Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

Old 04-03-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray in 2010!

I wasn't going to get this anyway... but it's really disappointing hearing that about the PQ. I swear it's like Warner does this stuff on purpose. It's one thing to crap up DVD releases so people will buy the Blu-ray but to crap the theatrical releases to make the extended ones look better... not cool.
Old 04-03-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

You're of course assuming they won't botch the extended cut release as well.

I don't see malicious intent here. Just incompetence.
Old 04-03-10, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when or even if we will see the extended editions on Blu-ray?
Old 04-03-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
Does anyone know when or even if we will see the extended editions on Blu-ray?
I seem to recall some talk of cross promotion with the upcoming The Hobbit film.
Old 04-03-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering picking up this set during a sale, but since reviews of the first film's picture quality are negative, I'll just wait for the extended edition set. Hopefully the picture quality of Fellowship will be improved.
Old 04-03-10, 12:52 PM

I was in my local B.J.'s this morning, and this was already on the shelves for sale.
Old 04-03-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else seeing the same thing lately when ordering on Saturday?

Amazon's release day delivery guarantee has been working great for me since they started it a few months ago. As long as I met the deadline of the pre-order, I always got everything on Tuesday. However, that's not the case anymore. I could even order on Monday morning, choose 2-day release day delivery, and I'd still get everything the next day. I took these screen shots this morning for the LOTR listing. I'm not buying it, but wanted to show everyone what I'm seeing and was wondering if others are seeing this as well. The same thing happened to me on Sherlock Holmes. I got the title on Wednesday, even though I ordered it the Saturday before, which, according to Amazon's listing, was in plenty of time to get it on Tuesday.

I know it's just a 1 day difference, but if they're giving release day delivery, I better get it on release day.

Check this out:

Huh?
Old 04-03-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jackson walker
I was in my local B.J.'s this morning, and this was already on the shelves for sale.
are you going to tell us the price?
Old 04-03-10, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I don't know if it's out on shelves at my club, but the list price is $69.99.
Old 04-03-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The instore US price has got to be lower than I'm seeing on here... we never get good deals in Canada and this is will be selling everywhere locally for $49.99.
Old 04-03-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course Canada get the good deal.
Old 04-03-10, 08:42 PM

Sorry. $69.99 was the price.
Old 04-03-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
$20 per film is still very reasonable.
No. It's not. Especially for a catalog title.

My average cost per title in 2010 is $10.76 and I've purchased 50 titles (47 being individual films, 3 being box sets).

The highest priced box set I paid for was the Planet of the Apes: 40th Anniversary Collection which was $45. Divide that by five films in the set and we're at $9 per film. Each disc filled with bonus features, some exclusive to the Blu-ray set.

The highest priced single title I paid for is a tie between Black Dynamite and Ninja Assassin for $25 because I was simply impatient and needed them now.

I'm fine with my extended edition DVD sets of the trilogy and I wouldn't double-dip until I can score the extended edition Blu-rays, with ALL of its bonus material, for under $50.
Old 04-03-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon's release day delivery guarantee has been working great for me since they started it a few months ago. As long as I met the deadline of the pre-order, I always got everything on Tuesday. However, that's not the case anymore. I could even order on Monday morning, choose 2-day release day delivery, and I'd still get everything the next day. I took these screen shots this morning for the LOTR listing. I'm not buying it, but wanted to show everyone what I'm seeing and was wondering if others are seeing this as well. The same thing happened to me on Sherlock Holmes. I got the title on Wednesday, even though I ordered it the Saturday before, which, according to Amazon's listing, was in plenty of time to get it on Tuesday.

I know it's just a 1 day difference, but if they're giving release day delivery, I better get it on release day.

Check this out:

Huh?
I ordered Sherlock Holmes last Saturday and managed to get it release day.
Old 04-03-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$20 per movie is "reasonable" as far as being priced the same as every other catalog title that's been released lately. That's pretty standard across the board, give or take a couple bucks. I think that's all that people are saying.

Obviously bargain hunters that routinely count their averages won't buy it at that price, but what other brand new catalog release have had pricing under $15?
Old 04-05-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check this out:

Huh?
Looks like what you're seeing there isn't their "guaranteed Release Date Delivery" option. It's more of an "order this now and we estimate it should arrive on release day" thing. Here's what the guaranteed delivery option looks like (from another item listing, obviously):

Old 04-05-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
$20 per movie is "reasonable" as far as being priced the same as every other catalog title that's been released lately. That's pretty standard across the board, give or take a couple bucks. I think that's all that people are saying.

Obviously bargain hunters that routinely count their averages won't buy it at that price, but what other brand new catalog release have had pricing under $15?
Some Disney titles, such as Snow White for $10 at Amazon, come to mind. But you are correct for the most part. Even with catalog releases one usually has to wait for a while to get a decent deal.

Edit: The new catalog release, The Thomas Crown Affair (1999), is just $11.99 for a two disc BD/DVD set at Amazon. Perhaps we will see more reasonable priced catalog releases.

Last edited by lizard; 04-06-10 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I ordered Sherlock Holmes last Saturday and managed to get it release day.
I contacted Amazon about this. I ordered Sherlock Holmes with "release date delivery" and got it Thursday. They gave some BS reason but I think that sometimes it just doesn't work.
Old 04-05-10, 08:22 PM

Well my local Fry's has it for $59.** so I'll probably pick it up there. Best buy is selling it for $74.** and you can forget it at that price. $60 tops was my margin and I'll head toward Fry's in the morning.
Old 04-05-10, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Teremei
Well my local Fry's has it for $59.** so I'll probably pick it up there. Best buy is selling it for $74.** and you can forget it at that price. $60 tops was my margin and I'll head toward Fry's in the morning.
Best Buy also has the trilogy for the same price as Fry's, $59.99. The Best Buy Collectors edition with the junk included is $74.**.
Old 04-05-10, 10:35 PM

Ah I see so she looked at the wrong one, ok. Well I have to go to Fry's anyway but thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-06-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ I still remember paying ~$25 per TE DVD when they were first released. In comparison, getting each film on BD for $6 apiece is ridiculous.
And how many years ago did we all buy these LOTR EE on DVD for ~$25.
Old 04-06-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So are the 3 Bonus Feature DVDs the same ones that came with the original DVDs?
Old 04-06-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So are the 3 Bonus Feature DVDs the same ones that came with the original DVDs?
I recall reading that they are essentially the same bonus features discs, except that the video game previews/trailers have been replaced with newer-ish video game previews/trailers.

Personally, since I have all 3 TEs on DVD, I would rather they have just done away with the 6 DVDs in the set.
Old 04-06-10, 01:47 PM

yeah it feels like a rip off since I don't care to watch the extras again, and especially not in standard DEF. And 3 extra discs for digital copies? Just give me the 3 movie discs in superb HD quality, and it looks like they couldn't even get that done.

And just by the fact that these do look better than the DVDs, and the audio is deffinatly better. I'm STILL considering getting it. I mean how likely is it they will release another TC with the video done right this time? Should I wait out for that? Because I actually love the TC of the fellowship much better than the EE.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.