Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nobody want Blu-ray but it's outpacing DVD adoption

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-08-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/N...91814-581.html
Consumers do not want Blu-ray, says a research firm. A consumer survey done by ABI Research revealed that over half of the 1000 respondents had 'other priorities,' to buying a Blu-ray player, saying that they had no plans to purchase one; a further 23% are likely to buy, but not until sometime in 2009. ABI Research principal analyst Steve Wilson said that there wasn't much value proposition seen in a Blu-ray player or in content "Consumers were happy to embrace standard DVD when that format arrived because the improvement in quality over VHS videotapes was dramatic. Standard DVD didn't require the purchase of a new TV either. In contrast, while half of the respondents to our survey rated Blu-ray's quality as 'much better' than standard DVD, another 40% termed it only 'somewhat better,' and most are very satisfied with the performance of their current DVD players." Another reason cited was that a Blu-ray investment also dictates an HDTV purchase, something consumers are reluctant to do.

ABI Research suggests that the bright spot for Blu-ray is the Sony PlayStation 3 gaming console -- that the installed base for Blu-ray players continues to climb with increasing sales of the PS3. "While you might think gamers purchase fewer movie discs that others, we didn't see any significant evidence of that in our results," says Wilson. "PS3 console shipments will go a long way to help bring down manufacturing costs and drive down Blu-ray player prices."
Incidentally, a study done in the month of June [PDF attachment] this year showed that Blu-ray adoption had outpaced DVD adoption, due largely to the rate at which PS3 consoles were selling.

Blu-ray has won the hi-definition war against HD-DVD, it remains to be seen whether it can now win the hearts of consumers everywhere.
http://www.abiresearch.com/press/120...ayer+Purchases
Blu-ray players are not flying off retailers’ shelves, at least not in the numbers the industry might hope for. A new consumer survey from ABI Research has revealed a widespread reluctance to commit to a Blu-ray player in the near future: over half of the 1000 respondents, citing “other priorities,” say they have no plans to purchase one; a further 23% are likely to buy, but not until sometime in 2009.

ABI Research principal analyst Steve Wilson says that much of the lukewarm response can be attributed to consumers’ perceptions about the value proposition that Blu-ray delivers. “Consumers were happy to embrace standard DVD when that format arrived because the improvement in quality over VHS videotapes was dramatic. Standard DVD didn’t require the purchase of a new TV either. In contrast, while half of the respondents to our survey rated Blu-ray’s quality as ‘much better’ than standard DVD, another 40% termed it only ‘somewhat better,’ and most are very satisfied with the performance of their current DVD players.”

High Blu-ray player prices and the need for an accompanying high-definition television were also leading barriers to wider adoption, the survey showed. “We expect that player prices will remain above $300 for Tier One models for the remainder of this year,” says Wilson. Look for disc bundling to become the buyers’ incentive.

There is a bright spot, however: Sony’s Blu-ray-enabled PlayStation 3 game console is rapidly becoming a favorite for hard-core gamers and so the installed base of sockets for Blu-ray discs continues to climb. “While you might think gamers purchase fewer movie discs that others, we didn’t see any significant evidence of that in our results,” says Wilson. “PS3 console shipments will go a long way to help bring down manufacturing costs and drive down Blu-ray player prices.”

The new ABI Research Brief “Blu-ray: Consumer Survey Results” indicates how many consumers plan to purchase a BD player in the next 12 and 24 months, as well as how many have no plans to buy one. It also examines the reasons why consumers are holding back from making this purchase.

It forms part of the firm’s Consumer Video Technologies Research Service.

