Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition - Spring 2009

Originally Posted by Giles
on the scene captures - what's that on the side of the image?!? "wood" borders?

I was busy looking at the images, here's the explanation:

"A double wow i must give to the special art designed to fill the black bars on the right and left side of the screen, as this movie 's ratio is 4:3 - it adds so much and fits amazingly with the film (its a choice to view the art, you can play the film with the black bars as well if you wish) "
Its called 'Disney View'. You will learn more about it shortly. It can't be discussed in full detail yet until review copies have arrived.
Old 02-26-09, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
One of the posters on ultimate disney said it was 1978 when it was released then, and that has to be when I saw it. I never owned the vhs or the gold collection DVD. So it will be 31 years since I have seen it. Can't wait to watch this with my son.
what? not 1977 when Close Encounters came out ...
Old 02-26-09, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Its called 'Disney View'. You will learn more about it shortly. It can't be discussed in full detail yet until review copies have arrived.
aw poo...
Old 02-26-09, 03:50 PM
Suspended

aw poo...
I pretty much just told you what it is when I quoted that post. But I didn't actually say it. Review copies should show up tomorrow (or maybe today since I live only a few minutes from where they typically get shipped from). It's not mind blowing, but a nice alternative for several films coming out that are like Pinocchio. I would say Nightmare Before Christmas falls in that similar camp as well...but it won't be "Disney Viewed". If you can find the similarities between the two you would have your answer.
Old 02-26-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say Nightmare Before Christmas falls in that similar camp as well...but it won't be "Disney Viewed".
Probably not in the least because it's already been released, yes?

... or are you aware of an impending second dip?
Old 02-26-09, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Probably not in the least because it's already been released, yes?

... or are you aware of an impending second dip?
No, not a second dip. I'm just saying something about Pinocchio and Nightmare Before Christmas is similar in the general aspect of things. Other things of that type of ratio might be Disney Viewed when they get announced. From what I've seen of it I don't really care for it since its something I would turn off as I prefer blackness instead of artwork on the sides. They do, however, fit the 'feel' of each scene.

And for those worrying, Disney has not omitted any of the smoking scenes (as some might think they would being very PC nowadays). At least that's what I've heard - I have not seen the entire film yet.
Old 02-26-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And for those worrying, Disney has not omitted any of the smoking scenes (as some might think they would being very PC nowadays). At least that's what I've heard - I have not seen the entire film yet.
That's the word I was looking for! Thank you, Gizmo.
Old 02-26-09, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
That's the word I was looking for! Thank you, Gizmo.
No problem. If someone gave me time codes I could confirm tomorrow if they are present or not. Its be at least fifteen years since I've seen the film.
Old 02-26-09, 08:00 PM

Ooh, Disney made up a fancy name for throwing crap in the right and left borders of movies which were shot in 1.33 or 1.66 so they fill up an HiDef display. Wow! I was just watching the exact same thing, which I can only guess was called "ESPN View", at a sports bar at lunch.
Old 02-26-09, 08:09 PM

^ but if you read what I posted it's an video option you can choose, if you want traditional black borders you can choose as such... but we're not supposed to talk about this til the all the reviews start getting put online
Old 02-26-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, not a second dip. I'm just saying something about Pinocchio and Nightmare Before Christmas is similar in the general aspect of things. Other things of that type of ratio might be Disney Viewed when they get announced. From what I've seen of it I don't really care for it since its something I would turn off as I prefer blackness instead of artwork on the sides. They do, however, fit the 'feel' of each scene.
Well, with TNBC there's not much space there anyway. Those who have overscan may not even see much of the black side bars.
Old 02-26-09, 08:14 PM
Suspended

