Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

So only 3 people watch Blu-rays in this forum?

A forgettable thriller. Jon Hamm has to find better projects or he will be just known as Don Draper.

It was better than Snatched and had a nice message. Michelle Williams stole the show. I liked her voice

It felt like a new movie towards the end and I forgot about how he reunited with Helen Hunt at her house.
Old 07-22-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No I believe it's more like 5
Old 07-22-18, 08:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Grimm (S6): Blood Magic.
Old 07-22-18, 08:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Originally Posted by JimRochester
No I believe it's more like 5

Apparently we're the only ones who feel like posting in here.
Old 07-23-18, 01:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Grimm (S6) while we ate dinner: Where the Wild Things Were and Zerstörer Shrugged.
Old 07-24-18, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Okay...watched a bunch in the past few days...

Zodiac. Remains my favorite Fincher film. Love this movie. Love the ambiguity, and I'm familiar with the actual story. All of the acting is great, and the Director's Cut is perfect...

The Social Network. While this one still grows on me, it's still my fourth or fifth favorite Fincher movie (the ones above it are the before-mentioned movie, Seven, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Fight Club, but the dialogue in this movie just kills...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Finally got around to watching my Criterion Blu-Ray (after two or three other attempts). I still don't get it. People call this the greatest British movie of all-time and I just don't see it...It was very dull, in my mind...I expected this to be amazing but I was just bored stiff...

Only Angels Have Wings. Popped in the Howard Hawks Blu-Ray and wasn't disappointed. This is a great movie, and many of the special effects still hold up today...Very happy with this...And Cary Grant was awesome, as usual...

The Lawnmower Man. Watched the Director's Cut, which is like a half-hour longer than the theatrical. Was pleasantly surprised with the first half-hour or so, but then it just got worse and worse. The movie (and effects) have not aged well, but it's really the storyline that takes this one down a notch...Wasn't that impressed, even though Pierce Brosnan was great, as usual...

Phoenix. Also watched this Criterion...Very disappointing. Every time you thought the plot was going to amount to something, it didn't. Would NOT recommend.

That's all...

Thanks...

Last edited by Goonies85; 07-24-18 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-18, 01:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the last episode of Grimm: The End, followed it with the special features: Wu's Views, the Gag Reel, and A Grimm Farewell. Excellent series, it's easily one of my wife's and my favorites.
Old 07-24-18, 09:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched the 1st 2 episodes of Stranger Things (S1): The Vanishing of Will Byers and The Weirdo on Maple Street.

So far we're liking this series but not being able to skip over the previews and BS at the beginning of the disc absolutely sucks.
Old 07-25-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

^ yup. Was looking forward to finally checking that show out, but the authoring of the disc put such a foul taste in my mouth, I'll have to wait for that to subside before I get up the enthusiasm again to actually watch it.

catching up over the last few days...

Oft told tale about salt of the earth folks and their indomitable spirit in the face of adversity.

Was expecting a little more demonstrable, regional flavor of Deep South. This could have been southern Iowa or Missouri for all it mattered.
What it lacked in novelty it made up for in craft by Renoir. Also an inspiringly sturdy central performance by Zach Scott.

Fine movie, although Beulah Bondi's excessively sour granny was grating.

Entertaining enough, but seemed like it should have been more impressive given the elements involved.
One of the few films that I feel confident I can cite weak direction for it's ultimate lack of real oomph.

Raquel Welch continues to surprise me as far as providing solid support and not just facile ornamentation.

Next to Atonement, my favorite film of the 2000's. Next to this, every other film made about teens seems phony and contrived.

Did something I don't normally do afterwards and went through some of the special features.
I was surprised to see just how mature, poised, and articulate Birch was. It's a shame about her family situation (not covered in the doc, but the info is online for anyone curious).

The original Theatrical cut from

Hadn't realized this before, but this film is made up of almost a constant use of CU and extreme CUs.
I think that aspect may have contributed to why it made such an impression on me watching it on much smaller TV screens in the past.
Watching it projected large is almost overwhelming.

Still a great movie, but I wish Welles' Quinlan was less overtly theatrical. A less affected, naturalistic performance would wear better over the course of the run time, imo.
Old 07-25-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or maybe everybody posts in the "Last Movie Watched" thread.

It was ok. Second Rosamund Pike movie in a 3 day span.

