Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman Returns BLU-RAY Re-release 9/9/08 (With TrueHD and PCM Audio)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Superman Returns BLU-RAY Re-release 9/9/08 (With TrueHD and PCM Audio)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
A good start would be killing off Kate Bosworth.
That would pique my interest almost immediately.
Old 08-24-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think he means that they are gonna make Superman dark like TDK. I think they just mean that they will start being more true to the comic books (which were a bit darker).

Since DC is involved, Im not concerned. I really like Superman Returns and I think they can do an appropriate sequel while changing directions.

We'll see.

That said, im looking forward to this release and will buy it for sure.
Old 08-25-08, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I think I'll wait for an eventual re-release whenever the next Superman movie comes out... hopefully we'll get an extended edition, new transfer, etc.
Old 08-25-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool news. Will definitely pick this up even though I already have the HD-DVD. Superman Returns is one of my favorite films of recent years.
Old 08-29-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Empire has the new version up for preorder. Unfortunately, it's $27 and change. I wish Amazon would hurry up and add it.
Old 08-30-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just got my copy from DVDCraze in Australia - $23 shipped. The disc itself is identical to the Pioneer exclusive disc - has the same product code on it. Of course I ordered before the 9/9 announcement, but I guess I can live with the different case than the US version.
Old 09-02-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
"In an early announcement to retailers, Warner Home Video has revealed that they will re-release the Bryan Singer film 'Superman Returns' on September 9th with Dolby TrueHD and PCM soundtracks."
What's the point to having both types of lossless soundtracks? Are the devices that can decode TrueHD but not PCM? Or is the TrueHD track at a higher sample-rate?
Old 09-02-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
What's the point to having both types of lossless soundtracks? Are the devices that can decode TrueHD but not PCM? Or is the TrueHD track at a higher sample-rate?
There was likely enough room to have both tracks. Also, having the PCM audio allows for owners without a player that can decode TrueHD, to hear the lossless audio. The Panasonic DMP-BD30 can't decode TrueHD audio, but you can use the 5.1 analog outs to hear the PCM track.
Old 09-02-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Also, having the PCM audio allows for owners without a player that can decode TrueHD, to hear the lossless audio. The Panasonic DMP-BD30 can't decode TrueHD audio, but you can use the 5.1 analog outs to hear the PCM track.
True.

Pro-B
Old 09-03-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was likely enough room to have both tracks.
"Enough room" is a subjective determination though. If they hadn't included the TrueHD track, they could've bumped up the video rate on the movie a bit (even if it didn't necessarily need it), or made another extra HD, or added another extra to the disc, even if it was a movie trailer.

Also, having the PCM audio allows for owners without a player that can decode TrueHD, to hear the lossless audio.
I understand that completely; PCM is part of the BD standard, while TrueHD and DTS-HD MA aren't, which is why many earlier discs came with PCM tracks.

What I'm wondering is, if everything supports PCM and it's included on the disc, what's the point of including the TrueHD track?
Old 09-03-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to keep in mind, this disc was created when WB was a dual supporter. All of their BD releases were direct ports of the HD DVD, which is why the bit rates on the BD were in the same range as the HD DVD. Same identical VC-1 encode. When the disc originally appeared in Nov. 2006, they were heavily favoring HD DVD and left off the TrueHD audio on the BD version, just like they did with other titles. They just recently a few months ago began boosting the bit rate on their BD only releases. It takes time to make changes in the pipeline. Titles are planned months in advance.

I believe Pioneer was the one who insisted WB go back and add lossless to the BD as they had the deal worked out to include SR in one of their players. So I'm guessing Pioneer paid for the new encode. I believe this occured in Q3 of 2007, which was still when WB was a dual supporter. Just adding lossless audio would then even things out for both formats. I'm guessing they didn't want to anger anyone by adding exclusive features to the newly encoded BD or they just didn't care. They decided to do that in January '08.

