Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Some really good 3D on this one.
Old 03-04-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

The first movie was not that funny but they made a sequel?
Old 03-04-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-04-18, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Old 03-05-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
The Florida Project...didn't like it. not at all. it was like Larry Clark's KIDS, but much more watered down and PG compared. Just very young kids just doing some mischievous things with little to no parental guidance except for cranky older manager man. Didn't stirke me at all and Dafoe's performances, frankly nothing special. i dunno.

Disagree and this was one of the better movies of 2017 and Dafoe was great. He probably lost the Oscar since it was a far less showy peformance compared to Sam Rockwell.

The girl who played the mom who had no prior acting experience was pretty good.

What did you think of the ending? The ending probably did not work for me.

Old 03-05-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Watched my early 4K copy of Thor: Ragnarok over the weekend.

Just as fun as it was in the theaters - maybe better - caught a ton of stuff I missed.

Tied as my favorite Marvel movie with Winter Soldier.
Old 03-05-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Disagree and this was one of the better movies of 2017 and Dafoe was great.
Old 03-07-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Disagree and this was one of the better movies of 2017 and Dafoe was great. He probably lost the Oscar since it was a far less showy peformance compared to Sam Rockwell.

The girl who played the mom who had no prior acting experience was pretty good.

What did you think of the ending? The ending probably did not work for me.

Watched it yesterday. Loved it, including the ending. I liked it a lot more than his previous film, Tangerine...Dafoe was awesome and I thought the kids were great...Great movie...
Old 03-08-18, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Farewell My Lovely. Robert Mitchum movie from 1975. Bought the Shout Blu-Ray double feature. As much as I love Mitchum, film noir, and Raymond Chandler, I can't say I was a fan of this iteration...Seemed very slow-moving, and I didn't much care for the voiceover, even though that's usually a staple of film noir movies...I'll take Out of the Past or Murder, My Sweet over this one any day...Didn't really care to watch the other part of the double feature, The Big Sleep yet...Maybe in a couple of days I'll check that out...

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. The audiences seem to be pretty split on this one, but I thought it was fantastic. Had a lot more humour than I was expecting...I'd still rate his previous two movies slightly ahead of this, but they've all been good, in my mind...His brother's movies are also great...

Generation Kill. Been meaning to watch this for a while...And wanted to finish it before I started David Simon's latest series, The Deuce. Watched this miniseries over two nights....Really happy with it...At times, I kind of wish there were more episodes, but the last episode was really touching and I couldn't really expect more than what they did...Great series...Happy HBO financed this one...

Trying to finish the newest Twin Peaks series tonight...even though I have to admit I've been a little disappointed in it so far...I'm on Episode 11...
Old 03-10-18, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In keeping with my recent trend of lackluster movies, I rented this last night. Shit. But my wife is completely over super-hero movies, hates r rated action, so I basically end up trying to rent comedies when we'll both be watching. Not often I don't find a movie worth the price of a rental. This was one. 1/5
Old 03-10-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Song to Song. Malick so that could be the reason to watch/not to watch for some. Not the best one he's put out but good feel and the music around SXSW was great.
Old 03-10-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you can get the regular version of this movie on Blu-ray unless you get the box set or a import?
Old 03-11-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thor: Ragnarok. Not as good as I was led to believe...Way better than the second one, but still pales in comparison to the original Thor...The humour was there, but it just didn't draw me in...I did like the prominent role the Hulk played...

Lady Bird. Not sure why this has gotten such widespread acclaim...It's a good movie, for sure, but it doesn't deserve the hype it's been getting...In terms of coming of age movies, I way prefer stuff like Perks of Being a Wallflower or even Adventureland...This was only so-so...

Kill Your Friends. Very enjoyable. Nicholas Hoult continues to impress...Great movie...

Experimenter. Decent movie. Peter Sarsgaard (?) is great. Winona Ryder is good. Not a great movie...but an okay way to spend an hour and a half...

The Deuce. Episode 1. Awesome. David Simon and George Pelencanos made a great first episode...Looking forward to watching the rest of the season...
Old 03-11-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anxious to spin this in 4K. I liked this movie a lot, but I liked all the Thor movies.

Wife has been very sour on comic book movies but I thought this one with the broad humor would be better. She gave it 30 minutes then went up to bed. She's just tired of them.
Old 03-11-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crimson Peak. Horrible gothic movie. Hated it. I like some Del Toro movies, and others I don't. This was one I did not like. Saw the ending a mile away...

