Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 07-31-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Man, Pride and Vengeance. Awfully slow Spaghetti Western from 1967, starring the great Franco Nero and the great Klaus Kinski. The first 45 minutes are insanely slow, as it mostly plays like a romance movie. It kind of picks up the pace afterwards, but overall I'd have to say this is not one of the better Westerns I've ever seen. Can't really recommend this one, even though I'll admit the soundtrack was pretty good...

Venom. Weak horror/suspense movie, involving a Black Mamba. As much as I like Kinski, Sterling Hayden, and Oliver Reed, this movie does not hold up well. Should've been a lot more suspenseful, given its plot...I am, however, interested to listen to the commentary, as I've heard nothing but great things about it, since apparently the director talks a lot about the issues he had with Kinski and Oliver Reed...Particularly their drinking throughout the shoot and how competitive they were...Apparently he doesn't hold back, so I might listen to that later on this week...
Old 08-01-18, 08:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched the first episode of Helix (S1) titled simply Pilot. Damned thing's got me hooked already...
Old 08-02-18, 02:14 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched 3 episodes of Helix while we ate dinner: Vector, 274, and Single Strand.
Old 08-02-18, 08:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Helix (S1): The White Room.
Old 08-03-18, 12:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched 2 episodes of Helix while we ate dinner: Aniqatiga and Survivor Zero.
Old 08-03-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nosferatu, the Vampyre. Not a big fan of vampire movies, in general, and this was no different. While I think Herzog did a decent job directing this one, it never really clicked with me. I did like seeing Bruno Ganz act opposite of Kinski, but I doubt I'll watch this again anytime soon...The only vampire movie I really love is Dreyer's version of this...

Fitzcarraldo. My second time watching this. The Blu-Ray looks and sounds great, but this is another Herzog movie that never truly grabs me. I also don't care for how long it is...Kinski is great, but I'll take Aguirre, the Wrath of God over this any day...As opposed to sitting through this, I'd rather tell people to just watch Les Blank's awesome documentary, Burden of Dreams...You still get the gist of the story, but you also get a lot of amazing behind-the-scenes footage...The making-of this movie is a lot better and more compelling than the movie itself...
Old 08-03-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prisoners. Re-watched this last night. Great movie, and Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman deliver great performances, as do Terrence Howard and Maria Bello. Paul Dano is also insanely creepy. Great adult movie.

Animal Kingdom. Also rewatched this one as I had a friend that had never seen it. One of my favorite movies of the 2000s...All of the actors are perfect in their roles (especially Ben Mendholson), and the ending gets me everytime. I'm always going to be interested in what David Michod does, even though, while very, very good, I thought his follow-up, The Rover could've been much better. I can picture big-name actors seeking him out to direct them in their next feature...

The Proposition. Seeing as the previous movie was also Australian, I decided to show my buddy this. She loved it, even though the shocking violence kind of bothered her. This is just a great movie, with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone at the top of their games...Danny Huston was also awesome in this. The Blu-Ray looks terrific, and the score by Warren Ellis and Nick Cave is incredible...Highly recommended...
Old 08-04-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woyzeck. Great Herzog/Kinski movie. This is the last one of theirs I had to watch (excluding the documentary My Best Fiend). Was enormously impressed by this. Kinski acted much more low-key in this movie than the other collaborations he had with Herzog...I'd still say, of the movies they made together, Aguirre, the Wrath of God is my favorite, followed closely by Cobra Verde, but this one would be third...Would highly recommend...

Last edited by Goonies85; 08-06-18 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-18, 08:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched 2 episodes of Helix (S1): Fushigi and Black Rain.
Old 08-05-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 08-05-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crimes of the Future. Watched this old Cronenberg movie (it's included as an extra on the Criterion edition of The Brood). Truly bizarre movie...Doesn't really make a lot of sense...Obviously it was experimental, as Cronenberg was still learning his craft, but I really didn't see much to like in this one...I'm glad I finally watched it, but this is another movie that I'm probably not going to rewatch any time soon...

Home Alone. A classic, and I think the Blu-Ray looks pretty good. Was nice seeing John Heard on the screen, and Catherine O'Hara was just fantastic. One of my favorite movies growing up...

Our Idiot Brother. A decent comedy starring Paul Rudd (even though it does venture into drama from time to time)...Not the greatest of movies, but it has it's moments...I especially like Rashida Jones in this...And despite the recent rumours surrounding TJ Miller, he's really funny in this...
Old 08-05-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to like this but it was slow and little dialogue

Maybe a rewatch someday.

It was ok. Malin Akerman falling into the mouth of George was silly
Old 08-05-18, 08:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Helix (S1): The Reaping.
Old 08-06-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Best Fiend. Very good Herzog documentary on his friend/enemy Klaus Kinski. Lots of great insight into Kinski and his behaviour, and it was nice seeing some for the behind-the-scenes footage (some of which was already available in Burden of Dreams). Claudia Cardinale also shows up with some nice stories to say about Kinski...The only real drawback is that the documentary probably uses a solid half-hour of clips, and some of them are pretty lengthy, so the actual new footage/interviews is really only about an hour...That said, if you haven't seen some of those movies in a while, you probably won't mind...

American Gigolo. Finally got around to watching one of the few Schrader movies that I hadn't sat through...This was pretty solid, but not as good as I had expected. I loved the score by Giorgio Moroder, featuring a ton of Blondie...I just thought the ending was a bit too explicit in the way it was paying homage to Bresson's Pickpocket...I was surprised at how good Richard Gere was, though...And Lauren Hutton was also really great...The Blu-Ray sounded great, but the image quality was only so-so...Could use an upgrade down the road...

