Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Question From Someone Just Getting Into HD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere. I'm slowly but surely getting into the HD game. By that I mean I have a HD reciever and one Blu-Ray disc (Blade Runner). I'm kinda anxious to get a BR player and start building my collection of discs. My question is: is it worth getting a BR player and hooking it up to a SD big screen tv? Is it even possible to hook up a BR player to a SD televison. Sorry, I know that's two questions.
Thanks.
Old 09-03-08, 07:36 PM

I believe the TV must accept HDMI, at least in cases where the Sony PS3 is used as a Blu-Ray player. Some stand-alone BR players might have RGB Component out, assuming your TV only has a Component in.
Old 09-03-08, 09:13 PM

Thanks Jamers, that makes sense. No I have a better idea what to look for in a player if I do in fact get one before getting a HDTV.
Thanks again.
Old 09-03-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Blade Runner looks fabulous in HD, btw. Good choice.
Old 09-04-08, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeneralZod
My question is: is it worth getting a BR player and hooking it up to a SD big screen tv? Is it even possible to hook up a BR player to a SD televison.
You can connect via component and set the player to downconvert to 480p or 480i, whichever your TV is capable of displaying, but honestly I'd buy an HDTV before I bought a player.

You might want to post your specific model of TV so someone can tell you for sure what kind of picture it'll display. Are there any SD sets that can display 480p?
Old 09-04-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
There are lots of SD sets that can display 480p. Most of them were made during the HDTV switch, when HDTVs were still so expensive. Some, called EDTV, have a digital tuner, while many others can display a progressive signal but only have analog inputs.

Although it doesn't really make any sense to buy a BD player for an SD/EDTV. It's like putting premium gas in a Honda Civic. Sure, it might make you feel good, but it doesn't really do anything.
Old 09-06-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I'd get an HDTV first before getting a BD player. Getting an HDTV first will give you a visible benefit via HD channels on TV, and even on upconverted DVDs.