Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
is anybody a little disappointed that Snow White is the next title? If for nothing else than because it was already released as a Platinum title? Granted, that was just DVD... but I don't know, there a many others I'd rather have on BD next....
I am, a little, if only because I was hoping that they would get through all of the titles that haven't been released as a Platinum Edition, first. Also, I don't own Fantasia, so, I am really looking forward to it. I'll be happy with Snow White, as it is one of my favorites, and I'm sure it will look great on Blu-Ray, but, I'm with you on wishing that it wasn't the next one being released. Get through all of the releases that haven't been granted the "Platinum Edition" status, then start over. In fact, I believe Fantasia is the only other film that is planned for the Platinum Edition line, that hasn't been released, yet.

By the way, did anyone else experience the issue I had with the Disney View feature, that I mentioned in a post above (post #188)?
Old 03-17-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

is anybody a little disappointed that Snow White is the next title? If for nothing else than because it was already released as a Platinum title? Granted, that was just DVD... but I don't know, there a many others I'd rather have on BD next....
Not really. We're going to get them all eventually and two a year is better than just one. They are also releasing enough of the Pixar collection every year to kill the wait time between Platinum titles.
Old 03-17-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Not really. We're going to get them all eventually and two a year is better than just one. They are also releasing enough of the Pixar collection every year to kill the wait time between Platinum titles.
Good point, good point.
Old 03-17-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this last night. I was really impressed. I thought the Disney view was pretty cool. I hope they keep it for future releases. I've started getting into the special features, and so far they are pretty nice as well.

Looking forward to Snow White.
Old 03-17-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I realized the other day that my 2 1/2 year old daughter pronounces "shirt" without the 'r.' I have her couple it with the ever popular 'no,' at her age, and now I can make her say "no shit" on cue. It's hysterical. She has no idea what she's saying and she'll be pronouncing it correctly long before she knows the word shit.
When I was ~4 years old, there was a younger kid (probably 2 or 3) in my day care who mispronounced the "tr" sound as "f". We had a lot of fun taking him out to the driveway to look at the truck.
Old 03-17-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am, but that's mostly because I don't care much for Snow White. Fantasia and The Lion King are the two I want most. Fantasia is at least announced, but I'm figuring 2011 before we see The Lion King unless Disney breaks from their pattern.
Old 03-17-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I realized the other day that my 2 1/2 year old daughter pronounces "shirt" without the 'r.' I have her couple it with the ever popular 'no,' at her age, and now I can make her say "no shit" on cue. It's hysterical. She has no idea what she's saying and she'll be pronouncing it correctly long before she knows the word shit.
Yeah, well you should have seen my surprise the first time I found out my 18-month-old daughter knows what a clock is. Only thing is she cannot pronounce the "L" sound yet.
Old 03-17-09, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Yeah, well you should have seen my surprise the first time I found out my 18-month-old daughter knows what a clock is. Only thing is she cannot pronounce the "L" sound yet.
Sorry to take this further off-topic... My 2-1/4 year old also says "clock" this way, but luckily he always says "coo coo" before it. His new one is to hop around the floor and say "froggy", except that it doesn't sound at all like "froggy" but more like the bedroom act of 2 adults.

To get back on-topic... I did buy the Pinocchio Blu-Ray to enjoy with my son sometime in the near future. This was the first movie I ever saw in theaters as a child and it has probably been 30 years since I've watched it. I can't wait. Although, the posts about people being scarred as kids by the jackasses has me a little worried. :/
Old 03-17-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Off topic, you guys need to get your kids to say "Big Clock" and let the laughter ensue.

On topic, I'm with smashthesymbols, for classics give me both Fantasia's. More modern fare I'd like to see is Lion King, Lilo & Tarzan.

I bought Pinocchio but it's probably my least favorite Disney film. I'm not too pumped about Snow White either but if they toss in a DVD with that I'll probably be down for it as well.
Old 03-17-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Off topic, you guys need to get your kids to say "Big Clock" and let the laughter ensue.
I did get just "c(l)ock" on video. It was too classic not to.
Old 03-17-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne

By the way, did anyone else experience the issue I had with the Disney View feature, that I mentioned in a post above (post #188)?
yes it is a known issue
at least when watching on PS3 with latest firmware
Old 03-17-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by musick
yes it is a known issue
at least when watching on PS3 with latest firmware
Thanks for the reply. I'm not watching on a PS3, however. It is a Sony BDP-S550. I'll have to check into this further.
Old 03-17-09, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Exactly. The Blu-ray case was sealed and the slipcover was separate.
Sweet! Thanks
Old 03-17-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Favorite line: "I'd rather be smart than an actor"
Old 03-20-09, 08:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hopefully this will send a signal that more than 2 releases a year would be nice. Probably not going to happen though. I'm still happy to see it do this well - 70 years after the initial release. From imdb:

Pinocchio Does Whale Of A Business
19 March 2009 2:36 AM, PDT

Seventy years after it was originally released in theaters, Walt Disney's Pinocchio rose to the top of the home video sales charts last week, according to Nielsen VideoScan First Alert. It was also the top seller on Nielsen's Blu-ray Disc chart. Home Media Magazine reported that Blu-ray sales accounted for 15 percent of the total. Universal's Role Models debuted strongly in second place. Home Media Magazine said that the demand for the film, which earned $67.3 million during its theatrical run, was so strong that less than a week after it hit the shelves, 70 percent of inventory -- translating to about 2 million units -- was gone.

