Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 11-18-15, 09:11 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Watched Moontrap (Anniversary Edition) this evening...

Old 11-19-15, 04:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The Big Hit - Hadn't seen it since it was in theaters.
Old 11-19-15, 08:52 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Hook this evening...

Old 11-19-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

The director states in his commentary that this was shot on 35mm, but the original elements went missing. The blu-ray has a fullscreen transfer sourced from a 1" tape master -- but at least it provides a more stable image than the long OOP VHS. Not a great movie, but worth a watch if you're bored on a Friday night. Traci Lords is the major selling point, but she doesn't have ton of screen time and stays fully clothed. Kind of a boring role. The flick does feature such memorable ditties as "I'm a Virgin Girl" and "I'm in Love With a Slut"... too bad they never released a soundtrack album.
Old 11-20-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 779 Likes on 635 Posts

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Surprisingly good.

Old 11-21-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Burt was an enjoyable personality/superstar when I was a kid, but films like this made me cop a snob attitude over the lowbrow standards of the masses. Even at 11 years old, this looked like cheesy posturing/pandering.
Now I can enjoy it as somewhat simple minded nostalgia...but there are definitely scenes that make me feel more than justified for feeling the way I did back then.

Season 1 Ep 7
This set has been a big surprise for me. Although I'm only on the second disc, I've been enjoying seeing this again immensely. Smith/Harris is still cringe inducing, but thankfully not often as front and center as he will be in the seasons to come. Even with his antics, the show so far is a blast. I'm also struck by how the broad fantasy aspects are more like lyrical Ray Bradbury than merely hack TV nonsense. Warren Oates cowboy astronaut in an earlier ep definitely came across with a RB vibe as he waxes poetic on the sights he's seen as well as the matter of fact way the fantasy coincidences are just taken for granted and rolled with.
I'm sure I'll burn out on the material the way I have with Batman (which also started off as a hugely satisfying nostalgia fix), but for right now I'm really glad I grabbed this when I did.
Old 11-21-15, 08:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Seventh Son this evening...

Old 11-22-15, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Burt was an enjoyable personality/superstar when I was a kid, but films like this made me cop a snob attitude over the lowbrow standards of the masses. Even at 11 years old, this looked like cheesy posturing/pandering.
Now I can enjoy it as somewhat simple minded nostalgia...but there are definitely scenes that make me feel more than justified for feeling the way I did back then.

Season 1 Ep 7
This set has been a big surprise for me. Although I'm only on the second disc, I've been enjoying seeing this again immensely. Smith/Harris is still cringe inducing, but thankfully not often as front and center as he will be in the seasons to come. Even with his antics, the show so far is a blast. I'm also struck by how the broad fantasy aspects are more like lyrical Ray Bradbury than merely hack TV nonsense. Warren Oates cowboy astronaut in an earlier ep definitely came across with a RB vibe as he waxes poetic on the sights he's seen as well as the matter of fact way the fantasy coincidences are just taken for granted and rolled with.
I'm sure I'll burn out on the material the way I have with Batman (which also started off as a hugely satisfying nostalgia fix), but for right now I'm really glad I grabbed this when I did.
I've reported often that I graduated high school in 1977, the year of Smokey and The Bandit. Burt was a box office superstar. I remember vividly all the buzz of him appearing in the centerfold as well as that commercial for the stockings.

He definitely had a formula for much of his stuff. Not quite as defined as an Elvis formula but still there. His background in stunts plus his friendship with Hal Needham resulted in a ton of crash a few cars, get in a fight, hilarity ensues movies. They were lowbrow but with the overdose of CGI and greenscreens they at least feel genuine compared to today stuff. Today is a spectacle to be sure. But back then they really did jump the car over the ravine, and the car really was on the road, or at least on the back of a flatbed that was on the road. Smokey, Hooper, Cannonball Run, were hack, hokey, and simple but they were fun entertainment.

Would love to see a few episodes of Lost in Space for nostalgia's sake. Had a huge crush on Angela Cartwright back in the day. Is this available for streaming? If so I'll have to learn how to do it and see a couple.
Old 11-23-15, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The Hangover III
Going the Distance
Old 11-25-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really gave the surrounds a workout. An audio and visual feast for the senses. As far as the movie is concerned i thought it was pretty poor. The dialogue was predictable and attrocious. The green screen and CGI is so obvious it takes you right out of the movie. I can think of a bunch of disaster films much more engaging than this one.
Old 11-26-15, 02:52 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Started watching Troy (Director's Cut: Special Edition) while we ate dinner, we'll finish it up tonight.
Old 11-27-15, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Finished disc 2. The eps are starting to lose their poetic quality, and the Smith antics, along with the other characters always shrugging it off, is becoming frustrating. No way a mother is going to just smile and shake her head when a shiftless, cowardly a-hole's actions are constantly jeopardizing the lives of her children.
Still compulsively watching it though.
I have a hard time narrowing a selection of a movie down, but it seems like I always feel like watching the next episode of this .

