Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 08:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S2): The Other Side and La Llorona.
Old 05-31-18, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter and I watched both Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 06-01-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JP 1 in 4K

I did not do an A/B comparison but I know this film well. I've owned it on VHS, LD, DVD, BR and now 4K. The color palette in HDR is a little more intense and takes some getting used to. The detail was amazing. The first appearance of the dinosaur was astounding. The sun reflecting off the dinos skin had detail I've never seen. Likewise the T-rex in the rain. It was almost like you could feel the scales and texture of their leathery hides. The audio even showing up as DTS-HD MASTER was superior to what I remember from the BR version.

Last edited by JimRochester; 06-02-18 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 08:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the DVD we'd started earlier today, watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S2): The Hour of Death and To Protect and Serve Man.
Old 06-01-18, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Wife got me the remastered Wrath of Khan for my birthday so I showed it to my son tonight. He was surprised it was so old, he thought it could have been made last year.
Old 06-01-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Zodiac Killer (1971)
Old 06-02-18, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jurassic Park - Lost World

Typical sequel in that it fails to deliver the excitement of the original but still has plenty of dinos, carnage and come-upance for the greedy InGen President. I watched this movie in 4K then put in the BR to watch a few scenes for comparison. The color pallette was very close. The detail on the 4K is simply stunning compared to the BR. I focused on several of the dino scenes and the skin textures are off the charts on the 4K disc.

Last edited by JimRochester; 06-03-18 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 11:46 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched an episode of Grimm (S2) while we ate dinner: Season of the Hexenbiest.

Last edited by kd5; 06-04-18 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Adventures of Priscilla
Old 06-02-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zodiac (Director's Cut) (2007)
Old 06-02-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

So long and it would never end

Spoiler:
My soldier would have saluted if I saw Jennifer Lawrence (not a huge fan of her) standing nude on a desk
Old 06-03-18, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angst (1983)
Old 06-03-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished up my unplanned JP marathon with JP III and Jurassic World on UHD last night. I didn't hate JP III as much as most people but did find the ending very anti-climactic. Good to see the return of Dr.'s Grant and Saddler.

Jurassic World I've watched several times recently and like Bryce Dallas Howard in the female role. She and Pratt work well off of each other. I didn't think either of the boys were very likeable but they apparently can get a 25 year old Jeep running off what appeared to be a motorcycle battery.
Old 06-03-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I didn't think either of the boys were very likeable but they apparently can get a 25 year old Jeep running off what appeared to be a motorcycle battery.
I need to hire 'em.
Old 06-03-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the creepy neighbor played by Jesse Plemens

I liked this better maybe the third time and was not a waste of money when I bought the Blu-ray.
Old 06-03-18, 08:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Weird coincidence: We watched Face/Off (Special Collector's Edition) this evening, followed it up with an episode of Grimm (S2): Face Off...

Old 06-04-18, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

The Offence. 1973 Sidney Lumet-directed movie starring Sean Connery. Was very impressed, especially by the acting of Sean Connery. At this point, he was still mainly known for Bond, but he really excelled in his role in this, as a police detective. It's also definitely one of Lumet's best movies...And I didn't know it was based on a play until after I watched it, but it totally made sense when I thought about it...A pretty grim movie, but very engrossing...Happy I bought the Kino Lorber Blu-Ray...
Old 06-04-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The X-Files: Season One - Pilot. Decided to start watching this series again. First off, I'd say that I really don't mind how the episodes are now in widescreen...As the reviews have stated, they at least covered the shots for widescreen, so there's very little that looks out of place...The picture quality is great, in my mind, and definitely several steps above the DVD versions (which I still own)...The pilot offers a great introduction to Mulder and Scully, and is just an all-around great pilot...I remember watching the first season from the very beginning, when it originally started airing...For the first several seasons, the episodes were on Friday nights, and it was really cool watching them at the time, and there'd usually be Star Trek: The Next Generation airing later on that same night...Going to be fun revisiting this series...

Spoiler:
Mulder and Scully are in Oregon investigating the mysterious deaths of four teens whose cause of death is unexplained. They dig up one of the bodies only to determine that it is not, in fact, the victim in question, and is most likely a chimpanzee (badly decomposed, I should add). They also find an odd "computer chip" inside the chimpanzee's nose. There's also odd markings on the bodies, which might be bite marks. They end up investigating one of the murder scenes and lose nine minutes of time, only awakening when their car loses power. Mulder provides some exposition about his character by telling Scully about the disappearance of his sister. They are called to the scene of an accident and return to their hotel to find that there rooms are on fire, meaning they lose al the evidence that they had collected. They end up going to some of the other graves only to find out that they've already been dug up. Turns out the sheriff's son has been doing the killing. Ends with a chilling scene involving the Cigarette Smoking Man.

