Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B&TB

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B&TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B

What exactly was on that 3rd disc in the Anthology? I still regret to this day (damn near 10 years later) not buying that set. I wanted to but chose not to because of price. Such a dumb decision.
Old 09-02-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B

Pretty much everything you'd ever want on a Fantasia DVD.

This is from the Ultimate Disney DVD Review:

Disc 3: "The Fantasia Legacy"

Once you pop the disc into the player, it beckons you to "kindly take your seat, for the performance is about to begin." And what a performance it turns out to be! The variety of material is divided into two sections: "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000". Let's start with the first.

In the Fantasia section, there is a menu selection for each segment of the movie, from "Toccata and Fugue" to "Ave Maria". Each menu choice takes you to the supplements pertaining to that particular sequence, containing portions of interviews used in the 50-minute documentaries on Disc 1 & 2, parts of the "Disneyland" TV series, extensive art galleries, texts that give background on the musical pieces themselves, and treasures like abandoned concepts and deleted animation.

An invitation for more features at the bottom of the screen takes to you a section called "The Fantasia that Never Was", which is a trove of segments Walt was working on around the initial release to incorporate into the film. While most of these are in story-reel form, there is one exception called "Clair De Lune", which is a fully animated piece and is shown in its entirety. Theatrical trailers, TV spots (which have become somewhat scarce on Disney DVDs as of late) and publicity posters are also found here.

In the Fantasia 2000 section, everything is organized in the same way. There are featurettes that expound on the 50-minute documentaries, abandoned concepts, storyboards, character and visual development galleries, notes about the music, and information on special effects. One of the most interesting is an orchestra demonstration that breaks down all the different parts of the symphony, like strings, percussion, and so on. Theatrical trailers, TV spots, and posters round out the disc.
Old 09-02-10, 09:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So who loves 3D?

According to a "knowledgeable source" quoted by Hollywoodinhidef, Walt Disney Studios is converting The Lion King to 3D with a view to a 3D Blu-ray release in the fall of 2011 (coinciding with the advertised Diamond Edition Blu-ray). Beauty and the Beast is already converted, and could also get a 3D Blu-ray release in late 2011, after a 3D theatrical re-release earlier that year.
Old 09-02-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder what hardware will get bundled with those!
Old 09-02-10, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Denon! Only $1,599!
Old 09-02-10, 10:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We'll see about Lion King, Beauty and the Beast has been delayed twice theatrically.
Old 09-02-10, 11:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

aside from the two night Fathom Event sing along, I thought that the Beauty and the Beast theatrical rerelease was to have been a IMAX only release.
Old 09-02-10, 01:04 PM

When is 3D going to die? There's absolutely 100% NO REASON to release films that were not shot for 3D in 3D! What is the purpose aside from making extra money from people who think it's going to be any different from the original film?
Old 09-02-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Monkees
When is 3D going to die? There's absolutely 100% NO REASON to release films that were not shot for 3D in 3D! What is the purpose aside from making extra money from people who think it's going to be any different from the original film?
Originally Posted by Marketing Exec
I... I can't... I just don't understand the question.
Old 09-02-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is another purpose necessary?
Old 09-04-10, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Is another purpose necessary?
As soon as I typed that I knew someone would say this
Old 09-04-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And i have news for you 3D isnt going anywhere in theatres as much money has been spent on the projectors and screens required for showing movies in 3D neither theatre exhibitors or studios are going to abandon it any time soon.
Old 09-04-10, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Or use 10% coupon for $6.75 deposit to make it sweeter. I've done it last year with the UP steelbook.
but then you just end up paying more of the difference on the day of release when you actually pick up the movie.

your only getting 10 percent off the deposit not off of the total price, your better off using the coupon on something else.
Old 09-04-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
And i have news for you 3D isnt going anywhere in theatres as much money has been spent on the projectors and screens required for showing movies in 3D neither theatre exhibitors or studios are going to abandon it any time soon.
And people keep spending money to see these movies, too.
Old 09-04-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My daughter works box office at the local theater. People yell at her when they find out the price of the 3D movies. Not sure if they really think she actually sets the prices? She doesn't people she only collects the money. They end up paying but if they get that upset, I can only assume they aren't going to run out to another 3D movie.
Old 09-04-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
My daughter works box office at the local theater. People yell at her when they find out the price of the 3D movies. Not sure if they really think she actually sets the prices? She doesn't people she only collects the money. They end up paying but if they get that upset, I can only assume they aren't going to run out to another 3D movie.
I dont think i have ever seen anyone yell at any box office attendants over the price, Does her box office have the 3D price clearly posted on the marquee? Cause the only reason i could imagine someone getting up set is if the price wasnt posted and people werent expecting it.