As long as it doesn't affect the video, I see no reason why you don't include multiple lossless audio tracks. No harm in giving the customer multiple options. Even though lossless = lossless, the mindset of some people may cause them to want PCM over TrueHD or vice versa. My human ears prefer DTS HD MA, like many others do.

Either way, both tracks should sound incredible. As I've mentioned before, Superman Returns has one of the best lossless audio tracks to date. The airplane rescue sequence would be high up on my audio demo list.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 09-03-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to keep in mind, this disc was created when WB was a dual supporter. All of their BD releases were direct ports of the HD DVD, which is why the bit rates on the BD were in the same range as the HD DVD. Same identical VC-1 encode.
I understand why they may have used the same video encode. However, that doesn't explain why they included two lossless tracks. The "free space" could've been used for other extras. For example, this newer disc includes the deleted scenes in HD, which the original BD had in SD. They could've upgraded some of the other extras to HD instead of including another lossless track.

As long as it doesn't affect the video, I see no reason why you don't include multiple lossless audio tracks. No harm in giving the customer multiple options. Even though lossless = lossless, the mindset of some people may cause them to want PCM over TrueHD or vice versa. My human ears prefer DTS HD MA, like many others do.
This may explain it. If they had just included PCM, people may have bitched about the lack of the TrueHD track the HD DVD had, even though the tracks are likely identical.
Old 09-09-08, 11:17 AM

There are 2 Superman Returns Blu-Rays on the Warner Home Video site. How do I know which one is the re-release with the Trude HD audio track?
Old 09-09-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jamers
There are 2 Superman Returns Blu-Rays on the Warner Home Video site. How do I know which one is the re-release with the Trude HD audio track?
I wouldn't take this as definitive proof, but clicking on the info links for both listings, one has a ID of 48*** in the address window and one has 50***. I would guess the higher number is the newer listing - it's also $2 cheaper which would kind of make sense.
Old 09-09-08, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
The "TRUEHD AUDIO" in parenthesis might be a sure tip-off.
Old 09-09-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think any online retailers received the new disc. DVD Empire shows a new date of 9/16.
Old 09-09-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
The "TRUEHD AUDIO" in parenthesis might be a sure tip-off.
You know, I looked at every line of the description and specs, but ignored the BIG BOLD ones.

At least my supposition was correct.
Old 09-09-08, 01:43 PM

Me too. :-) Found it now. Thanks.
Old 09-13-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Can someone please point me to the TRUEHD AUDIO BD over on Amazon.com? Can't find it anywhere.
Old 09-13-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think they're talking about the Warner Home Video store.
Old 09-14-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
I think they're talking about the Warner Home Video store.

Thanks. But does anyone know where I can find the TRUEHD Audio copy on Amazon? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Thanks. But does anyone know where I can find the TRUEHD Audio copy on Amazon? Thanks in advance.
Amazon doesn't have a listing for it yet. Searching via the UPC for the BD, 085391177913 , reveals no hits.

DVDPricesearch also doesn't have a listing for it yet.

DVD Empire has a listing:
http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1423254

I'm thinking most retailers don't realize that this is a separate release from what they already carry, and haven't created listings for it or ordered it.
Old 09-15-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
For example, this newer disc includes the deleted scenes in HD, which the original BD had in SD. They could've upgraded some of the other extras to HD instead of including another lossless track.

This may explain it. If they had just included PCM, people may have bitched about the lack of the TrueHD track the HD DVD had, even though the tracks are likely identical.
Wow! The deleted scenes are now in HD? That alone is reason enough to pick up this disc. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-08, 11:36 AM

Amazon doesn't have a listing for it yet. Searching via the UPC for the BD, 085391177913 , reveals no hits.
Amazon did have it up once before - it was up for almost a week before they completely removed it. I had it pre-ordered, but ended up cancelling it since I lost confidence after the listing removal.
Old 09-15-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CD Universe shows the new version in stock, so it appears it is finally releasing tomorrow. Hopefully my DVD Empire order starts to process soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.