Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Ok I think I got it now ..........Ok one thing I want to clarify and the whole reason this all got started is? ........... Could (or will) there be a difference in sound quality between the DTS version of the LOTR trilogy I have now and IF they come out with a TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA version on BD?
Yes, DTS (without "-HD MA" attached) is a lossy format, even in its "full"-bitrate form. Personally, I think DTS should have made this more clear in the naming. There's actually a "DTS-HD" (no MA) that is yet another lossy format, but better than "standard" DTS.
Old 10-11-08, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys thanks for the clarification
Old 11-12-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I'll be surprised if the films debut in anything other than the Theatrical cuts. I'll bet a lot of people who say they wouldn't buy the Theatrical would cave if it was the only game in Blu town.

Then after a decent interval, they'll sell us the extended. It worked for them on DVD, and it'll work for them again on Blu. Why sell us a movie once rather than twice?

But I'll be happy to be wrong!
You probably aren't wrong

Originally Posted by TheDigitalBits
Finally, our industry sources have hinted to us that when Warner delivers The Lord of the Rings films on Blu-ray Disc, some time late next year, they will very likely be the original theatrical versions. But don't freak out and run off to start a petition or something. There's good reason for it: Word is that director Peter Jackson wants to save the Extended Editions for an elaborate and ultimate Blu-ray box set release closer to the debut of the new Hobbit films in theatres. This way, as was the case with the previous DVD releases, you'll eventually get both versions and the best will be saved for last.
Old 11-12-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I'll netflix the theatrical BDs and hold out for the eventual EE box set.
Old 11-12-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sounds like a good plan to me, too.
Old 11-12-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah- wake me when the EEs are announced.
Old 11-12-08, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Yeah- wake me when the EEs are announced.
in the year 2011... long sleep, eh?
Old 11-12-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I won't even rent them. There's just no point for me anymore. The EE's are the films I love, and it would be too jarring to see the films with all that stuff cut. I haven't watched the TE's since they all came out on DVD before each respective EE.
Old 11-12-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
in the year 2011... long sleep, eh?
It's cool- I have better movies to watch in the meantime.

I doubt it'll take that long, though. My money's on Q4, 2010.
Old 11-12-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I won't even rent them. There's just no point for me anymore. The EE's are the films I love, and it would be too jarring to see the films with all that stuff cut. I haven't watched the TE's since they all came out on DVD before each respective EE.
I feel the same- and I haven't watched the TE's since the theatrical first-run.
Old 11-12-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
same here.
Old 11-12-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blu-Ray.com is reporting

Our good friend Bill Hunt is at it again, and today he has more information regarding the upcoming release of the 'Lord of the Rings' films. This bad news is that when Warner delivers the films sometime late next year, they will be of the theatrical versions of the films. The good news is that this decision was made because director Peter Jackson wants to save the extended versions for a super Blu-ray boxset to be released near the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit'.

With the original extended cut box sets being of the utmost quality, I have high hopes that Jackson will once again produce a magnificent Blu-ray box set for the extended cuts of the film. Until then (which will be about two years if 'The Hobbit' stays on schedule, enjoy the theatricals cuts on Blu-ray sometime next year.
Old 11-12-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ECHO . . . ECho . . . Echo . . . echo . . .

Old 11-12-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Ditto

HD is nice, but I'd prefer the DVD EEs over a shiny blu-ray Theatricals. Humbug!!!
Old 11-12-08, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I alone in preferring the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Return? I'll buy all three theatricals and all three extended cuts when they come out on Blu-ray. It's Lord of the Rings.
Old 11-12-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Yes you might be right be of what I've heard on my system it sounds better(IE: compared Batman Begins)........But I do kind agree with of some of it........ but I think alot has to do with the transfer.........for example IMO I am hard-pressed to find a movie tranfer better than LOTR Trilogy especially Fellowship of the Rings(in DTS of course ) also I think Titanic is a reference disc also....The audio and video transfer on these are excellent! Fellowship will rival any TrueHD I have ...only way to compare is if they come out with it in TrueHD or MA then I could compare ......
Well for me there aren't many movies I would re-buy on BD especially at the prices they sell them for now!
I haven't even bought a BD player yet. There is no movie I have to see that bad to pay $299! for a player(stand alone for me). I am looking to try to take advantage of the Sony CC offer($150 off) and get the 350 for $150 That I can handle
To each their own.........I like the audio portion of these movies and would love to here LOTR in 7.1 (true 7.1)
You realize, smilies are optional, yes?
Old 11-12-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
You realize, smilies are optional, yes?
Now he tells me.
Old 11-12-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hope nobody in here complains. We got the theatricals well in advance on DVD before the extendeds, but it was cool they let us know what was coming. Now again, they are letting us know the extendeds are coming eventually... so make your choice, and nobody can complain later on that they had no idea the extended cuts were going to eventually come.

I'm disappointed I can't get them off the bat but, at least this information is up front here and now.
Old 11-12-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not have both on the same disc or set?

There I go with my crazy ideas again.
Old 11-12-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I hope nobody in here complains. We got the theatricals well in advance on DVD before the extendeds, but it was cool they let us know what was coming. Now again, they are letting us know the extendeds are coming eventually... so make your choice, and nobody can complain later on that they had no idea the extended cuts were going to eventually come.

I'm disappointed I can't get them off the bat but, at least this information is up front here and now.
True, but I think the rationale there was that it took time to get the EEs and their supplements put together. Now, they should be ready to go.
Old 11-12-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I hope nobody in here complains.
Old 11-12-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Oh I would never complain about how the DVD's and this go down. I'm just disappointed. It was different with the DVD's - all we knew when each TE came out on DVD was that cut. Now we know what we are missing.

Also, I wouldn't say three months (seven for ROTK) was well in advance - just my opinion.

FOTR and TTT TE's came out in late August, followed by their respective EE's in November of the same year. ROTK TE came out in May but the EE wasn't until December. We're talking about a much longer wait until the Blu EE's.
Old 11-12-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's not forget they were also able to release seamless branching versions with the theatrical and extended versions, also.
Old 11-13-08, 01:39 AM

At least they are coming. I will not buy the theatricals because I love the EE so much. Maybe a rent to see the quality and such for the anticipation for the EE.
Old 11-13-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Am I alone in preferring the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Return? I'll buy all three theatricals and all three extended cuts when they come out on Blu-ray. It's Lord of the Rings.
No. Same here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.