Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal releasing The Kingdom, Jarhead and 8 Mile on Blu Ray in November

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From dvdactive.com:

Title: 8 Mile
Starring: Eminem
Released: 18th November 2008
SRP: $29.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced a Blu-ray release of 8 Mile which stars Eminem, Kim Basinger, and Mekhi Phifer. The disc will be available to own from the 18th November, and should retail at around $29.98. The film will be presented in 1080p widescreen, along with an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. As far as we know, the only extra material will be a Making of 8 Mile featurette, the Superman music video, and uncensored rap battles. Stay tuned for the official package artwork.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/8-mile2.html

Title: Jarhead
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal
Released: 25th November 2008

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of Jarhead which stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, and Jamie Foxx. The Sam Mendes directed film will be available to own from the 25th November, and should retail at around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in 1080p widescreen, along with an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. As far as we know, the only extra material will be a commentary with Director Sam Mendes, and a second commentary with Screenwriter William Broyles, Jr. and Author Anthony Swofford. Stay tuned for the official package artwork for this one.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/jarhead6.html

Title: The Kingdom
Starring: Jamie Foxx
Released: 25th November 2008

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of The Kingdom which stars Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, and Jennifer Garner. The film will be presented in 1080p widescreen, along with an English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. Extras will include commentary With Director Peter Berg, featurettes (Character By Character: The Apartment Shootout, Constructing The Freeway Sequence, Creating The Kingdom), History of The Kingdom: An Interactive Timeline, deleted scenes, and U Control features.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-kingdom4.html
Old 09-05-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this bro but we normally put new announcements in the Blu-ray announcements thread.
Old 09-05-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

8 Mile!!!
Old 09-05-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Thanks for taking the time to do this bro but we normally put new announcements in the Blu-ray announcements thread.
Really? Because I see announcement threads all over the front page.
Old 09-05-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Really? Because I see announcement threads all over the front page.
I guess there are exceptions for big titles and what not.
Old 09-06-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I presume Universal will not fail horribly and will see fit to include all the Jarhead extras ala the HD-DVD. If not I might find myself not purchasing it.
Old 09-06-08, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I presume Universal will not fail horribly and will see fit to include all the Jarhead extras ala the HD-DVD. If not I might find myself not purchasing it.
They won't be including those. Only 25GB of space on Blu-ray now not 30GB. Consider all the extras (except commentary) to be dropped. 35 Minutes of deleted scenes...gone.
Old 09-06-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They won't be including those. Only 25GB of space on Blu-ray now not 30GB. Consider all the extras (except commentary) to be dropped. 35 Minutes of deleted scenes...gone.
Dual-layer Blu-ray discs are capable of holding 50GB. Space limitations are not a valid reason for excluding the extras.
Old 09-06-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Eh, I'll go ahead and take the lossless on this title over the extras. I'll always take the best presentation of the movie over EPKs and fluff featurettes.
Old 09-06-08, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Dual-layer Blu-ray discs are capable of holding 50GB. Space limitations are not a valid reason for excluding the extras.
Their not, but that's exactly what they have been doing (or doing U-Control like on U-571).

I thought we were done with this issue, especially since 40 YO, Knocked Up, and Sarah Marhsall are apparently going to be on 50GB discs (but things can change last minute as we saw with Scorpion King 2), but looks like its still going on with Jarhead, and its still unsure if The Thing is dropping its 80 minute documentary. We should all know for sure by the end of the week.
Old 11-17-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spanish site zonadvd has released the specs for the European edition. It will have all the bonus materials of the DVD and HD DVD, and even some in HD:

Audio: DTS MA English; DTS Spanish, Japanese, German, French, Italian
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean

Bonus materials:
Audio Commentary by director Sam Mendes
Audio Commentary by screenwriter William Broyles Jr. and author Anthony Swofford
Jarhead Diaries - With introduction by Sam Mendes
Background - With introduction by Sam Mendes
Semper Fi: Life After the Corps - With audio introduction by Anthony Swofford
News Interview in Full (in high-definition)
Swoff's Fantasies (in high-definition)
Deleted Scenes (in high-definition)

Release date is December 3. In the UK, December 1.
Old 11-17-08, 10:26 AM
Suspended

The European Edition once again has more features then the America (See The Thing). The HD DVD claims to have some features in HD (720p, if the back of the case is correct) but since I've never seen the movie and can't find a review that mentions them I'm not sure if its those 3 features. Looks like for fans you may want to wait for this one to appear in an Amazon.co.uk B2G1 Free.
Old 11-17-08, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Got both of these today....

Jarhead includes both commentaries and My Scenes. Missing everything else (deleted scenes, fantasy sequences, interviews etc.)

Kingdom looks like it has everything from the HD DVD. The Mission Dossier: Surveillance is now a U-Control feature. Oh, missing the Web-Enabled content...though not sure of Kingdom had any but it mentions it on the HD DVD case. Oddly enough, this shows the running time as being a minute longer then the HD DVD...

Last edited by Gizmo; 11-17-08 at 03:56 PM.