I have never heard or seen any one get upset at our box attendants at either the 3D premium or the Dbox premium prices at my theatre and we have had 3D for 5 years now.
(the first theatre to have Digital 3D in the country in fact.)

3D isnt going anywhere, ask your daughter if she knows how much her theatre's owners spent on upgrading the projectors (even with some studios paying a small fraction of the upgrade cost at a very limited number of theatres) and installing new screens to show 3D. It was not cheap at all a silver screen ALONE for a average size movie theatre screen runs about 30,000 dollars.

we have been screening 3D movies since the summer of 2005 when it was testing for 6 months and then began playing the first commercially released 3D films, And no one gets upset at the box office attendant because its 2 dollars more.

you will here people complain amongst themselves upon leaving occasionally if the film is poorly converted such as clash of the titans or cats and dogs but for the most part its not about the theatres price but about the rush job by the studio.

Also if most people got upset about the premium like you suggest then the 2D version of the films would account for the majority of the ticket prices.

heres a example we are showing piranha 3D in 3D and in 2D, the 3D version sold out every show time for opening weekend in a 476 seat auditorium(3rd biggest auditorium in the complex) the 2D screen didnt sell out once and quite a few times had between 20-36 people in a 178 seat auditorium.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-04-10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So who sets the prices? The theater? She represents the theater, so who else are they going to yell at? Do you think they should demand to get the phone number for somebody in the corporate office and call them instead? That's the thing with front line clerks/sales people like that...they get the brunt of complaints about the company. People generally have an understanding they can't do anything about it...they aren't stupid either...they just need to vent. If she can't handle the random customer venting, it sounds like it's time to find a new job.

And I also understand that a certain percentage of the ticket prices goes back to the studios but you can't expect me to believe the theater doesn't get some leeway in ticket prices when two different theaters have different prices on tickets for the same movie. I understand they don't make their main profits off of that, but still...it's not just the studio setting ticket prices.
Old 09-04-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Well, from here on out most of the movies in 3D will have been shot for 3D, so they should look better. (I guess except for these Disney rereleaes) Personally I'll only pay for a really good event movie in 3D - like Avatar. Sadly, I'm probably just an average movie goer now... probably see less than 10 a yr at the theater. Higher prices are definitely part of that.

We used to joke about being able to buy the movie for the price of a ticket... now that really is the case.
Old 09-04-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think i have ever seen anyone yell at any box office attendants over the price, Does her box office have the 3D price clearly posted on the marquee? Cause the only reason i could imagine someone getting up set is if the price wasnt posted and people werent expecting it.

I have never heard or seen any one get upset at our box attendants at either the 3D premium or the Dbox premium prices at my theatre and we have had 3D for 5 years now.
(the first theatre to have Digital 3D in the country in fact.)

3D isnt going anywhere, ask your daughter if she knows how much her theatre's owners spent on upgrading the projectors (even with some studios paying a small fraction of the upgrade cost at a very limited number of theatres) and installing new screens to show 3D. It was not cheap at all a silver screen ALONE for a average size movie theatre screen runs about 30,000 dollars.
Let me clarify; most of the complaints were the IMAX 3D. For whatever reason their 3D showings are in the IMAX theater so people pay a $6.75 premium for those shows. $15 instead of $9.25

Originally Posted by calhoun07
So who sets the prices? The theater? She represents the theater, so who else are they going to yell at? Do you think they should demand to get the phone number for somebody in the corporate office and call them instead? That's the thing with front line clerks/sales people like that...they get the brunt of complaints about the company. People generally have an understanding they can't do anything about it...they aren't stupid either...they just need to vent. If she can't handle the random customer venting, it sounds like it's time to find a new job.