Last edited by E Unit; 03-20-09 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-20-09, 09:10 AM

Buy Pinocchio - watch the Snow White trailer!

When you buy the Blu Ray or DVD of Pinocchio , pop it into your player and watch the magnificent Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs trailer :

A magnificent trailer , beautifully edited , perfectly framed , crisply remastered ! In short a splendid advertisement for a very special motion picture Disney's Snow White the first and still the Fairest Of Them All !! Roll on October 2009 and I love the music too a real treat!
Old 03-21-09, 10:09 PM

I just opened and watched my Pinocchio Blu-Ray. After receiving an email saying Disney was offering double rewards this weekend, I wanted to enter my code today. I looked inside the booklet and everywhere on the package inside and out... and I couldn't find a Movie Rewards code anywhere.

Could someone please tell me where I'm supposed to find it or is it as I fear that Disney left the rewards insert out of mine and kindly deprived me of 250 (125 x 2) points? There's no way I'm going to cut my UPCs to get something I should've gotten in the first place, plus I'd only get 125 points by the time they got around to it.
Old 03-22-09, 11:14 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Could someone please tell me where I'm supposed to find it or is it as I fear that Disney left the rewards insert out of mine and kindly deprived me of 250 (125 x 2) points? There's no way I'm going to cut my UPCs to get something I should've gotten in the first place, plus I'd only get 125 points by the time they got around to it.
Call Disney's customer service. They'll ask for a number on the inside ring of the disc and can then send you a code via email.
Old 03-24-09, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
Call Disney's customer service. They'll ask for a number on the inside ring of the disc and can then send you a code via email.
I called Disney customer service and the lady (who seemed fairly knowledgeable) said she's never heard of anyone giving a number on the inside ring of the disc and getting the code via email. She asked me where I heard such a thing, and I said "I don't remember... someone mentioned it somewhere on the Internet".

Jim, where did you hear about this or how were you able to get an instant code using the inside ring of the disc? If you did, it sounds like someone made a big exception to the system they have in place.

The positive part of the call is that they will give me my double points when I mail in my "proof". The other positive is she said I don't have to cut out any UPCs, but I do have to submit the missing code online and mail in photocopies of the front/back and receipt.
Old 03-24-09, 10:53 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Jim, where did you hear about this or how were you able to get an instant code using the inside ring of the disc? If you did, it sounds like someone made a big exception to the system they have in place.
Hmmm, I must have remembered wrong. I know I've had to give those numbers on the inside ring for a couple of defective discs. I don't recall physically mailing anything in, but it was at least a couple of years ago and I can't be sure. A guess would be that I emailed them an online receipt - but obviously my memory has proved to be faulty. Sorry if I unnecessarily got your hopes up.
Old 03-24-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I think the contrast could have been a bit deeper, the BluRay looks fantastic. Hopefully Disney will fix the audio errors. I'm really liking the latest Lowry Process on the last few remasters of their classics. I was amazed by how on Peter Pan, all the rapid camera movement didn't result in minor smearing like on Bambi. It looks like they simply re-shot the films using digital cameras. They did a great job on the glow and shimmer effects, too. Snow White had a lot of blobbiness in rapid motion scenes on DVD.

Looking forward to Snow White and Fantasia, but I hope the latter finally gets proper treatment without alterations.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 03-24-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

actually you are correct, that was the case a few years ago, cause i did the same thing i emailed them copies of my reciept for a purchase of one of the powerrangers tv series to get the rewards points so i could use it towards getting a copy of ducktales the movie. i called them up gave them the number on the isde ring of the disc and they told me to email the reciept copy to them. about 3 days latter they sent me my code and i was able to get ducktales the movie but this was like 2005 i think somewhere around there
Originally Posted by Jim
Hmmm, I must have remembered wrong. I know I've had to give those numbers on the inside ring for a couple of defective discs. I don't recall physically mailing anything in, but it was at least a couple of years ago and I can't be sure. A guess would be that I emailed them an online receipt - but obviously my memory has proved to be faulty. Sorry if I unnecessarily got your hopes up.
Old 03-25-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dont know about you but getting the pixar collection is not holding me over till we see the animated classics. i honestly am not a fan of Computer animation and would prefer disney to start releasing its non platinum titles on Bluray asap. seriously there is no reason why we shouldnt have gotten Lilo and stich on Bluray when the new 2 disc standard dvd edition came out yesterday. i can see why some of the older titles might take some time but titles like Rescuers down under, Aladdin(which is no longer part of the platinum line) Home on the Range, Mulan, Hunchback, Pocahontas, Treasure Planet, Tarzan or any of the other non platinum titles from the 90s and early 2000s cant start seeing bluray releases
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Old 03-25-09, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by BluMan
seriously there is no reason why we shouldnt have gotten Lilo and stich on Bluray when the new 2 disc standard dvd edition came out yesterday. i can see why some of the older titles might take some time but titles like Rescuers down under, Aladdin(which is no longer part of the platinum line) Home on the Range, Mulan, Hunchback, Pocahontas, Treasure Planet, Tarzan or any of the other non platinum titles from the 90s and early 2000s cant start seeing bluray releases
Agree... althought I love computer animation. But we definitely should have gotten Lilo & Stitch and Oliver & Company on Blu when their DVD special editions came out.
Old 03-26-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Agree... althought I love computer animation. But we definitely should have gotten Lilo & Stitch and Oliver & Company on Blu when their DVD special editions came out.
I agree. I was surprised and dissapointed Lilo and Stitch didn't make it to BD. Really enjoy that movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.