Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

True Lies & Armageddon?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

True Lies & Armageddon?

Old 09-02-08, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Lies & Armageddon?

When the heck are we finally going to see these too titles get the treatment they deserve.True Lies,a one time FOX release with non anamorphic tranasfer and 0 extras.Armageddon on the other hand was terrific on special features with the 2-disc Criterion edition but lacked a anamorphic transfers.

I would purchase both these on BLU-RAY in a heartbeat,especially True Lies.While both movies were the top grossing movies for there years you would think we would see some re-releases of these.True Lies is my second favorite Schwarzenegger movie behind T2 and havewaited forever.I ses no news on either for future Blu-Ray release,very odd..Wish FOX and Disney would wake up and get these remastered and re-released on Blu-Ray
Old 09-02-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

But seriously, who knows.
Old 09-02-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

December 22nd 2012
Old 09-02-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts
Can't wait! (for True Lies)

Too bad we all have to
Old 09-02-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eraser is a pretty good one. You can get that on blu-ray.
Old 09-02-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even think about seeing True Lies in high def until until James Cameron's Avatar hits theaters in December 2009.
Old 09-02-08, 09:00 PM
Banned

Escape From LA is also in desperate need of an anamorphic transfer. Escape from NY has gotten 2 or 3 SD releases plus BD, but LA only got one goddamn matted release. NOT FAIR.
Old 09-02-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember reading an article with Michael Bay where he is working on new special features for the Armageddon BD so that is definitely in the pipeline. Who the heck knows about True lies though? Hell a lot of people are still waiting for a SE on dvd.

Last edited by tonymontana313; 09-02-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313 View Post
I remember reading an article with Michael Bay where he is working on new special features for the Armageddon BD so that is definitely in the pipeline. Who the heck knows about True lies though? Hell a lot of people are still waiting for a SE on dvd.
They promised us a Five Star SE of True Lies about 10 years ago. I would guess comedies of Arab terrorists with nuclear weapons are not high on the list of PC corporate america
Old 09-02-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
They promised us a Five Star SE of True Lies about 10 years ago. I would guess comedies of Arab terrorists with nuclear weapons are not high on the list of PC corporate america
I wish we would get to see it on Blu-ray or at least a new dvd release. Fox probably hates the movie now since 9/11.
Old 09-02-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chase3001 View Post
December 22nd 2012
Sweet, my 37th birthday! Now I know what to ask for!
Old 09-03-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Abyss NEEDS to be added to this short list as well! It's Blu-ray time!
Old 09-03-08, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri View Post
The Abyss NEEDS to be added to this short list as well! It's Blu-ray time!

Hell, at this point, I'd settle for anamorphic time. BD would be great though.
Old 09-03-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sick of waiting for The Abyss on Blu-ray. That is one of the titles I want more than anything and nothing has been announced yet. I'm sick of my old non-anamorphic release. I want High Definition video and audio for it and soon!
Old 09-03-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully next year is a big one for James Cameron on Blu. New issues of the first two Terminators are more than welcome, hopefully Aliens hits, and even more so we get our first taste of The Abyss and True Lies in HD, let alone 16:9.

I second the Escape from L.A. anamorphic request too. I'd grab it on SD if it was that only.
Old 09-03-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd say it seems pretty likely what with 20th Century Fox putting out Avatar in 2009 that we'll get The Abyss, Aliens, and True Lies on BD either for the theatrical or DVD release of the movie (hopefully not the latter, but that's what I'd be willing to wager, since Cameron will have to be free to look at transfers if he wants to, and/or do new PiP bonus features, or any at all for True Lies for that matter).

Hopefully when Armageddon pops up, Buena Vista will have the same deal going with Criterion that brought all of The Rock's CC extras to BD. I personally think that perhaps Buena Vista extended their deal on their titles under the condition that they loan them the bonus features for the BDs, which sounds great to me if it means Armageddon, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are going to have their complete slate of extras.
Old 09-04-08, 07:42 AM

See my user name, I want those too!
Old 09-07-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder why Fox never did release a special edition of True Lies? Even without Cameron's involvement there would be more than enough material. Given he has been so hands on with The Abyss and T2 DVDs in particular, I'm surprised he hasn't revisited this one at all.
Old 09-08-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan View Post
I wonder why Fox never did release a special edition of True Lies? Even without Cameron's involvement there would be more than enough material. Given he has been so hands on with The Abyss and T2 DVDs in particular, I'm surprised he hasn't revisited this one at all.
I have to wonder if 9/11 has anything to do with TPTB's reluctance to revisit the title, given that the movie deals with terrorists. Although, one would think that by now they'd feel it's "safe" enough.
Old 09-08-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
I have to wonder if 9/11 has anything to do with TPTB's reluctance to revisit the title, given that the movie deals with terrorists. Although, one would think that by now they'd feel it's "safe" enough.
There actually was talk of a sequel but 9/11 killed that too. Maybe they could make the sequel about white supremicists to not offend anyone (but white supremicists)
Old 09-08-08, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
I'm sick of waiting for The Abyss on Blu-ray. That is one of the titles I want more than anything and nothing has been announced yet. I'm sick of my old non-anamorphic release. I want High Definition video and audio for it and soon!
A transfer has been done and is in the queue for Cameron's approval with everything else after the two new film projects he is working on.
Old 09-10-08, 10:57 AM

"Believe it or not, we have to remaster Armageddon,” he said. “The Armageddon [master] was burned in a fire apparently, so we’ve got to re-master the whole movie.”
homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=12086