Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 05-29-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 645 Likes on 496 Posts

Big Hero 6 3D

What a fun flick this was. Well worth the wait. And the animated short, Feast, was simply delightful.
Old 05-29-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 05-29-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very dark but very funny, plus some naked Jordana Brewster
Old 05-30-15, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Midnight Cowboy
4.5/5
Old 05-30-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Still Alice. Pretty powerful stuff.
Old 05-30-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 739 Likes on 602 Posts

Cymbeline.

Good cast (except Dakota Johnson) but the movie sucked.

Netflix skipped Hot Tub Time Machine 2, Boy Next Door, and the Cobbler for this movie with people talking Shakespeare which I don't understand.

Dam you Netflix!

Out of the Furnace. I liked it even better the 2nd time. I bet most people were misled and thought it was a action thriller.

Old 05-30-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 231 Likes on 168 Posts

Old 05-31-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Batman Unlimited. It's an atypical line-up of heroes for one of these animated films. Batman, Green Arrow, Flash, and Nightwing take on a slew of Batman villains and Cheetah for some reason. Interestingly enough, while he's never called Wally West, this Flash acted and was treated like Wally.
Old 05-31-15, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Inherent Vice

Old 05-31-15, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Was expecting something more like Goodbye Mr Chips or The Paper Chase, and instead the film that it reminded me the most of was Burt Lancaster's The Swimmer!?!
And for as showy as Maggie Smith is as the title character, Pam Franklin was the one that truly impressed me. Convincingly aging from 12 to 17, the film ultimately seemed more a coming of age story from her character's POV.
While I did enjoy it, my overall response was fairly subdued. However there is some thematic material that hit really close to home and I think this will end up being something I appreciate much more a second time around.
For that reason I don't regret the blind buy at all- even at TT's higher price point.

Ep 2: The Murder Market from

WOW! Even better than the US Lionsgate release for season 5 (which I still think is a great bargain despite it's issues). No PAL pitch issue with this set, and a ton of substantive bonus material. A/V quality seems to be even higher than the S5 set, with the lighter load of eps per disc no doubt affecting bit rates/bandwidth for the better. Even at over three times the cost of the Lionsgate set, I don't regret this purchase one bit. One of the all time great fantasy/adventure/mystery shows finally presented in impeccable fashion. It was an unbelievably long wait to get this material in any kind of decent a/v quality on home vid, but one that now seems so worth it.
As far as the ep itself went- interesting early Peel episode in that the tone and style still isn't quite gelled into what it would be when this team hits their stride later on. At one point Rigg dons what looks more like a Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) outfit and that seemed a metaphor for the transitional tonal nature of the episode itself. Avengers is always watchable, but this isn't an ep I'll be eager to revisit. There are absolutely much better ones to come.
Old 05-31-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting story but I was expecting more. Felt it was long and repetitive. Could have been a little tighter. Nice to see Reese in a role like this.
Old 05-31-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Ep 2: The Murder Market from

WOW! Even better than the US Lionsgate release for season 5 (which I still think is a great bargain despite it's issues). No PAL pitch issue with this set, and a ton of substantive bonus material. A/V quality seems to be even higher than the S5 set, with the lighter load of eps per disc no doubt affecting bit rates/bandwidth for the better. Even at over three times the cost of the Lionsgate set, I don't regret this purchase one bit. One of the all time great fantasy/adventure/mystery shows finally presented in impeccable fashion. It was an unbelievably long wait to get this material in any kind of decent a/v quality on home vid, but one that now seems so worth it.
As far as the ep itself went- interesting early Peel episode in that the tone and style still isn't quite gelled into what it would be when this team hits their stride later on. At one point Rigg dons what looks more like a Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) outfit and that seemed a metaphor for the transitional tonal nature of the episode itself. Avengers is always watchable, but this isn't an ep I'll be eager to revisit. There are absolutely much better ones to come.
Is this locked to Region B?
Old 05-31-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Superman III
The evil Superman vs good Superman scene is IMO the best scene in the entire series
Old 05-31-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Is this locked to Region B?
Unfortunately, yes.
Lionsgate claims they only have rights to season 5 in R:A, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't snag S4 if they wanted to.

BTW- for anyone interested in reading more about this set, Tim Lucas has a more detailed review on his blog here.
Old 05-31-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Superman III
The evil Superman vs good Superman scene is IMO the best scene in the entire series
But the movie as a whole was probably the worst of all the Superman movies and though I like Richard Pryor it had too much comedy.
Old 05-31-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bacon
Superman III
It's one of my favorite all-time movie moments. I am shocked a similar scene hasn't been worked into one of the newer Superman films. I still love Superman III despite the goofy comedy. Moving away from Lois Lane was an interesting angle to explore in the movies.
Old 06-01-15, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I still love Superman III
I have literally never heard anyone say that prior to you .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-01-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 12:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Alien3 - Watching both cuts of this underrated gem.
Old 06-01-15, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tried many times in the past to get into this and have always failed. My recent, very positive experience with Kiss Me Kate put me more in a mood to stick with it this time and I honestly found myself enjoying it. Would have appreciated it just a little bit more if they'd had the balls to go with a downbeat ending. If they'd had, I think I could better wrap my head around the film winning Best Picture. Still, it's got a great songbook, appealing leads, a beautiful backdrop and a unique structural form (the film ends with a 17 minute 'fantasy' ballet which means the last twenty minutes or so of the film are completely dialogue free). Happy to finally have been able to appreciate it- though as a "go to" musical I would easily put at least a half dozen other films of the era ahead of it.

Love at First Bite

My favorite spoof next to Young Frankenstein and of the two probably the one I enjoy re-visiting the most. As a long time fan of the film I'm thrilled with the Shout disc. Not only is the A/V quality great but they finally rectified something that been a thorn in fans sides for the longest time- getting back the original music cue in the disco scene. So satisfying to finally have a more or less definitive copy of this in my collection.
Old 06-01-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Alien3 - Watching both cuts of this underrated gem.

I remember in the Alien Anthology set they had a bonus feature with Fincher and how he clashed with the studio and did not make the movie he wanted to make.

Into the Woods

This might have been the most mediocre weekend of renting movies in 2015.

Old 06-03-15, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

was only planning to pop it in for a few minutes to check the transfer, but I couldn't take my eyes off it.
Damn near perfect, albeit bare bones, disc. But that's fine with me. I love this film and couldn't be more thrilled with how well it turned out. Also amazed that with less than three dozen archive Bds released overall, this title is one of them. Thought I would be waiting plenty more years for it.
Old 06-03-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 06-05-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 06-05-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
A very overlooked Roman Polanski film. One of the darkest period pieces I've seen, which makes it a very interesting film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.