Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Disturbing and cool.
That is one twisted psychological thriller. Kiyoshi Kurosawa's masterpiece is IMO right up there with Se7en and Silence of the Lambs.
Still have the old HVE DVD and waiting for Criterion (it's on their filmstruck channel) to release it on Blu.

Last edited by inri222; 04-19-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 08:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Watched Stonehearst Asylum this evening. Crazy damned movie.....loved the ending

Old 04-20-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Vampires. Lesser Carpenter. Still decent, and I liked Daniel Baldwin and James Woods, but overall it wasn't that great. An okay movie.

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Heard lots and lots of great things about this movie, but I couldn't stand it. Keanu Reeves was horrible. Winona Ryder was pretty bad. Gary Oldman wasn't that great. Overall, the movie was just boring. The only thing I liked was parts of the beginning, with some cool matte paintings. I recently watched the 1931 Dracula movie, and would take that one over this one any day...Very disappointing...
Old 04-20-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
That is one twisted psychological thriller. Kiyoshi Kurosawa's masterpiece is IMO right up there with Se7en and Silence of the Lambs.
Still have the old HVE DVD and waiting for Criterion (it's on their filmstruck channel) to release it on Blu.
Oh wow, didn't realize Criterion had this on Filmstruck. I was curious about more of Kurosawa's work -- and I just noticed that I borrowed his "Penance" series from the library - it's 300 minutes. I'l get to that next at some point.
Old 04-21-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I could've sworn he was also in Blue Jasmine, which was fantastic. Have you seen that one? I'm really interested in seeing Wonder Wheel. What did you think of it?
Blue Jasmine was better.

Not a lot of likeable characters in Wonder Wheel. If you are a die-hard Woody Allen fan you might like it better.
Old 04-21-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was alright but if I knew how to play cards or poker it would have been better.
Old 04-22-18, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Great revenge Western with a characteristically stiff but sturdy Greg Peck , along with a solid supporting cast of familiar faces including Henry Silva, Lee Van Cleef, Stephen Boyd, George Voskovec, Adndrew Duggan, Albert Salmi, and a looking quite fetching in her younger days, Joan Collins.

Beautiful Cinemascope visuals that look to be from a recent re-master by Fox. Bright, colorful, and sharp with a healthy patina of grain and a relatively restrained use of teal in the grading. Started off watching it with the 5.1 track but the mixing sounded off. The 2.0 track came across much better.

Hell of a movie. Refreshing to finally see it again after years of nothing but unwatchable, non anamorphic standard def editions.
Old 04-22-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell of a movie. Refreshing to finally see it again after years of nothing but unwatchable, non anamorphic standard def editions.
I, too, enjoyed this one quite a bit. I especially liked how Boorman handled the lack of dialogue. And I thought the ambiguous ending was perfect for the movie...Very well done all around...

Last edited by Goonies85; 04-22-18 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-22-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Spoiler:
Yeah. I watched it with the default theatrical ending, which in the moment I didn't mind and even found somewhat...amusing. The cosmic joke aspect made me involuntarily laugh out loud. Thematically I thought it fit, in terms of yet another absurd twist of fate which is something the entire story was predicated on. It doesn't make a lot of logistical sense when you reflect on it, but there is some satisfaction in an unambiguous ending.
Within minutes of reflection though, it started to smack of being a cheap, easy punchline.

I watched the original end afterwards. I could see where the ambiguity would be frustrating for some people (hence the somewhat dumbed down, definitive ending that anyone could "get"). At the same time though, that unresolved nature was more adult, and lent the film's previous events a lot more nobility.
A very slow fadeout would have helped that ending quite a bit, had they actually went with it.

Next time I watch it, it will be with the original end.

For me the film is as fascinating to mull over from a storytelling perspective as it is for it's inherent themes.
Old 04-22-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Spoiler:
Yeah. I watched it with the default theatrical ending, which in the moment I didn't mind and even found somewhat...amusing. The cosmic joke aspect made me involuntarily laugh out loud. Thematically I thought it fit, in terms of yet another absurd twist of fate which is something the entire story was predicated on. It doesn't make a lot of logistical sense when you reflect on it, but there is some satisfaction in an unambiguous ending.
Within minutes of reflection though, it started to smack of being a cheap, easy punchline.

I watched the original end afterwards. I could see where the ambiguity would be frustrating for some people (hence the somewhat dumbed down, definitive ending that anyone could "get"). At the same time though, that unresolved nature was more adult, and lent the film's previous events a lot more nobility.
A very slow fadeout would have helped that ending quite a bit, had they actually went with it.

