18, 08:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Gremlins (from the 2-Film Collection) this evening...

Old 12-25-18, 01:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

^ Watched Gremlins 2: The New Batch while we ate dinner.
Old 12-25-18, 08:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched A Christmas Horror Story this evening. Not bad...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.