I'd rank the episode 7/10. Great beginning to the series...nice introduction of the key characters...And the music by Mark Snow is phenomenal...
Old 06-04-18, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The X-Files: Season One - Deep Throat. A team of cops raid a house only to find a badly-burned occupant, shivering in a corner. A former test pilot.

Spoiler:
Mulder gets a warning from the Cigarette Smoking Man telling him to drop the case and leave it alone. Mulder finds out his phone is tapped before heading to Idaho with Scully. Mulder goes looking for UFOs at a military base. He spots two kids running away, one played by Seth Green, and helps them avoid a military helicopter. Takes them to a diner and asks them about what they've seen. The pilot that they are looking for suddenly returns, but his wife says it's not him. The two agents are accosted by a bunch of men in suits that destroy their evidence and tell them to leave town. Instead, Mulder ventures to the military base and trespasses, looking for answers. He sees what looks like a UFO but is then quickly detained. Scully detains a reporter who is actually working for the military. She asks him to call the base and ask for Mulder's whereabouts. She trades the fake reporter for Mulder, and then drives off, back to town.

Not a great episode, but a good indication of what was yet to come. I'd rate this one 7/10.
Old 06-04-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The X-Files: Season One - Squeeze. Baltimore. The first "monster-of-week" episodes of the series. A creature is visible in the sewer, and stalks a man back to his office. I remember this episode vividly from when I originally watched it...Very compelling, and much different than the first two episodes of the series...Guest-starring Donal Logue...

Spoiler:
Written by Morgan and Wong, who usually did the best "monsters-of-the-week episodes. Logue's character tells Scully some serial killer has been going around ripping people's livers out. Asks for her and Mulder's help. Mulder helps find a suspect in the ventilation ducts. He is interrogated. Released, he commits another murder. Mulder traces the killer as far back as 1903. Suspect is Eugene Tooms. Tooms tracks Scully to her home. Mulder manages to rush to Scully's and help save her from Tooms. He's caught.

Very good episode...Best of the season so far...Probably a rating of 8/10.
Old 06-04-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The X-Files: Season One - Conduit. A family is camping and sleeping. The camper starts vibrating and a mysterious light is outside. The kids outside start screaming. Their daughter, Ruby, is missing.

Spoiler:
Mulder and Scully meet one of Ruby's friends in the library, who tells them that Ruby was pregnant from some guy named Greg. The boy whose sister is missing knows something, and was taken and interrogated by the NSA. The mom blames Mulder and Scully for allowing him to be interrogated. Mulder presses on. Mulder finds a burial by a lake. It's Greg. He's dead. Apparently he impregnated some other girl, who was the one that put Mulder and Scully on the trail of Greg. The case brings up a lot of Mulder's memories of his sister.

I'd rank this one 7/10. Gives a lot of insight into Mulder's character...
Old 06-04-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The X-Files: Season One - The Jersey Devil. Starts in 1947, as a family drives down a road surrounded by the forest. They catch a flat. Something appears to attack the father as he changes the tire.

Spoiler:
Mulder takes up the case, as another similar incident just happened, involving a body that was found after being "cannibalized"...Coroner says the teeth marks are human. As per usual, the local authorities are against the FBI helping out (this, sadly, is almost a cliche when it comes to the series; every local law enforcement department seems to hate when Mulder and Scully try and help out; it'd be nice for a change if they welcomed their help, as this seems to be a long-term trope when it comes to shows involving the FBI)...A homeless man helps Mulder with the case. As per usual, the local authorities arrest him. Said he's obstructing the investigation. Scully goes to get him out of prison and then informs Mulder that she has a date. They employ an anthropologist to help them locate the so-called "Jersey Devil."

Not the best of the "monster-of-the-week" episodes, but it's pretty solid. I'd rate it 7/10.
Old 06-04-18, 08:39 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

We watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales this evening, followed by an episode of Grimm (S2): Natural Born Wesen...

Old 06-05-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Generic and boring
Old 06-05-18, 08:27 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Grimm (S2): Mr. Sandman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.