Breathless. The Richard Gere version from 1983. Wow, I really enjoyed this one. Very stylized. And I loved all of the Silver Surfer references. I'm actually kind of surprised that they had to say that this was a "remake" of Godard's "Breathless." This one just seemed very different, and I felt the storyline and dialogue was different enough that a lot of people would've just figured this was a brand new original movie. Maybe it would be better to say that this movie was "Inspired by Godard's Breathless". The lead actress was also good. And the ending is very memorable...

The Incredible Hulk. Had put off watching this for a long time, as I'm not a fan of the director, and I never heard many good things about this. How was it? Not that great. The beginning 45-minutes or so were better than I had anticipated, and Norton is serviceable in the role (although he doesn't hold a candle to Ruffalo's interpretation), and Tim Roth is pretty good. It just loses steam when it turns into a giant CGI-fest. I almost completely lost interest by the end of the movie...The sound of the Blu-Ray was pretty amazing...Had to constantly turn it down cause I was afraid I was going to wake the roommate...

Boiling Point. Another bizarre movie from Takeshi Kitano. While I generally love most of this movies, I'm not a giant fan of this one. It's still good, and it still has those weird little moments/scenes that you would expect from a Kitano movie, but I wouldn't put this on the same level as stuff like Sonatine, Hana-Bi, or Violent Cop...The quality of the Blu-Ray is great though, with top-notch video and sound, and it comes with a pretty good booklet with an insightful essay...

Last edited by Goonies85; 08-06-18 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 08-06-18, 02:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the last episode of Helix (S1): Dans L'ombre. Don't have S2, by most accounts I should just quit while I'm ahead. Not a bad series, at least based on the events in S1, although the end was a little odd.
Old 08-06-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taken. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. Liam Neeson was great. I've been avoiding his "angry man" movies, but now I kind of, sort of have a desire to watch the two sequels, and some of those other movies he did, like The Commuter and whatever that one on the airplane was called. Just kind of nice, check your brain at the door type movies, and it's refreshing to watch those after watching all of those Herzog movies. While you could still see certain things coming a mile away, there was the odd pleasantly surprising plot twist. Didn't really like Famke Jannsen (but I think that was largely based on how her character was written), but I thought Xander Berkeley was excellent in his small role...Solid movie...And the Blu-Ray sounded great...
Old 08-06-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can skip the Commuter, Non-Stop, and maybe Taken 2 and 3 since they are all the same movie.

What a bore
Old 08-06-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
You can skip the Commuter, Non-Stop, and maybe Taken 2 and 3 since they are all the same movie.
Will wait and might check them if they're on TV for free then...I've got lots of other movies stacked up that I need to watch...
Old 08-06-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
Taken. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. Liam Neeson was great. I've been avoiding his "angry man" movies, but now I kind of, sort of have a desire to watch the two sequels, and some of those other movies he did, like The Commuter and whatever that one on the airplane was called. Just kind of nice, check your brain at the door type movies, and it's refreshing to watch those after watching all of those Herzog movies. While you could still see certain things coming a mile away, there was the odd pleasantly surprising plot twist. Didn't really like Famke Jannsen (but I think that was largely based on how her character was written), but I thought Xander Berkeley was excellent in his small role...Solid movie...And the Blu-Ray sounded great...
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post

What a bore
I liked Taken 2, but by the time they get to Taken 3, I mean come on, how much can happen to one family? (ala Die Hard)

Non-Stop wasn't bad, but the Commuter was the same thing on a train. Like Statham and a slew of actors before him, basically the same character in a different locale. If you liked the first ones they are decent rentals.
Old 08-06-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I liked Taken 2, but by the time they get to Taken 3, I mean come on, how much can happen to one family? (ala Die Hard)

Non-Stop wasn't bad, but the Commuter was the same thing on a train. Like Statham and a slew of actors before him, basically the same character in a different locale. If you liked the first ones they are decent rentals.
I totally get your point about the "Taken" movies, as that's the main reason I avoided them for years. Kind of reminds me of friends that would watch EVERY SINGLE season of the TV show "24"...After the second season, I was just like, "How many times can this ONE GUY get involved in some complicated plot where he basically saves the country...And everytime he has 24 hours????" That totally turned me off of that show, and I never sat through an entire season...

That said, if those Neeson movies show up On-Demand for free, I might check them out while nursing a few beers...
Old 08-06-18, 09:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched Life this evening. Interesting premise.
Old 08-06-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wanted. Okay movie starring McAvoy and Jolie...Not nearly as good as the comic book. It was okay, but it became hard to care for the protagonist when it became crystal clear nothing could really, really hurt him. Some great cinematography and interesting shots, but overall it could've been so much more. The best Mark Millar adaptation still remains Kick-Ass, followed somewhat closely by the first Kingsman movie...And Angelina was pretty good in this...
Old 08-07-18, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kiki's Delivery Service
I loved the animation and the "simple" but heartfelt story of a 13 year witch in a new town. Highly recommended!
Old 08-08-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Descent. Rewatched this one for probably the tenth time. I love this movie. All of the actresses are amazing in this, and it still makes me jump from time to time. Easily Neil Marshall's best movie. And the Blu-Ray looks and sounds phenomenal...A great horror movie...
Old 08-08-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins. From the Les Blank Criterion Blu-Ray release. Pretty decent movie at about a half-hour. If you're a fan of the Blues, you'll enjoy this movie...I thought it was pretty good...The picture on the Blu-Ray was also terrific, given the movie's age (it's from 1968)...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.