Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Band of Brothers Blu-ray on 11/11/08

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Band of Brothers Blu-ray on 11/11/08

Old 11-16-08, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
...ok.
Old 11-16-08, 06:18 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Dolby Noise Reduction?

Seriously though, what is DNR (and what does it stand for)? I see it mentioned but being a noob to BD, I haven't seen any good explanations.
Take anything you read at AVS about DNR with a large grain of salt.
Old 11-16-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got my copy a few days ago from Amazon. Appears that the tin is in fine shape, but I haven't gone over it with a magnifying glass or anything. Checked out part of the first episode, and it looks and sounds great. I'm sort of hoping to get a crappy weather day here soon, which happens often, then attempt to watch the whole thing in a day.
Old 11-16-08, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jim
Take anything you read at AVS about DNR with a large grain of salt.
Of course screen caps don't lie, especially when its a timestamp showing the exact frame on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray. Whether or not you don't believe there is DNR/EE applied to the release (and to be fair its probably not noticable to the majority of people) does not mean it does not exist.
Old 11-16-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having now watched Curahee, I am very sad that I sold my HD DVD set when this was announced. The difference in motion is very apparent to me, especially when the grain looks like (as best as I can describe) watercolor blobs. That's not to say I am unhappy with the BD set, I'd have purchased it for the new PiP commentaries alone, but I'd certainly have popped in the HD's if I just wanted to watch the episodes .
Old 11-16-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Of course the irony is if we had seen a domestic HD DVD release of this it would likely have been just as DNR'd. The only saving grace of the imports is I don't think they were done by WB.

This is not as format problem - it's a studio problem.
Old 11-16-08, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Of course the irony is if we had seen a domestic HD DVD release of this it would likely have been just as DNR'd. The only saving grace of the imports is I don't think they were done by WB.

Yeah, you are probably spot on with that in regards to Warner. Several Some Universal titles had DNR applied to them even though they were previously available on HD DVD...but that may be because they encoded them differently (or losing 5GB of space) for Blu-ray.
Old 11-16-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
very true, very true.
Old 11-16-08, 09:12 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Of course screen caps don't lie, especially when its a timestamp showing the exact frame on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray.
They don't necessarily tell the whole truth either. Sure, there are extreme examples like Patton or The Longest Day, but there is also an hysteria at AVS that is way out of proportion to what you see when you're actually watching the movie.
Old 11-19-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks like this got hit with the DNR stick:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1085043
Crap

Any news about the European release? Did they also use DNR?
Old 11-19-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
I'm definitely not going to go into a tizzy about any of this. I would have to stare at those screencaps to find any real difference between them. And after watching a good portion of the episodes DNR didn't even come to mind. I definitely do not believe that this title should be overlooked on Blu-Ray. I think that some people get a little too crazy about the whole DNR thing.
Old 11-19-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wal Mart has this for $69.96.
Old 11-19-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Wal Mart has this for $69.96.
You can get it right now from Deepdiscount for around 42 dollars after the 25% off. Better hurry!!!
Old 11-19-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm definitely not going to go into a tizzy about any of this. I would have to stare at those screencaps to find any real difference between them. And after watching a good portion of the episodes DNR didn't even come to mind. I definitely do not believe that this title should be overlooked on Blu-Ray. I think that some people get a little too crazy about the whole DNR thing.

This is one of the best looking DVD's I have. The detail is stunning. I don't regret my purchase one bit.
Old 11-19-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You can get it right now from Deepdiscount for around 42 dollars after the 25% off. Better hurry!!!
You're a funny guy!

But seriously, yes I wanted this in HD as well. Got it for $41.14 at DD. Whenever I get it, I'll post my impressions.

I somewhat agree. From the screencaps on AVS, it's not too bad. And at 24/30fps, is it really noticeable that much. Guess I'll have to find out for myself. If anything, my preliminary observations are this is DNR done very slightly, with an apparent attention to retain some grain, but to remove just a tad of it. Might not be so bad in the end.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-19-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not many reviews available for this yet? Just see the DVDTown one from a quick search.
Old 11-20-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You're a funny guy!

But seriously, yes I wanted this in HD as well. Got it for $41.14 at DD. Whenever I get it, I'll post my impressions.

I somewhat agree. From the screencaps on AVS, it's not too bad. And at 24/30fps, is it really noticeable that much. Guess I'll have to find out for myself. If anything, my preliminary observations are this is DNR done very slightly, with an apparent attention to retain some grain, but to remove just a tad of it. Might not be so bad in the end.
Watched episodes 7 & 8 last night and noticed quite a bit of film grain. I think this was done well.
Old 11-20-08, 04:10 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far I've watched the first 3 episodes with the PIP commentary. Having had this series for 6 years now, it's a great new way to watch it. The audio was always great with this series, but the lossless audio on this set ratchets it up a notch.
Old 11-20-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Watched episodes 7 & 8 last night and noticed quite a bit of film grain. I think this was done well.
Cool.
Old 11-23-08, 12:25 AM

So I went to watch disc two tonight, and I put it in and it shows up on the ps3 as disc three, my first thought was wtf that is an odd bug, then I thought wait did I grab the wrong disc. I check the box and I have no disc two and two disc fours!!! Has anyone else had this? I bought it on deepdiscount, but I would really rather not go through the trouble of returning it to them. Do you guys think that best buy or circuit city would give me a lot of grief to return it there?
Old 11-23-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd try Circuit City first. They have nothing to lose. Best Buy might let you do it, but they only let you do exchanges with receipt. So, ymmv.
Old 11-23-08, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'd try Circuit City first. They have nothing to lose. Best Buy might let you do it, but they only let you do exchanges with receipt. So, ymmv.
Best Buy did the exchange without any problems
Old 11-23-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got through the last 2 episodes and the documentary. Can't watch that without getting choked up. The part near the end when the soldiers' kids are talking about their fathers; Shify's son and daughter, then Joe Toye's son and Tipper's daughter. My wife wasn't even watching and she was getting choked up just listening in the background.
Old 12-01-08, 09:19 PM

Blu-ray $45 on amazon right now

Just wanted to let everybody know that Band of Brothers on Blu Ray is $45 at Amazon right now!!

Happy shopping!
Old 12-02-08, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up, great price! I was able to get it for $41 at deepdiscount.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.