ABI Research is a leading market research firm focused on the impact of emerging technologies on global consumer and business markets. Utilizing a unique blend of market intelligence, primary research, and expert assessment from its worldwide team of industry analysts, ABI Research assists hundreds of clients each year with their strategic growth initiatives. For information, visit www.abiresearch.com, or call +1.516.624.2500.
Hopefully it'll pickup next year like the article seems to say.
Old 08-08-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ncidentally, a study done in the month of June [PDF attachment] this year showed that Blu-ray adoption had outpaced DVD adoption, due largely to the rate at which PS3 consoles were selling.
Sounds more like "nobody wants Blu-ray but PS3's are still selling".
Old 08-08-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Especially skewed since June was the PS3's biggest month since launch with the release of MGS4.
Old 08-08-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
In otherwords, nobody wants to spend $400 on a video player with potential economic crisis on the horizon.
Old 08-08-08, 10:59 AM

I can see why many people don't want to splurge for a BD player. I still call it they're loss our gain. So be it if they want to stick with Dvd. Did it ever occur to them that Dvd's are now cheap as hell to make room for the future BD releases of the titles they're purchasing?? I see it all the time @ walmart...."omg these are cheap I'm buying a bunch of them" ya..it's because they're moving them out and they'll soon be oop.

Who knows...some claim there's "no difference" I'm sick of arguing with them. Let them enjoy dvd. Blu-ray isn't going anywhere for a while...but I do expect dvd to be around for quite some time too.
Old 08-08-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Certainly with the economy in bad shape it doesn't help the spending on luxuries like Blu-Ray players. That won't help adoption. And I don't think anyone expects to replicate the success of DVD for various reasons. But it seems like the format continues to grow at a decent rate, and I often think people understate that. DVD took years to really take off, so Blu-Ray has to be given time to grow, and the slow growth so far seems pretty typical of any new format.
Old 08-08-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2

Who knows...some claim there's "no difference" I'm sick of arguing with them. Let them enjoy dvd.
I think the more accurate claim is closer to "the difference isn't big enough to justify the cost (especially in this economy).

That's exactly my thought process. I've seen the displays in stores, and even under their suboptimal viewing conditions, I can see the improvement. But it's just not enough to justify the upgrade. I have an HD TV, but it's only a 30" diagonal, and it doesn't have HDMI. So I'd have to get both a new player and a new display to really take advantage of the format.

If I were to luck into a cheap PS3, I would start buying selected new releases on Blu, but I would have no problem continuing to buy older catalogue titles on SD, mainly since we buy most of them used already.
Old 08-08-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Still waiting for a good standalone player
Old 08-08-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Still waiting for a good standalone player
I don't know why. The PS3 is cheap and still among the best players on the market. It gives you more, not less, than a stand-alone.

I think I'd buy a second PS3 before I bought a stand-alone player.
Old 08-08-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't know why. The PS3 is cheap and still among the best players on the market. It gives you more, not less, than a stand-alone.

I think I'd buy a second PS3 before I bought a stand-alone player.
Because I am waiting for the new generation of players. I have no interest in the PS3 for either movies or games.
Old 08-08-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My equipment is nothing special.

I have a 42" panasonic viera and a PS3.

The quality is astounding and once u see it, you will never go back.

I was one of those people that said I would never go Blu, but decided once I got my TV and PS3 to give it a shot. I wasn't expecting what I saw. It was amazing.
Old 08-08-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts
I agree the economy is a big factor. DVD's went into full swing when the economic outlook was bright back in 2002. Blu-Ray does not have that advantage.

Blu-Ray really only offers a better picture, all of the other functions and features are more or less the same as DVD.

The argument for a better picture is even somewhat redundant. Yes, Blu-Ray looks better but isn't the motion picture industry crying because the business is supposedly being destroyed by awful-looking downloads? Is picture quality really that critical to the average buyer? Is it worth throwing away a perfectly nice Porsche only to spend thousands more for a Ferrari?

Many Blu-Ray supporters mention that you do not have to replace your collection of standard DVD's, just start fresh with Blu-Ray.

I don't feel a format can successfully sustain itself on only selling new releases. A big factor of the success with DVD is the studios were able to re-sell their old library titles. They re-packaged them, added extras, better picture/sound etc. and gave you a good reason to replace that worn out, full screen, grainy VHS tape that had already been eaten up in your VCR a few times!

People are also anticipating downloading or their cable company offering a huge library of on-demand films in HD in the near future. Store 100 HD movies on your i-Pod and plug it into your TV maybe?

What about recordable Blu-Ray discs? Will they play on the current machines? I know a lot of people who bought their $600-$1000 DVD players between 1997-1999 only to find later on, the DVD-R discs did not play in them.

