Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Dark Knight" Blu-ray (Dec. 9th)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

"The Dark Knight" Blu-ray (Dec. 9th)

Old 12-19-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it. When I got bored of the chat, which didn't happen all that much, I just watched the movie so that of course kept me entertained, heh. I love this concept, and I hope to see more like it, as well to see it evolve.

This is just another one of those little things that BD offers over DVD.

I laughed when Nolan paused the movie right at the end when Batman fell to take a piss break, saying he was sorry but this was a two-pee movie, and next time he'll have to make a shorter film.

So is this the sort of thing that a bunch of us could get together one night and do? Set up a screening of a film, watch it at the same time, and chat about it as it's playing?

Last edited by Brent L; 12-19-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pretty underwhelmed... I was expecting at least a streaming audio commentary (to be honest, I thought it would have video as well) so the fact this was just a text chat that happened to be sort of scene specific part of the time was a huge letdown - especially since I told my family about this 'great awesome new blu-ray EVENT' and then I logged on and of course, got the small text bubble and that was it... Cool idea but they need to work out the kinks and find a way to get some audio going - I'd rather just read a transcript after the fact (and I'm pretty sure they probably didn't ask my general filmmaking questions since they were not very 'scene specific' which seemed like the ones they used).
Old 12-19-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brent L

So is this the sort of thing that a bunch of us could get together one night and do? Set up a screening of a film, watch it at the same time, and chat about it as it's playing?
I think so. I'm not sure... but if it is that might actually be more fun to do with a bunch of DVDTalkers than the event last night was.
Old 12-19-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Idea but everything about last night was a disappointment. The questions were generic and the answers were boring for the most part. I didn't expect video, but I thought audio was a given for this.

What was the Hellboy 2 event like? I didn't even know that it happened.
Old 12-19-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts
I thought it was interesting enough; I checked in and out a few times. And even though I had read the instructions, I couldn't figure out intuitively that it was Express Yourself > Live Community Screening. And it definitely looked like the BD picture to me.
Old 12-19-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought it was interesting enough; I checked in and out a few times. And even though I had read the instructions, I couldn't figure out intuitively that it was Express Yourself > Live Community Screening. And it definitely looked like the BD picture to me.
Yeah, I had the same issue.

I know a question about edge enhancement got through, but I missed his response. Anyone catch it?

And this screams out for a transcript! There was so much crap asked that I know I missed some of the information that was actually good.

I think the worst question I saw asked: Are you a fan of Star Wars? Uh, really. Of all the possible questions, THAT'S the one you choose?!
Old 12-19-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yeah, I had the same issue.

I know a question about edge enhancement got through, but I missed his response. Anyone catch it?

And this screams out for a transcript! There was so much crap asked that I know I missed some of the information that was actually good.

I think the worst question I saw asked: Are you a fan of Star Wars? Uh, really. Of all the possible questions, THAT'S the one you choose?!
I missed most of the EE response too but I think he said something about "myths" in a dismissive way.

It's lame, but also possible that the person submitted a bunch of questions and thought that SW might make it through because it was different.
Old 12-19-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I was actually paying attention to the question about EE, DNR.

It was something like What are your thoughts on post-production filtering, edge enhancement, noise reduction, etc.?

His answer was that he strives for the most pristine and true transfer in any format. He then said he has read a lot of misinformation about video transfer.

So, basically a dodge but what was he going to say?
Old 12-19-08, 11:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did anyone catch his answer to the question about Digital IMAX? I missed it. Also I don't think any of my questions went through, although there were a few points where the connection dropped on my end.
Old 12-19-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's no surprise that last week was a new BD record for sales thanks to TDK.

Old 12-19-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Willh51
I was actually paying attention to the question about EE, DNR.

It was something like What are your thoughts on post-production filtering, edge enhancement, noise reduction, etc.?

His answer was that he strives for the most pristine and true transfer in any format. He then said he has read a lot of misinformation about video transfer.