^ but if you read what I posted it's an video option you can choose, if you want traditional black borders you can choose as such... but we're not supposed to talk about this til the all the reviews start getting put online
SPRBD pretty much pegged what it is. The good thing is they can be turned OFF if you don't like them - just as I will be doing. They really are quite nice though (actual artwork not CGI crap).
Old 02-26-09, 08:15 PM

and it looks like it changes depending on how dark or light the scenes from the movie are.
Old 02-26-09, 08:20 PM
Suspended

and it looks like it changes depending on how dark or light the scenes from the movie are.
Yep. Some artwork is tailored around the scene being shown. I think there are 16 in total but I'd have to check my notes to confirm.
Old 02-26-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Disney View exclusive to the BD? I was planning on sticking with DVD for traditional animated films, but Disney View sounds like a great feature.
Old 02-26-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
Is Disney View exclusive to the BD? I was planning on sticking with DVD for traditional animated films, but Disney View sounds like a great feature.
They wouldn't do it because the DVD is 4:3 natively. In this case, the frame is 16:9, so they're adding side art in the empty space that can't be used for the film image. For that to work for DVD, they'd have to encode it anamorphically, but that would reduce the resolution of the image.

BTW, have you seen what traditional animation looks like in HD? Far be it from me to tell you what to buy, but I just hope you're not basing it on a preconceived notion that traditional animation doesn't benefit from HD. I remember that attitude being prevalent before they started releasing 2D animated titles.
Old 02-27-09, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
BTW, have you seen what traditional animation looks like in HD? Far be it from me to tell you what to buy, but I just hope you're not basing it on a preconceived notion that traditional animation doesn't benefit from HD. I remember that attitude being prevalent before they started releasing 2D animated titles.
Yeah, I really don't understand this notion. I suppose if you're talking about modern Saturday morning shows for kids that have 100 colors in their digital palette.. maybe. But animated films were the one thing that made me NEED HD. Many traditionally animated films suffer on DVD because the lines are too thin to be displayed in 480p without jaggedness, and on older interlaced discs... forget about it! They're ruined! Also, all of these frames were timed at 24fps, you need 24p to see the original fluid structure of the animation. Frankly, I can't think of a medium that benefits more from blu-ray than classic animated films.
Old 02-27-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, upgrading everything gets expensive. That's the main issue. I have to pick and choose what BDs to buy.
Old 02-27-09, 10:39 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I wonder if Disney view is just a separate encode? Or does blu-ray support this feature with native 4x3?
Old 02-27-09, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PerryD
I wonder if Disney view is just a separate encode? Or does blu-ray support this feature with native 4x3?
Its done using Java - not a separate encode. It can be turned ON/OFF witha click of a button (or at least that's what I've been told). Copies should be arriving today so you will probably see some reviews this weekend.

Unlike Sleeping Beauty, this will be packaged in the 3 Disc Blu-ray case - like Narnia 2, Wall-E 3 discers.
Old 02-27-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The "Disney View" isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Glad it's an option and not forced. Can't wait to pick this up. Pinocchio is one of my favorites.
Old 02-27-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlike Sleeping Beauty, this will be packaged in the 3 Disc Blu-ray case - like Narnia 2, Wall-E 3 discers.
It seems they always change the packaging of the Platinum releases right after issuing the first one. They did this when Snow White SD was first released in one of those fat double-DVD cases. Every release after that was in the regular-size cases with nice slipcovers.

I'm a fan of the 3-discers that Disney uses; I wish I could get one for Sleeping Beauty.
Old 02-27-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I'm a fan of the 3-discers that Disney uses; I wish I could get one for Sleeping Beauty.
You know, I could use the very same thing. Anyone know a source for these?
Old 02-27-09, 02:32 PM
Suspended

People that may have bought Wall-E, Caspian 3 discers maybe? Some people put them in sleeves instead of there cases. Keep in mind you won't be able to fit Sleeping Beautys slip case over the 3 disc case.
Old 02-27-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep in mind you won't be able to fit Sleeping Beautys slip case over the 3 disc case.
Especially since it's at the recycling center.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.