And I also understand that a certain percentage of the ticket prices goes back to the studios but you can't expect me to believe the theater doesn't get some leeway in ticket prices when two different theaters have different prices on tickets for the same movie. I understand they don't make their main profits off of that, but still...it's not just the studio setting ticket prices.
I wouldn't hesitate to let an attendant know I was dissatisfied with anything be it a movie or something else. She's had people swear at her; F' you I'm not paying that! She asks if they would like to see the manager.

Fortunately this is just a part time job when she's not at college. It's a good life lesson though. Do well at school so you don't have to work a minimum wage job forever.
Old 09-04-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me clarify; most of the complaints were the IMAX 3D. For whatever reason their 3D showings are in the IMAX theater so people pay a $6.75 premium for those shows. $15 instead of $9.25

I wouldn't hesitate to let an attendant know I was dissatisfied with anything be it a movie or something else. She's had people swear at her; F' you I'm not paying that! She asks if they would like to see the manager.

Fortunately this is just a part time job when she's not at college. It's a good life lesson though. Do well at school so you don't have to work a minimum wage job forever.
Imax and Imax 3D and Digital Imax are entirely different beast than a regular commercial movie theatre experience in terms of pricing premium compared to 2D movies and Digital 3D movies.
secondly the premium ticket price for an Imax 3D movie (in new york since thats where it shows your from) is 19.00 compared to 17.00 a regular Imax film a premium difference of 2 bucks.

And again in the 5 years that Digtial 3D has been around in theatres i have never seen customers yell at theatre attendants over how much the ticket is when the price is clearly posted for each version of the film.

And Imax 3D prices have no bearing on Digtial 3D being accepted or fadeing away with theatre patrons.

Like it or not 3D is going to be around for a long long time, to much investment has been made on the theatre exhibiotrs end for it to go away.
And to many tickets have been sold to make it not appear to be profitable.

What will eventually happen is that once the studios get a idea for what works well in 3D and what doesnt you will see less projects that shouldnt be in 3D released in 3D and it mostly catering to films that audiences (voteing with their wallets) want to see in 3D released.
but go away never
Oh i wouldnt bag on people who work for theatres, it has a lot more potential than just being a minimum wage job. I graduated from USF and have happily been working in the theatre exhibition industry (first in florida and now in Hollywood Ca) since the mid 90s and I havent made minimum wage since my first year working for a theatre, there are plenty of well paying career opportunities for college graduates to achieve in theatre exhibition beyond being in box office, ushering, or manageing that earn a heck of alot more money than minimum wage, if you put in the work and effort just like in any career.

now then can we get back to the subject at hand disney blurays for the remainder of 2010

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-04-10 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 03:00 PM

according to the latest issue of Home Theater and their review of 'Beauty and the Beast' - there are only two cuts of the film, the original theatrical and the expanded version, the work in progress version is not included (unless it's an easter egg) - odd, the Disney Movie Rewards coupon denotes there are three versions on the new bluray/dvd release.
Old 09-10-10, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
according to the latest issue of Home Theater and their review of 'Beauty and the Beast' - there are only two cuts of the film, the original theatrical and the expanded version, the work in progress version is not included (unless it's an easter egg) - odd, the Disney Movie Rewards coupon denotes there are three versions on the new bluray/dvd release.
DVD, Blu Ray in DVD Packaging, Blu Ray in Blu Ray packaging?
Old 09-11-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles

I will find out for sure on October 2nd (0f course thats only 3 days before its in stores but still lol) when thanks to my friend i get to attend the Beauty and the Beast Bluray/DVD premiere at El Capitan.
crossing my fingers they will be giving out a goody bag with the movie in it like they did last year for snow whites release and earlier with Pinnochios release.

Iam pretty sure postive the work print will be on there as its being advertised as including 3 versions of the film same as the original dvd. the only thing is they might be includeing it the way they included the work print of princess and the frog as a pip feature. (hopefully not) But its most likely there.
Old 09-11-10, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Isny
DVD, Blu Ray in DVD Packaging, Blu Ray in Blu Ray packaging?
the coupon features the Bluray combo pack with the bluray packaging. Maybe the work in progress version is only on the DVD edition (?)
Old 09-22-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are two reviews out there that I've seen for the "Beauty And The Beast" Blu-ray so far. WOW. It looks better than I ever could have imagined, and those are just screenshots. The reviewers gave it glowing, near-perfect or perfect marks in every category. Well done, Disney.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.