It's always a great feeling when I re-visit something that I wasn't in synch with when I first saw it, and have it finally click. Some of my favorite movie experiences this year were seeing things for a second time that I initially hated the first time around.
This, unfortunately, wasn't one of them.
I really want to like this film, but it's just a big misfire to me. A lot of talent on display, and the figure that inspires the material (Joplin) is a favorite of mine, but they really can't pull it together and make it compelling. Frankly it's a slog to spend 2+ hours with this character. Like being shackled to the sloppy drunk chick at a party full of more interesting and more sober people. Would have been much smarter for the filmmakers to have focused on Alan Bates promoter/manager character as he has to accommodate and navigate around the title characters emotional instability.

I've reported often that I graduated high school in 1977, the year of Smokey and The Bandit. Burt was a box office superstar. I remember vividly all the buzz of him appearing in the centerfold as well as that commercial for the stockings.
Burt was awesome in his prime. He always came across as a guy that didn't take himself to seriously which was very ingratiating. He was also a terrific raconteur. Seeing how frail he looks now is kind of heartbreaking.
Old 11-27-15, 09:10 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Snow White & the Huntsman (Extended Edition) this evening, thought it was pretty good.....again.
Old 11-27-15, 09:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 988 Likes on 825 Posts

No Escape (2015)...terrible.
A Christmas Horror Story...couldn't get through it.
Old 11-27-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanksgiving day tradition

Had more laughs than I was expecting but mostly a rehash of the original

A day after thanksgiving day tradition since I first saw this with my daughter in the theater
Old 11-30-15, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spy
Black Sheep (1996)
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Old 12-01-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Riki and the Flash, Shaun the Sheep, Rudy, Vacation, and American Ultra

Did Ed Helms read the script before deciding to do Vacation?

Rudy still holds up and it was more fun watching it now compared to the first time.

Shaun the Sheep was funny and cute.

Old 12-03-15, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 315 Posts

German Angst (2015)
Old 12-04-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Manglehorn

Spoiler:
Where was the warning for the graphic images of the cat surgery lol?

Old 12-05-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 957 Posts

The City of Lost Children -

The video and audio are great but certain parts of the subtitle translations are odd. Granted, this has been the case for years, but the best translated version of the film was the U.S. laserdisc version. Hell, the U.S. VHS release had better subs, too. I wonder if they license subtitles like they do special features?

In any event - this is the best the film has ever looked and sounded.
Old 12-06-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did Ed Helms read the script before deciding to do Vacation?

Rudy still holds up and it was more fun watching it now compared to the first time.

I was wondering the same thing about Helms. Did he just need the money or was he looking for an opportunity to bang Applegate? This had so much good going for it but instead they chose to take the original and make it grosser and more mean spirited.

Rudy, in spite of playing fast and loose with the actual facts it is a great movie. I met Rudy Ruttiger at a celebrity event and he's very forthcoming about the liberties taken with the actual story in order to make a more compelling movie. There was an actual guy named Rudy, he actually got to play, everything else is Hollywood artistic license.
Old 12-06-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why does everyone assume that people who are in a movie together are automatically having sex with one another? I mean, I have no doubt that they would like to, but realistically, people make it sound like signing on=sex with costar .
Old 12-07-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I was wondering the same thing about Helms. Did he just need the money or was he looking for an opportunity to bang Applegate? This had so much good going for it but instead they chose to take the original and make it grosser and more mean spirited.

Rudy, in spite of playing fast and loose with the actual facts it is a great movie. I met Rudy Ruttiger at a celebrity event and he's very forthcoming about the liberties taken with the actual story in order to make a more compelling movie. There was an actual guy named Rudy, he actually got to play, everything else is Hollywood artistic license.
Chevy Chase and Beverly D' Angelo appeared in the movie too. Maybe it was a cash grab.

Comedy sequels and remakes are hard to make and can't think of any comedy sequels that were funny.

Rudy might be corny but I like it. Joe Montana said he was annoying since he was there when Joe was playing for ND but it is a moving story about not giving up.

Inside Out and Omen III The Final Conflict

Self/Less A waste of a good premise and idea. It was directed by Tarsem Singh but I don't see any of his visual style in the movie probably since he did not write it.

Old 12-07-15, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Entourage: The Movie
Old 12-07-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why does everyone assume that people who are in a movie together are automatically having sex with one another? I mean, I have no doubt that they would like to, but realistically, people make it sound like signing on=sex with costar .
My comment was only partially serious partially a joke. They say that actors take jobs for 3 reasons; the money, the location , or the art. I'd contend there is a fourth, working with the actor/actress/director already in the movie. Plus it has happened with enough frequency it doesn't surprise many when it happens.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.