Third straight Universal Studios rental and maybe they and Lionsgate put out the most movie output since Warner Bros and the other studios reduced their film production and just concentrate on major comic book or tentpole movies.
Old 07-26-18, 01:41 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

watched 2 episodes of Stranger Things (S1) while we ate dinner: The Body and The Flea and The Acrobat.
Old 07-27-18, 08:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Stranger Things (S1): The Monster.
Old 07-28-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am old and not a gamer so maybe this was not for me.

It would never end. I was slightly amused by the Shining elements but I was bored as fuck watching this.
Old 07-28-18, 08:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Stranger Things (S1): The Bathtub.
Old 07-29-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Maria VonTrapp were singing about my favorite things, Natalie Portman and M16's would be on the list. So when I saw a movie with Natalie Portman shooting a giant mutant alligator with an M16 being a total bad-ass, I just about creamed my jeans.

Actually not a bad movie. Slow moving at times. The theme reminded me a bit of the movie Evolution. About an area where amazing evolution is taking place. The difference being that was a comedy where Annihilation was a sci-fi horror type movie.

An enjoyable one time viewing but nothing I need to own.
Old 07-29-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next to Atonement, my favorite film of the 2000's. Next to this, every other film made about teens seems phony and contrived.

Did something I don't normally do afterwards and went through some of the special features.
I was surprised to see just how mature, poised, and articulate Birch was. It's a shame about her family situation (not covered in the doc, but the info is online for anyone curious).

The original Theatrical cut from

Hadn't realized this before, but this film is made up of almost a constant use of CU and extreme CUs.
I think that aspect may have contributed to why it made such an impression on me watching it on much smaller TV screens in the past.
Watching it projected large is almost overwhelming.

Still a great movie, but I wish Welles' Quinlan was less overtly theatrical. A less affected, naturalistic performance would wear better over the course of the run time, imo.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Ghost World. One of my favorite movies, and also has an early performance from Scarlett Johannson. Also feel that, along with Fargo, this is Steve Buscemi's greatest performance (even though that's a high bar, as he's pretty memorable in everything he does). Also find the song that opens the movie super addictive, and have it downloaded from the iTunes store...

Also have to say that I agree with your comments regarding Orson Welles' performance in Touch of Evil. While I think very highly of the movie (except for the hotel scene with the Mexicans...that was a little too much for me), I agree that Welles really over-acted in that role. It's still memorable, but I think it would've been better had he been a bit more subdued...It was almost like he was acting for the stage in that part, as opposed to the cinema...
Old 07-29-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snatched. I had heard bad things about this so put off watching it until it was on the movie channels for free. I thought this was actually pretty decent. I loved seeing Goldie Hawn acting again, and it definitely had a kind of Romancing the Stone-vibe (not nearly as good, I should add). And I thought Christopher Meloni was hilarious in his part, and Joan Cusack also had me chuckle a couple of times...If this ever showed up in a bargain bin for like $5.00, I'd probably pick it up...

Justice League. Finally got around to watching this. Like most of said, not very good, but a couple of things surprised me. I liked Wonder Woman's introduction, and thought Gal Gadot was pretty good in that role. I was also surprised that I kind of enjoyed Aquaman...Jason Momoa handled the role (and it was written) in a way that I didn't expect. He had some funny moments, and I'm kind of interested to see what James Wan does with the Aquaman movie. The Flash on the other hand? I generally like Ezra Miller (Afterschool and The Perks of Being a Wallflower are particular standouts), and he definitely has his moments, but some of the humour was a little too much, especially when the DC Universe goes out of its way to make its movies as bleak as possible. Just didn't seem to fit in the movie...

The House. Rewatched this with some buddies for like the third time. This movie gets a lot of grief, but I really enjoy it, even if it just means throwing it on in the background while I'm doing dishes or Swiffering the floor...It's an easy movie to watch and has enough comedic moments in it...

Lessons of Darkness. An okay Herzog documentary, which is fairly brief, running slightly less than an hour. Really just a bunch of visuals showing brave firefighters trying to put out the oil wells that were set on fire during the invasion of Kuwait. With any movie like this, it's hard to not compare it to Koyannisquatsi (I'm sure I misspelt that), which doesn't help. There's a lot of people that probably wouldn't have the patience to sit through this, but if you manage to do so, you'll see some pretty amazing footage, especially towards the end of the movie. I'm hoping to follow this up and watch Little Dieter Needs to Fly later on today...