Next time I watch it, it will be with the original end.

For me the film is as fascinating to mull over from a storytelling perspective as it is for it's inherent themes.
Completely agree with your assessment. And Lee Marvin was also amazing in Boorman's Point Blank...He always seemed to bring out the best in Marvin...And never had him deal with long speeches, as he knew Marvin's best acting was usually done in complete silence...
Old 04-22-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but something you will forget after a couple of days.
Old 04-22-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phantom Thread. I've LOVED every movie Paul Thomas Anderson has ever done, but this one left me cold. Just didn't care for the storyline...I didn't feel anything really propelled the movie forward...The direction was fine...The acting was fine...But I prefer every other one of his movies over this one...And it's weird saying this but I'm a little surprised by the acclaim Daniel Day-Lewis got for his performance (don't get me wrong, it was good, but for his final performance I had kind of hoped he would've had a bit more of a showy role; I know a lot of what he did was subtle, and sometimes that is appreciated in acting, but this time he just didn't really draw me into the role)...I hope PTA bounces back with his next movie...Just frustrating that that means a probable two or more likely three year wait...

Felt almost like a modern day Bergman movie...Only not as emotionally compelling as most Bergman movies...

Last edited by Goonies85; 04-22-18 at 07:40 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-22-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Electra Glide on Blue. Was surprisingly good. Robert Blake was good, and the ending was very unexpected. A very, very '70s movie...

The Third Man. A tad underwhelming, but still a very good movie. Loved Orson Welles in this...And the score was pitch perfect...Was a touch slow through the opening 45 minutes or so, but really kicked into high gear in the final hour...Good movie...
Old 04-23-18, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3:10 To Yuma. Watched the original version on the Criterion Blu-Ray tonight. Fantastic movie. I've always liked Van Heflin (especially in the film noir movies he was in), but Glenn Ford was a revelation. Lots of little differences between this one and the remake, but both are great. I loved this movie. One of the best Westerns I've ever seen.
Old 04-23-18, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ride the Pink Horse. Watched the Criterion Blu-Ray. Good enough film noir, which hadn't had that much acclaim until it was released by Criterion. It was a good movie, but not the best film noir of 1947...Montgomery was good but the main actress really stole the show...She was terrific...A little long, but I enjoyed it enough...
Old 04-23-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was pretty good though it started out slow.
Old 04-26-18, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Cold Blood. Justly acclaimed. I thought the movie was fantastic, and the Criterion transfer was amazing. I was a bit worried that the running length was a bit long, but I don't know what you could've cut...All of the acting is superb, and the way Richard Brooks structured the movie was top notch...

Deep Blue Sea 2. Big fan of the original. I thought the original was corny as hell but overall it was a great B-movie. This one? This one sucks. One of the worst sequels I've ever sat through. Literally nothing is good about it...Very disappointed, and would advise everyone to avoid purchasing...Maybe if it's on TV, check it out, but don't waste your hard-earned dollars on this...
Old 04-26-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Batman Ninja. The animation is phenomenal but the story is wacky as all hell. Fan service is present, but then they really flip it into anime geekdom. I watched the English dubbed version, so we'll see how cool the Japanese language version is at some point.
Old 04-26-18, 08:54 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Prison this evening...

Old 04-27-18, 08:29 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Super 8 this evening. First time viewing, not bad at all...

Old 04-28-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It started ok and had some funny moments and then it became serious and boring.
Old 04-28-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. I love this series, and have binged it several times...The episodes just seem to fly by...Looking forward to the other instalments, including the Versace one that just aired, and the Hurricane Katrina season...

OJ: Made in America. After watching the fictional/dramatized version, I decided to watch this...A great documentary series...I was enthralled by this show...
Old 04-29-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should have had more Jeff Goldblum scenes

Watched the Blu-ray and not the 4K disc.
Old 04-30-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-01-18, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pale Rider. Was surprisingly impressed by this Eastwood Western. I liked it a lot more than The Outlaw Josey Wales...I thought the cinematography and scenery were great, and the cast was excellent, especially Eastwood and Michael Moriarty...A really strong movie...One of my favorite Eastwoods...

Black Caesar. I had really high hopes for this one, seeing as I love Fred Williamson and usually appreciate a good Larry Cohen movie, but felt it was just okay. Seemed like it was a little too ambitious given its budget...I still enjoyed it, and I loved them filming old-school New York, but ultimately it wasn't top tier Cohen...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.