So, basically a dodge but what was he going to say?
"Misinformation," that was it

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Did anyone catch his answer to the question about Digital IMAX? I missed it. Also I don't think any of my questions went through, although there were a few points where the connection dropped on my end.
There was one question to which he answered that he wouldn't have been able to shoot the whole film in IMAX, and that one scene he wished he had done was the early garage fight.
Old 12-19-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
It's no surprise that last week was a new BD record for sales thanks to TDK.
Because of the really nasty turn the pricing threads always seem to take, I'd like to keep those from dominating other threads too.
Old 12-19-08, 12:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
"Misinformation," that was it

There was one question to which he answered that he wouldn't have been able to shoot the whole film in IMAX, and that one scene he wished he had done was the early garage fight.
That was a separate question askng if there were any sequences he regretted not doing in IMAX. But towards the end there was a question asking how he felt about digital IMAX replacing 70mm IMAX in some theaters.
Old 12-19-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 259 Posts
My favorite Q & A of the night:

Q: Would you consider yourself your own worst critic?

Nolan: No, that job belongs to Rex Reed.

Old 12-19-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got a chuckle out of the Anthony Michael Hall question as well
Old 12-19-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I found this question hilarious:

Q: Is this live?

A: Yes.
Old 12-19-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Chat was rather meh.
Old 12-19-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I think so. I'm not sure... but if it is that might actually be more fun to do with a bunch of DVDTalkers than the event last night was.
I believe the answer is yes, just as long as the disc has that capability. Anyone willing to host or be part of a group of DVDTalkers that watch a flick together like that? I wonder if you get the same kind of functionality or if you can have audio commentary.

BTW, I immediately noticed that the audio was DD 5.1, but on my PS3 I was able to change it to Dolby TrueHD via the menu.

I was on yesterday for the whole run and I thought it was interesting. I would not suggest it for someone that hadn't seen the movie, though. The only thing I would have changed was the position of the text - I would have put it on the bottom of the screen like a subtitle. It can only get better, right?
Old 12-24-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 243 Posts
I finally got around to watching this BD last night. I must not be sensitive to EE because I thought the transfer looked solid with no noticeable issues on my 80-inch 1080p front projection home theater. The IMAX shots looked particularly stunning.

I also finally took the Target-exclusive Mask case out of the box after thinking about returning it and I have to say, I'm glad I decided to keep it because it is KILLER.
Old 12-25-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has the transcript been released yet?
Old 12-25-08, 05:20 PM

Just this semi-complete one that was done by someone with way too much time on his hands.
Old 12-25-08, 05:21 PM

Watched it, loved the movie.. one bummer though was how you go about creating the commentary. I was hoping for a PS3 eye integration type deal instead of having to get on the computer and watch it online.
Old 12-26-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Received this one as gift and just watched it.

For a Blu-Ray disc, it was very sparse on the extra features. I was hoping to see some type of 3-hour Featurette, Interviews with the Cast, Make-up sessions/tests with Ledger and Eckhart, Screen tests, DELETED SCENES, etc.

All we get are some mini-featurettes on disc one and recycled history channel specials on disc two.

I feel a "Super Explosive Edition" coming to a store near you sometime in 2009.

Fuck you Warner Bros.
Old 12-27-08, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
I find this interesting: "Christian Bale did all the fighting scenes in this film because of increased mobility in new Batsuit." That's certainly not true as you can clearly see Buster Reeves doing all the fighting during Batman's intro in the parking lot. He even get's a brightly lit closeup during that sequence.
Old 12-28-08, 02:59 AM

Well...i'm not sure what the etiquette is around here on something like this... but on there's an easter egg on the BD version, i've only done it with my ps3 with help from a friend.

Insert Disc 2 > Trailers and More > Trailer 3 > Pause just as the green rating screen shows up and type in 56537, it should do the rest.

I thought it was pretty cool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.