Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Dark Knight" Blu-ray (Dec. 9th)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"The Dark Knight" Blu-ray (Dec. 9th)

Old 12-28-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I feel a "Super Explosive Edition" coming to a store near you sometime in 2009.
That's the tactic of a lot of studios, but not typically Warner Bros. Witness "Batman Begins." If there is a double dip, it's years away.
Old 12-28-08, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's the tactic of a lot of studios, but not typically Warner Bros. Witness "Batman Begins." If there is a double dip, it's years away.
You sure about that? They already double dipped on I am Legend, Full Metal Jacket, and the 300 double dip should be out next year as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a double dip within the next couple of years with a new transfer and "just recently done" special features.
Old 12-28-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Moopher
Well...i'm not sure what the etiquette is around here on something like this... but on there's an easter egg on the BD version, i've only done it with my ps3 with help from a friend.

Insert Disc 2 > Trailers and More > Trailer 3 > Pause just as the green rating screen shows up and type in 56537, it should do the rest.

I thought it was pretty cool.
Damn! Why make it so difficult and obscure to find eggs like this? It's like finding a virgin in a whorehouse.
Old 12-28-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Well...i'm not sure what the etiquette is around here on something like this... but on there's an easter egg on the BD version, i've only done it with my ps3 with help from a friend.

Insert Disc 2 > Trailers and More > Trailer 3 > Pause just as the green rating screen shows up and type in 56537, it should do the rest.

What is it?
Old 12-28-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
What is it?
Just did it. It gives you access to a pristine transfer of the film.

It actually opens up a trailer that is "tampered with by the Joker". Kinda cool.
Old 12-28-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah, cool. I was wondering if we'd see that trailer.
Old 12-28-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Unless WB is desperate for money. Which they are. Never know what could come around the corner in 2009.
Old 12-28-08, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
WB is so desperate for money that they pushed one of their tentpole holidays films forward by a year because they made much more money than expected with The Dark Knight.
Old 12-28-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

What's the significance of 56537? That can't be just a random number, that would make it impossible to find (although I guess you did ).
Old 12-28-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
WB is so desperate for money that they pushed one of their tentpole holidays films forward by a year because they made much more money than expected with The Dark Knight.
I remember reading industry discussion that WB really didn't have any big releases for July and August. Looking at the schedule it made sense to move Potter to July.
Old 12-28-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts
They would be better served to crank the last 3 Potter films out and release them about 6-7 months apart from each other. They need to get the dollars while the getting is good and the majority of the fans care. The actors are growing older as well as the majority of the fans that care.
Old 12-29-08, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
What's the significance of 56537? That can't be just a random number, that would make it impossible to find (although I guess you did ).
Haha I wish I could take credit, but a buddy of mine came over and showed me it... I don't know how he found out however. I'll have to get back to you on that one.
Old 12-29-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It spells out the word JOKER on a standard phone.
Old 12-29-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
Are you talking about Harry Potter? They bumped that in April, three months before they saw a penny on The Dark Knight.
Old 12-29-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you talking about Harry Potter? They bumped that in April, three months before they saw a penny on The Dark Knight.
I believe the reason they gave was because they didn't have a Summer '09 blockbuster film.
Old 12-29-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No, they didn't move the film until August 14, which was well after TDK had made them piles upon piles of cash.....
Don't you remember how Entertainment Weekly even had Harry Potter on the cover of their "fall movie preview" issue basically the same week WB came out and announced the date change from November to July '09? It was hilarious considering they are even owned by the same company (of course, no one told EW until after the article was completed and the magazine was on the shelf...)
Old 12-29-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 215 Posts
And didn't a few other studios follow suit? Otherwise, a number of us would be talking about Star Trek right now.
Old 12-30-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
So, have there finally been any reviews released that compare the A/V quality of the US BD to BD releases in other countries of this movie? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm hoping for a Pan's Labyrinth scenario.
Old 12-31-08, 11:29 PM

This is the first time I had to closely look at my disc to make sure that they didnt sneak in a SDVD in my Blu Ray case. The IMAX transfer is pretty good but the rest of the movie is just a slight step up from standard definition. My sisters were convinced that this wasnt a blu ray movie and kept asking me why it didnt look clear like the "Mad Men" series. I loved the movie so much that I didnt notice it towards the middle of the movie. At times there are Blu Ray movies that look significantly better on my 1080p LCD over my 720p but this was one of those movies that really didnt look that great on either. I checked my calibrations on both tv's several times but the movie still looked dull. I have a feeling they rushed through the transfer of the film or something.

By the way....Ledger deserves the Academy Award and it has nothing to do with the sympaty of his untimely death.
Old 01-02-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I feel a bit better about the state of my BD setup after reading a few posts - count me among the surprised that this transfer isn't any better than it is.

Just a quick question about what you guys are seeing: in addition to a bit of softness and the occasionally obvious EE in the 'scope portions, are you seeing "shimmering" effects on complex textures and geometric patterns on clothes/buildings, etc? I ask because I also rented the "Event Horizon" BD this week and noticed several similar effects there, and became concerned that somethings wrong with my equipment.
Old 01-02-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Ok, I feel a bit better about the state of my BD setup after reading a few posts - count me among the surprised that this transfer isn't any better than it is.

Just a quick question about what you guys are seeing: in addition to a bit of softness and the occasionally obvious EE in the 'scope portions, are you seeing "shimmering" effects on complex textures and geometric patterns on clothes/buildings, etc? I ask because I also rented the "Event Horizon" BD this week and noticed several similar effects there, and became concerned that somethings wrong with my equipment.
Do you have a 120Hz display with some kind of "motion enhancement" turned on? Some people with that set up have reported similar artifacts and have seen them go away when they turn off motion enhancement (something I would recommend doing anyway).

For what it's worth, there was no moire or shimmering in the Dark Knight for me on my 1080p (60Hz) projector.
Old 06-08-12, 07:01 PM

Re: "The Dark Knight" Blu-ray (Dec. 9th)

I had to post this.

I hope Xage is jealous. Just saying.
Old 06-08-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ What's that one bottom row, center?
Old 06-08-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
^ What's that one bottom row, center?
Looks like a two-pack of BB and TDK in a steelbook cover.
Old 06-08-12, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Xage?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.