Sunchaser. I really hung in there with this Michael Cimino movie, but the last twenty or thirty minutes blew it. The movie sucks. Cimino did great work in the prior hour or hour and a half or so, but then it all went downhill...Too many plot inconsistencies, too many bizarre character decisions...Just awful...And Jon Seda gave a mostly terrible performance...Harrelson was good, though...
Old 03-11-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It should have been a lot better with that cast.
Old 03-11-18, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Thor: Ragnarok (3D)...just pure
f-in fun. I said it in movie review thread, but this was just entertaining. Fun, funny, action. Great character play. Hemsworth has really grown into character. A little stiff in 1st, better in 2nd, hits stride in 3rd. Colorful, badass baddie, just had everything a “superhero” movie should have. I still have first Iron Man as all time fav, then Civil War, then this. I thought Korg was voiced by Sharlito Copley, but alas it was director himself. If more sequels are in this vein, then I’m all in. Great time, again, with this one. Also, 3D is great. Best of all Marvel imo. Depth throughout and some great pop out effects. Best since Avatar, I would say.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-11-18 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great movie

At first I thought it would be one of those movies that was loved by the masses but was overrated.

Maybe this should have won best picture at the 2018 Oscars.

Ronan a great talent that never disappoints and Gerwig did a great job with this. I have a sudden urge to drive to Sacramento lol.
Old 03-13-18, 04:16 AM

This was a re-watch for me as I was looking to re-watch SuperBad, but I then realized that I had never upgraded to BD on that one (bidding on a copy on eBay now) so I threw this one in, indulged and thoroughly enjoyed.

I watched some of the special features too. Very funny to see (currently in the news) Stormy Daniels playing Red's (Danny McBride) wife in one of them!

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 03-13-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Space Cowboys. Horrible movie. As much I liked seeing Eastwood, Garner, Sutherland, and Jones in the same movie, it was just awful. Way too long...and simply unbelievable...Bad movie...

Gran Torino. Not a big Eastwood fan, but this was surprisingly great. I can't believe I put off watching this for so long...Really touching and I thought Eastwood's role was fantastic...Wow...My new favorite Eastwood-directed movie...

Long Weekend. Australian horror/suspense movie. Not very good...The author the story was based on is a great writer, but this just didn't fly for me...Big letdown...
Old 03-13-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Million Dollar Baby. Didn't much care for it...Have been trying to get through the Eastwood Blu-Ray boxset I bought recently...Felt this was a little weak...Watching Invictus now...Hopefully it's a bit better...
Old 03-13-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Rock. One of my all-time favorite action movies. Love every minute of it...The cast is superb...Harris, Morse, Cage, Connery...Just an awesome way to spend a couple of hours...

Broken Arrow. Hasn't aged very well...I loved this back in the day but now the plot seems pretty preposterous...Still like seeing Slater and Travolta go at it...But it's not as good as I remembered...

Con Air. Hilariously good action movie, filled with an awesome cast...Loved seeing Cusack, Cage, Malkovich, Trejo, Buscemi, and everyone else...Had fun rewatching this one...

Face/Off. Watched this just cause I wanted to continue watching all of the crazy action movies Nicholas Cage made in the mid-nineties...This was good...Probably John Woo's best American movie...That said, I'd still take Hard-Boiled and The Killer over this any day...

Sonatine. Best Takeshi Kitano movie. Some company needs to release this on Blu-Ray...Would kill to see this as a Criterion release...

Back to watching this Eastwood movie...

Last edited by Goonies85; 03-13-18 at 08:01 AM. Reason: adding clarification
Old 03-13-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by goblin23

This was a re-watch for me as I was looking to re-watch SuperBad, but I then realized that I had never upgraded to BD on that one (bidding on a copy on eBay now) so I threw this one in, indulged and thoroughly enjoyed.

I watched some of the special features too. Very funny to see currently in the new Stormy Daniels playing Red's (Danny McBride) wife in one of them!
One of my favorite movies ever. I love most of what David Gordon Green has done, but for whatever reason this is my favorite...That said, I still love The Undertow, George Washington, and Manglehorn...His latest movie, Stronger, is also extremely good...He seems to be able to tackle all sorts of genres and is usually successful...I can't wait for his Halloween movie with Danny McBride...
Old 03-13-18, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85
One of my favorite movies ever. I love most of what David Gordon Green has done, but for whatever reason this is my favorite...That said, I still love The Undertow, George Washington, and Manglehorn...His latest movie, Stronger, is also extremely good...He seems to be able to tackle all sorts of genres and is usually successful...I can't wait for his Halloween movie with Danny McBride...
I need to see more of his stuff. Stronger didn't look like my kind of movie but I'll give it a try.
Old 03-13-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by goblin23
I need to see more of his stuff. Stronger didn't look like my kind of movie but I'll give it a try.
I thought Stronger was going to be really melodramatic when I first heard of it, but it was surprisingly great. Best parts are the scenes with the main character and his fellow Bostonians...Really great actors...I think you'll love the movie...Let me know what you think...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.