Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman Returns BLU-RAY Re-release 9/9/08 (With TrueHD and PCM Audio)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Superman Returns BLU-RAY Re-release 9/9/08 (With TrueHD and PCM Audio)

Old 09-15-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope this comes out tomorrow. Some on blu-ray.com are getting shipping notices from the WB store. However, DVD Empire has now changed their listing to a "pre announce" title with no new date.
Old 09-15-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Wow! The deleted scenes are now in HD? That alone is reason enough to pick up this disc. Thanks for the info.
Not so fast...
Sorry to burst your balloon, but people on other forums who have managed to pick this one up have reported that Warner did NOT, repeat, NOT upgrade the deleted scenes to HD....they are still in standard def....

It still makes no sense to me why they put them in HD on the HD DVD but not even now on this re-released Blu-ray....it's not like they didn't now have the space with a dual layer 50GB disc!
Old 09-16-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Not so fast...
Sorry to burst your balloon, but people on other forums who have managed to pick this one up have reported that Warner did NOT, repeat, NOT upgrade the deleted scenes to HD....they are still in standard def....

It still makes no sense to me why they put them in HD on the HD DVD but not even now on this re-released Blu-ray....it's not like they didn't now have the space with a dual layer 50GB disc!
Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll just wait for the super-special edition Blu-ray, which should have the deleted "Return To Krypton" scene in it. Maybe.
Old 09-16-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My order with CD Universe has gone to "shipping" status. Hopefully I do get the correct version sent, which should be by the end of the week. They are backordered now.
Old 09-18-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received my order today from CD Universe:

Old 09-27-08, 08:09 PM

Does anyone know if they improved the video on this new version?
According to "The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray " this movie is ranked as lower tier Bronze. Not exactly great for a movie released in 2006.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
Old 09-27-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
According to "The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray " this movie is ranked as lower tier Bronze. Not exactly great for a movie released in 2006.

I'm pretty sure the PQ hasn't been touched. I upgraded just for the soundtrack. And for what it's worth, I'm very very pleased with the image. I'd give it a 4.5/5
Old 09-27-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers

I'm not sure I'd give that AVS ranking much credence. For example, the BD for Sky Captain, despite having no transfer or compression problems, is ranked as Bronze because of the intentional softness of the original image.

So the rankings aren't about "does this BD accurately convey the image seen in theaters," but rather "does this BD have a cool, 3D-looking image."
Old 12-30-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Hi all,

I got the Dolby Digital 5.1 version of this movie for Christmas.

My 5.1 receiver only has optical and coaxial inputs for audio so I'm guessing I wouldn't benefit from the TrueHD or PCM 5.1 version. I probably won't be upgrading my receiver anytime in the next couple of years.

I was considering exchanging my disc for the better version in case I do upgrade the receiver for whatever reason, but I wondered if a re-release of this movie is inevitable. I know there are additional scenes that have yet to surface on any format so I am guessing another version is coming down the line.

In a nutshell, should I exchange my DD Blu-ray for the TrueHD/PCM one or just enjoy the DD one I have now and wait for a re-release? I don't have a receipt for it so I'd be taking a chance anyway at Best Buy.
Old 12-30-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if there's even plans for a re-release of this considering the franchise is stuck in redevelopment/reboot hell right now and this is not exactly their favorite film at WB. There's always the hope that they'll release a version with the alternate Krypton opening but I don't see that happening 'til way, way, waaaaay down the line.
Old 12-30-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does Best Buy carry the TrueHD version? I cant find on amazon.
Old 12-30-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Does Best Buy carry the TrueHD version? I cant find on amazon.
Someone on blu-ray.com spotted a copy in a BB store, so maybe they are trickling out into stores now. CD Universe does have it. That's where I got mine. It's a little pricey, but worth it, imo.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...45&style=movie
Old 12-30-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got it on HD-DVD for around $6 so I don't see any reason to upgrade. This is a great movie though.
Old 01-01-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
My patience finally paid off: I found the Dolby TrueHD version at my local Best Buy a couple of days ago. They had only one copy and they had put the wrong price sticker on it. It rang up at $29.99, but they sold it to me for $14.99 because of the sticker.
Old 01-01-09, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
My patience finally paid off: I found the Dolby TrueHD version at my local Best Buy a couple of days ago. They had only one copy and they had put the wrong price sticker on it. It rang up at $29.99, but they sold it to me for $14.99 because of the sticker.
You are one lucky man. I want the version with better sound. That airplane sequence is a great scene to show off your system as is, but it would be awesome with the version you have.

Old 01-12-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Superman Returns BLU-RAY Re-release 9/9/08 (With TrueHD and PCM Audio)

I spotted 1 copy of the TrueHD version today at a local Best Buy. Looks like these are finally trickling into retail stores.