Last edited by Goonies85; 07-29-18 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added movie/spelling
Old 07-29-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Little Dieter Needs to Fly. I had seen Rescue Dawn, and I loved it, but I had never actually sat down and watched the actual documentary it was based on cause I couldn't see how it could be more harrowing than the fictionalized account. I was wrong. This is a great documentary; one of Herzog's best. Dieter was quite the character. I loved how much optimism he displayed despite all of the hardships he went through in his life. Overall, the movie gives a great positive message, and I'm grateful to Herzog for documenting Dieter's life before his unfortunate passing in 2001.

Ballad of the Little Soldier. A relatively short, 45 minute documentary by Herzog about child soldiers in Nicaragua and Honduras in the '80s. Very disturbing at times, with many of the child soldiers smiling while they are being trained in all sorts of military tactics (they very well could've been "acting" for the camera because they were being filmed). Really troubling movie, but Herzog and his collaborator ask a lot of insightful questions, and get a lot of really interesting and oftentimes heart-breaking answers from those they are interviewing. I'd recommend giving this one at least one viewing...

Last edited by Goonies85; 07-29-18 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where the Green Ants Dream. Not one of my favorite Herzog movies, but it's worth watching at least once. Some pretty decent footage, and the movie can be pretty funny at times. While I'm glad I finally watched it, it's unlikely I'm going to revisit this anytime soon...

Scanners II: The New Order. Surprisingly, this wasn't THAT horrible. There's definitely a lot of weird plot holes, but it's not a bad way to spend a few hours if you're looking for a early '90s cheesy horror movie. The violence is surprisingly graphic, considering the small budget they had to work with...I'll probably check out the third movie tonight...
Old 07-29-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scanners III: The Takeover. Pretty abysmal, but not all bad. Some of it is so cheesy that parts can be enjoyable. Overall though? Skip it. It's really not worth your time...
Old 07-29-18, 08:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

^ I have the Scream Factory Scanners II & III Double Feature BD, and like you were saying Scanners III isn't great but I'm still glad I own all 3.

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched the last episode of Stranger Things (S1): The Upside Down. I'm pretty impressed with this series (even though there were only 8 episodes), anxious to see S2.
Old 07-29-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
^ I have the Scream Factory Scanners II & III Double Feature BD, and like you were saying Scanners III isn't great but I'm still glad I own all 3.

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched the last episode of Stranger Things (S1): The Upside Down. I'm pretty impressed with this series (even though there were only 8 episodes), anxious to see S2.
Stranger Things Season One was awesome, but I'm waiting to watch Season Two until it comes out on Blu-Ray. Hopefully with a similarly cool package like Season One...I love the faux VHS box that it came out in...
Old 07-30-18, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Ignoble, ruthlessly cynical, and realistically pragmatic WWII mission movie made at the height of the Viet-nam war.

Second film I've watched in as many weeks with Nigel Davenport, who reminds me of a Brit version of an older Clark Gable. Caine may have had top billing, but Davenport was more charismatic lead. I'm going to start seeking out more work from him.

This made for an interesting counterpoint to Ice Cold In Alex, which was also set in the North African theater.

I bought this solely for Blair, who I've had a crush on since I was a kid. Right after I pulled the trigger though I began to regret the purchase as I'm not a big fan of 80's slasher or body count films.

Fortunately this turned out to be surprisingly entertaining, as far as these kinds of movies go.
Old 07-30-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cobra Verde. Will go down as one of my absolute favorite Herzog movies. Just watching this movie, like every ten minutes or so I was like, this movie is awesome. Kinski was gloriously unhinged. In my mind, one of the best movies ever made. I'm surprised this doesn't get ranked higher in Herzog's filmography, especially in terms of the films he did with Kinski...It seems this one is usually people's least favourites of the collaborations that they did, but I'd have to disagree...While Aguirre, the Wrath of God remains my favorite, this is probably second...Even above Fitzcarraldo...Would highly recommend this to anyone...So long as you don't mind subtitles (I still have the odd friend that will basically not watch a movie if it has subtitles)...

Last edited by Goonies85; 07-31-18 at 07:13 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-30-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The two Rachels make out though it would have been hotter if McAdams kept the blonde hair.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.