Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 07-01-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Immortals 3D
Old 07-02-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

This is the only movie to rent since Non-Stop, Joe, Walk of Shame, and Blood Ties are all on "Very Long Wait"

I might consider dropping Netflix if this continues.
Old 07-02-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix don't care at all about their mail rental service anymore, I'm inches from dropping it.
Old 07-02-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
Old 07-03-14, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Started off promising, but ultimately didn't amount to anything special, with a resolution that is illogical and unmerited. The Alaskan setting is also pretty much wasted. This is the kind of movie Hollywood should be re-making and improving upon, not already acknowledged classics.
PQ/AQ was solid though.

Wow! This is more like it! Despite being 40 minutes longer than Vengeance, this just flew by for me.
Been wanting to see this for many years now and it didn't disappoint. In fact, I walked away more impressed than I ever expected to be. Subversive, affecting, slyly funny...this is adult material in the best sense of the word. Great performances all around and a masterful job by Fosse of bringing all the elements together to function like a Swiss watch. Hell of a film.
PQ/AQ was excellent and among the best of Unsworth's that has ever been translated to disc.
Old 07-03-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-04-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Some of the bonus Puppetoons from

The craftsmanship on display in this set is staggering. Gorgeous technicolor imagery and fun, brief narratives that don't overstay their welcome. Great set, just a little disappointing that the shorts in the main feature don't look quite as brilliant or sharp as the restored ones in the extras.
Check out the screenshots for those interested, this type of animation isn't being made anymore:

http://www.doblu.com/2014/01/03/the-...lu-ray-review/

It's a nice set.
Old 07-04-14, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Started this last night, will finish it tonight. After waiting for ages for this release, I'm a bit disappointed. The picture is stellar, however the stereo audio didn't seem to have any improvement over the DVD. Then, instead of using seamless branching, they put both cuts onto one disc, the 162 minute reconstruction is just SD. Still like the movie but somewhat disappointed in the "upgrade"
Old 07-04-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's hugely disappointing. The reconstructed version was probably only put together in SD and not worth the price of scanning into HD .
Old 07-04-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
That's hugely disappointing. The reconstructed version was probably only put together in SD and not worth the price of scanning into HD .
Sounds logical. And since I can't remember anyone else on this board looking for this on Blu they've probably sold about 9 copies total thereby making their estimate accurate
Old 07-04-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-04-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crystal Lake Memories (2013)

I'm glad the filmmakers learned from the horrendous 'His Name Was Jason' (2009) and tailored this film more like 'Never Sleep Again' (2010). It was a pleasure devoting 6.5 hours to this film!
Old 07-04-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My July 4 tradition, race home from fireworks and watch ID4 on Blu
Old 07-05-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Netflix don't care at all about their mail rental service anymore, I'm inches from dropping it.

I hope that is not true since usually I return a movie on Sat so I can get the new release on Mon.

The 28 day delays are bad enough

They don't even give you the option to email them and only phone calls.

In a World

Another movie I got because nothing else is available.

Old 07-05-14, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
In a World

Another movie I got because nothing else is available.

great movie. own. seen it twice.
Old 07-05-14, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Lone Survivor...pretty compelling and intense.
Old 07-06-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better Living Through Chemistry and Tango & Cash

Old 07-06-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Follow me on Letterboxd!
Old 07-07-14, 07:46 AM

Watched Thief from Criterion over the weekend at my in-laws house (with my soon to be wife and her mom). They did a great job on restoration as usual, and the movie was really good until the end where in my opinion it just fell off the rails. I'll probably get rid of it in the near future, and most people will probably see it as blasphemy since I'm dissing a Criterion title, but I was not feeling this one at all.
Old 07-08-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kick Ass 2. Sorry if anyone liked that one but damn, that was bad.
Old 07-09-14, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tokyo Drifter (1966)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
Old 07-09-14, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

over the last several days...

World class restoration, but...nope. Still one of my least favorite of the classic Universal monster movies.

Enjoyed it quite a bit. Low budget, laid back mid 70's riff on the Bathroy theme. Christina Ferrare gives a surprisingly decent performance as a reluctant bloodsucker (closer to Romero's Martin rather than Dracula). The south of the border shooting locations also contribute to the film's unique vibe. The print is beat up in places but the overall transfer and encode are solid. May be too slow going, and not enough gore for most horror hounds, but I'm happy my piqued interest in it was paid off.

Yet another variation on the Bathroy theme, this time with high class, decadent Europeans (an excellent performance by Delphine Seyrig). Better actors, better writing, better cinematography...just an all around more professional production than MMBM, yet for some reason I enjoyed this much less.
Was looking forward to tossing it in the "to sell" pile, but then I realized that it contained an entire second feature- The Blood Spattered Bride- as an extra.
One of the better (best) looking transfers I've seen from Blue Underground. No scanner noise, just a solid, detailed, film-like image.

The Sign Of The Four from

Just when I think they can't all be winners, the story rounds the bend and finishes with high style and purpose. One thing I noticed this go round was the insane amount of camera set-ups in this show. Amazing.

This was made only two years after Last Tango In Paris, but the explicitness of the sexual content here makes the older film seem positively Victorian. Had to pick my jaw up off the floor several times during this one. Not just because of the rawness of the material, which at times gets very vulgar, but because of the skill and craft of director Blier. The two leads (Depardieu and the dead too young Dewaere ) are immediately shown to be reprehensible thugs; harassing, molesting, and ultimately robbing a woman in the opening scene. As distasteful as I found the characters at the opening, it wasn't long before these misogynistic tools actually engendered my sympathy. By the end of the film, they are still reprehensible human beings...but, credit to Blier, they are fully realized human beings, not just characters in a movie.
Right up there with Cabaret as one of the most fascinating films I've seen in a while.
Great job by Kino with this. A smooth, but very film-like image with no noticeable deficits beyond a couple quick shots from oddly lesser source elements.

Based on reviews I thought this might a wrongly neglected gem. No. It's neglect is simply due to it not being anything special. The rise and fall (into the drink) of an amoral business man who doesn't let anyone stand in his way. Syndey Greenstreet has a sizable role as one of the business titans ultimately bested by the lead. Odd structure that makes use of multiple flashbacks that climaxes in an entertaining , but slightly cornball fashion.
Olive's disc looks OK with the biggest problem being the condition of the source at points.

First time seeing this and for much of it I felt like I was 13 again. Great second unit, and effects work from Jim Cameron definitely add a substantial factor to what would otherwise be a mildly amusing space opera riff on the Magnificent Seven. John Sayles script gets in a few good lines, but if it were about 10 minutes shorter it would probably be even better.
Great looking disc from Shout...from back when they first had something to prove.
Old 07-09-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-09-14, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Watched Passion
What did you think? I saw it in a used store for $6.99 and couldn't pull the trigger even though I like a lot of DePalma movies.
Old 07-09-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
What did you think? I saw it in a used store for $6.99 and couldn't pull the trigger even though I like a lot of DePalma movies.

Went into this one with low expectations and liked it alot.
Reminded me of his Hitchcockian stuff from the 70's & 80's.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.