Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 09-07-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Braveheart one of the most stunning in PQ I own
Old 09-07-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Started Sword of the Stranger and got bored with it. Took it off. I just couldn't finish it, unfortunately.
Too bad.

The first half is slow, but the second half kicks ass, with some of the best choreographed hand-drawn fighting animations I've ever seen, which truly shines on blu-ray.
Old 09-07-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another review, another bad film... I watched Space Buddies, which is amazingly enough the 8th sequel to Air Bud. Great for kids, not so much for the older crowd. Good pq and aq, though.
Old 09-07-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Too bad.

The first half is slow, but the second half kicks ass, with some of the best choreographed hand-drawn fighting animations I've ever seen, which truly shines on blu-ray.
Oh well. The first half, in terms of sword fights, reminded me Ninja Scroll which most people seem to love - and I absolutely hated. So I wasn't really that interested in finishing it for that reason alone. I should have probably finished the film but I've been so busy lately with work and trying to sort out so many things in my life (so much is going on for me right now it feels kind of ridiculous, though I suppose life is like that sometimes) that since it didn't grab me I just took it off. I've got a ton of things in my own collection to view, a ridiculous amount, and I'm really starting to regret having such a large collection of DVD's. I want to only have things that I truly love and as it stands right now I own tons of blind buys that I got for very little. I just don't have the time for my own collection anymore... let alone a Netflix rental that I'm not sure will be worth the full time investment after I'm half-way through.
Old 09-07-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coraline - I just absolutely love this movie, also one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years. PQ is stunning, I'm not into the 3-D stuff, I tried watching it in 3D, I just couldn't.
Old 09-07-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Coraline - I just absolutely love this movie, also one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years. PQ is stunning, I'm not into the 3-D stuff, I tried watching it in 3D, I just couldn't.

The 3-D looked like crap to me and I didn't want to bother trying to adjust my calibrated settings for it. The movie itself on Blu-ray though? Absolutely amazing. This is easily one of the best Blu-ray discs in my entire collection for the quality of the film, the PQ, and the AQ (the sound is so enveloping and the score is one of the best of the year too). I was lucky enough to snag a copy from the Hastings online sale for only around $11 shipped, and it already arrived - in Like New condition.

I may have to watch this one again very soon!
Old 09-07-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Coraline is awesome.

Just watched the finale of BSG, so I spoilerized it.
Spoiler:
I just finished watching The final disc of season 4.5 of BSG. So I watched the televised and extended versions of Daybreak. Loved it, love the grittiness but damn, when they show some of the nature clips of earth, they look absolutley stunning. Also, I watched the first season on HD DVD and never thought about the CGI. To say the least, the CGI looks really awesome, it looked pretty damn real to me. Especially scenes of The Colony. Awesome show, everyone needs to see.

Damn GenPion, I never noticed that we have damn near the same set-up. Same TV, PS3, 360, and I am actually getting the same Denon from a friend in just weeks...that's nuts. Is your TV calibrated?
Old 09-07-09, 06:35 PM

Received 799 Likes on 522 Posts

Watched the first 8 eps of BSG: Season 2 in the last few days.

"Final Cut" (s2e8) was a drag... but Lucy Lawless more than made up for it.

... and
Spoiler:
... finding out she was a Cylon was pretty wicked. Now I know who six of the twelve are.
Old 09-07-09, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let the Right One In
The Boondock saints
Old 09-07-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Baron Munchausen. Looks and sounds its age. Fun movie, though.
Old 09-07-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Moopher
Damn GenPion, I never noticed that we have damn near the same set-up. Same TV, PS3, 360, and I am actually getting the same Denon from a friend in just weeks...that's nuts. Is your TV calibrated?
That's awesome! We both have great set-up's then. You'll love the Denon receiver once you set it up. It's incredible how great it is IMHO. As for my TV, it is calibrated. I found settings suggested by a member of AVS Forums that seemed very reliable - I had attempted a few and found that his seemed to present the most accurate representation of the films - and then I made a few personal tweaks of my own that were relatively minor and seemed to improve it even more (when I first got the set out of the box the PQ was disappointing to me, but once I calibrated it and broke it in the set was unbelievable and it still is.)
Old 09-08-09, 03:12 AM

Final Destination 2. PQ was good, better than the first. I almost forgot how smokin' A.J. Cook was. and now I miss Tru Calling.
Old 09-08-09, 12:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For All Mankind - even though the film used varying film stock, the most amazing scenes are the space walk and the travelling lunar rover shots, the inky blacks of outer space and the foreground objects give a tactile dimensional feel to those scenes.
Old 09-08-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just watched (most of) Terrence Malick's The New World: Extended Cut, and it looks pretty fantastic - the perfect type of film for a nice big 1080p presentation.
Old 09-08-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Big Trouble In Little China
Old 09-09-09, 01:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

although i haven't been too into the HD market, the last one i watched was Fearless on HD DVD
Old 09-09-09, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I just watched In the Realm of the Senses and Black Narcissus and what struck me about the both of them was that the costumes highly benefitted from the higher resolution - the textures and designs looked stunning.
Old 09-09-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Green Lantern: First Flight Flawless PQ for a 2-D Cartoon. Didn't enjoy the movie as much as Wonder Woman which is still by far my favorite of the Marvel or DC DTV movies. Mostly this was just fun to see the Corps in action & Sinestro.
Old 09-09-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got my first blu-ray player in the mail today

watched TANGO AND CASH, WALL-E and OPIUM AND THE KUNG-FU MASTER

all 3 looked and sounded great.
Old 09-09-09, 08:02 PM

^ congrats. I keep meaning to watch Opium, I think I'm going to have to give it a try this weekend.
Old 09-09-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Just finished watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Nowhere near as bad as advertised but hardly a classic. I loved the bulk of the cast and the direction by Hood. I didn't like the shoddy CGI and the wonky script. It's as if they had a lot of good ideas but kept second guessing themselves.

Honestly, the whole movie should have focused on the events of the first 18 minutes. The business with
Spoiler:
Creed killing off the whole gang and Jimmy/Logan getting his adamantium
should have been the last 30 minutes. We barely got to know the team so it was hard to like or hate any of them.

I may pick it up down the line since I rather liked it but I didn't love it so it's not a priority.

The movie is grainy as hell but the PQ is top notch and I didn't spot any compression artefacts resulting from all that grain. The audio was good but I can't say it wowed me. There's nothing wrong with the mix but I was expecting more from a such an action-centric movie.

Spoiler:
I was surprised that one of the deleted scenes actually features Logan volunteering for and going through with (at least partway) the mindwipe that undid all his memories. They should have kept that since it was in-continuity with Stryker's comments in X2.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the DTS track is as low as a DD track. Make sure to boost your master volume by 4dB when you watch this movie.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-09-09 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 09:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

For All Mankind blu-ray. Very informative and moving documentary.

Amazing that ~40 years ago we made it to the moon and The Beatles changed music, and neither one has been topped since.
Old 09-10-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tokyo!- solid movie, solid disc.
Old 09-10-09, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
For All Mankind - even though the film used varying film stock, the most amazing scenes are the space walk and the travelling lunar rover shots, the inky blacks of outer space and the foreground objects give a tactile dimensional feel to those scenes.
One of my favorite blu-ray that I own.

Just finished up disc one of Firefly myself. This is the first I've ever seen of it. Pretty good stuff so far
Old 09-10-09, 02:44 AM

Final Destination 3. PQ was OK. Not as good as Part 2 but better than part 1. I think I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.