Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think we'll have the Extended Editions of all three movies on Blu-ray disc (two discs per movie) with either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio 6.1 soundtracks.
Old 10-04-08, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
I think we'll have the Extended Editions of all three movies on Blu-ray disc (two discs per movie) with either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio 6.1 soundtracks.
In think we will get 2.0 Mono on them. Might as well shoot low with Warner, right?
Old 10-04-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
As long as the extended editions are included, I don't really care if any extras are included at all. I'll still be holding on to all of my LOTR dvds.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-05-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, after seeing the extended editions, I can't go back to theatrical only, Blu-ray or not. I'm sure they will be extended though.
Old 10-05-08, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Am I the only one who prefers the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Return? The extended cuts of those ruin the pacing, imo.

On the other hand, the extended cut of The Two Towers takes the worst of the three films and makes it the best.
Old 10-05-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Am I the only one who prefers the theatrical cuts of Fellowship and Return? The extended cuts of those ruin the pacing, imo.

On the other hand, the extended cut of The Two Towers takes the worst of the three films and makes it the best.
I agree with you on the Two Towers. The Extended version makes it the best movie of the trilogy. Ideally, it would be nice to have both versions of each film.
Old 10-05-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Extended or nothing for me. Of my many multiple viewings, I've only see the theatricals three times; twice in the theater and once on DVD before the Extended versions came out for each film.

I don't care if they have to split the movies across two BD50's if that's what it takes to have the extended versions with lossless and the best possible PQ.
Old 10-05-08, 11:18 AM
Suspended

I've actually never seen any of the LOTRs. So I'd prefer, like, any version I suppose
Old 10-05-08, 12:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I've actually never seen any of the LOTRs. So I'd prefer, like, any version I suppose
Are you serious?
If your waiting on the BD version at least rent them, these movies are just incredible.
Old 10-05-08, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tiger_qc
Are you serious?
If your waiting on the BD version at least rent them, these movies are just incredible.
Yeah. I have the book DVD editions, but Randal's explanation in Clerks II sealed the deal for me not wanting to see these anytime soon.
Old 10-05-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the current book extended editions and i've only watched them once through and only watched part of the extras from Fellowship. I probably will pass on the Blu-ray unless they include both theatrical and extended at a decent price. I'm just not big enough of a fan of these movies to rewatch them often, although i've been meaning to.
Old 10-05-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah. I have the book DVD editions, but Randal's explanation in Clerks II sealed the deal for me not wanting to see these anytime soon.
The Clerks II scene was mildly amusing, but more so because it was about two groups of fanboys arguing over which film trilogy gets their undying love and devotion rather than any good slams on LOTRs. Unless you're a movie character, it's possible to watch and enjoy both.
Old 10-05-08, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The Clerks II scene was mildly amusing, but more so because it was about two groups of fanboys arguing over which film trilogy gets their undying love and devotion rather than any good slams on LOTRs. Unless you're a movie character, it's possible to watch and enjoy both.
Yeah, I know its just a scene, but I have very little interest in the films. Ive seen enough bits and pieces to see its not my kind of movie. Sadly, I still have all 3 on DVD and since I like the cases so much I have yet to sell them. I'll probably watch them on Blu-ray...some day.
Old 10-05-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might be in the minority, but I can care less if it's the Theatrical or Extended. Yeah, the Extended's are better films but at this point I'll take anything. Give me the entire film re-dubbed in Mandarin with the cast of "Brooke Knows Best" re-inacting all the scenes and I'm there. As long as it's in 1080p and has lossless audio.

I'll just buy the re-release later. Hell, I own all 3 versions of each film on DVD, why stop now?
Old 10-05-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Bits and pieces really doesn't allow you to get into them IMO.

It's basically a huge 11 hour movie, and you have to invest yourself in it. I've found the best way to watch them at home is one per night, three nights in a row.
Old 10-05-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I loved the Fellowship EE, but I have only been able to watch The Return of the King EE once since it came out. Its just too damn long.
Old 10-06-08, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I'll be surprised if the films debut in anything other than the Theatrical cuts. I'll bet a lot of people who say they wouldn't buy the Theatrical would cave if it was the only game in Blu town.

Then after a decent interval, they'll sell us the extended. It worked for them on DVD, and it'll work for them again on Blu. Why sell us a movie once rather than twice?

But I'll be happy to be wrong!
Old 10-06-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I'll be surprised if the films debut in anything other than the Theatrical cuts. I'll bet a lot of people who say they wouldn't buy the Theatrical would cave if it was the only game in Blu town.

Then after a decent interval, they'll sell us the extended. It worked for them on DVD, and it'll work for them again on Blu. Why sell us a movie once rather than twice?

But I'll be happy to be wrong!
They were very up-front about their release plans re: theatrical and extended cuts on SD-DVD. I hope that continues through to the Blu-ray releases.

I'll wait for extended cuts.
Old 10-06-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I just hope that Warner will utilize the full extent of the technology for the LOTR trilogy. Both theatrical and extended with lossless audio. Throw in the already created, extensive amount of extras and we have a potential benchmark BD release.
Old 10-06-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Walker Boh
They were very up-front about their release plans re: theatrical and extended cuts on SD-DVD. I hope that continues through to the Blu-ray releases.

I'll wait for extended cuts.
As will I.

There is no need to rush or double dip on anything.
Old 10-06-08, 09:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rexinnih
I just hope that Warner will utilize the full extent of the technology for the LOTR trilogy. Both theatrical and extended with lossless audio. Throw in the already created, extensive amount of extras and we have a potential benchmark BD release.

but it wont be DTS-MA HD (damn you Warners, New Line merging into Warner permanently axed DTS)
Old 10-06-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Exactly....this is all I want....if Paramount can do this for the Godfather films, and Warner themselves already did this with the Matrix films, than Warner needs to step up to the plate again with this New Line property and deliver the goods....
Old 10-06-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
but it wont be DTS-MA HD (damn you Warners, New Line merging into Warner permanently axed DTS)
There is absolutely no difference in quality between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
Old 10-06-08, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There is absolutely no difference in quality between Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
Really I thought MA was 7.1 and trueHD was 5.1(or maybe 6.1)? The only MA I have heard is Pan's Labyrinth and it's incredible! The TrueHD ones I have(I.E. Harry Potter series) don't sound as good. I am finding out that it comes down to the transfer of the movie that makes the biggest difference. Example Batman Begins,now that is a very nice transfer and almost rivals Pan's !
Old 10-06-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Really I thought MA was 7.1 and trueHD was 5.1(or maybe 6.1)? The only MA I have heard is Pan's Labyrinth and it's incredible! The TrueHD ones I have(I.E. Harry Potter series) don't sound as good. I am finding out that it comes down to the transfer of the movie that makes the biggest difference. Example Batman Begins,now that is a very nice transfer and almost rivals Pan's !
The sound format doesn't dictate the number of channels, at least when it comes to the lossless formats. It just so happens that New Line and Lionsgate have been using DTS-HD MA (though with Lionsgate sometimes it's PCM) for their 7.1 titles. TrueHD is capable of 7.1, but I don't know of any such titles offhand. There are many 5.1 DTS-HD MA mixes too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.