I don't want to sound like I am knocking the Blu-Ray format itself. It does deliver an excellent picture and sound, superior to that of DVD. I feel the consumers are getting frustrated at the rate of which technology is advancing so quickly that it feels as if we're having to throw away everything every two years to keep up with it.

I'm not a gamer, but I guess PS3 buyers feel they're getting the added value and have been a factor in Blu-Ray disc sales.

I still feel Blu-Ray is the laserdisc of today. Laserdisc was way better than VHS but too expensive and you had the feeling something better & more affordable was just on the horizon.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-08-08 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
In otherwords, nobody wants to spend $400 on a video player with potential economic crisis on the horizon.
Economic crisis or not, the majority of people I know won't spend $400 for a player that results in you buying more expensive discs to feed it. I have a PS3 because I got a $100 credit from Sony and used some gift certificates, but I simply can't afford another for the bedroom, so I just went out and bought a standard DVD player with 1080p "upscale" for $60. More people will buy into it when prices of players and discs drop, and I think it's as simple as that.
Old 08-08-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Take this survey when the country isn't in a recession. The results will be much different.
Old 08-08-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by orangerunner
Many Blu-Ray supporters mention that you do not have to replace your collection of standard DVD's, just start fresh with Blu-Ray.

I don't feel a format can successfully sustain itself on only selling new releases. A big factor of the success with DVD is the studios were able to re-sell their old library titles. They re-packaged them, added extras, better picture/sound etc. and gave you a good reason to replace that worn out, full screen, grainy VHS tape that had already been eaten up in your VCR a few times!
Maybe, but you also have to consider that people will buy catalog titles that are "new" to them. It's not as if I've seen every movie I could possibly be interested in, and own all of the ones I want. I've bought some titles that I didn't get on DVD for some reason, because I hadn't seen it, or the quality wasn't good, or I just never got around to it. There are actually a few catalog titles that weren't available on DVD, that are being released for the first time, and I'll certainly opt for the BD in those cases.
Old 08-08-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree the economy is a big factor. DVD's went into full swing when the economic outlook was bright back in 2002. Blu-Ray does not have that advantage.

Blu-Ray really only offers a better picture, all of the other functions and features are more or less the same as DVD.
Blu-ray also offers quite a bit more in terms of interactivity. Better sound, too, but I suppose the majority of the tin-eared masses probably wouldn't hear much difference on their $100 Wal*Mart special HTIB surround sound packages!

The argument for a better picture is even somewhat redundant. Yes, Blu-Ray looks better but isn't the motion picture industry crying because the business is supposedly being destroyed by awful-looking downloads? Is picture quality really that critical to the average buyer? Is it worth throwing away a perfectly nice Porsche only to spend thousands more for a Ferrari?

I don't want to sound harsh, but the answer is pretty simple: you don't have to do anything you don't want. You don't want Blu-ray? Don't buy it.

Old, scratched up (and in some cases "full screen") DVDs might need to be replaced in time, too. And what better way to do it than with scratch-resistant Blu-ray discs containing (drum-roll) additional extras, better picture/sound, etc.?

People are also anticipating downloading or their cable company offering a huge library of on-demand films in HD in the near future. Store 100 HD movies on your i-Pod and plug it into your TV maybe?
Downloads and physical media are two completely separate animals, and the world is quite big enough to support both. The movie studios which produce both seem to think so, anyway.

What about recordable Blu-Ray discs? Will they play on the current machines? I know a lot of people who bought their $600-$1000 DVD players between 1997-1999 only to find later on, the DVD-R discs did not play in them.
First, why not visit Lizard's sticky "Blu-ray Player" info thread and check out all the current BD player features? It's quite an insightful and informative read, and he's done a heck of a job putting it all together.

Second, my first DVD player (Nov. 1999) cost $350 and it wouldn't play RW discs. Still won't, in fact, but I happily continue to use it for other things as it's a terrific player. My first player wouldn't hold 300 discs and it wasn't portable, either. Since that first player, though, I've managed to accumulate several other players besides; each based on the functionality and features they provide.

I don't want to sound like I am knocking the Blu-Ray format itself. It does deliver an excellent picture and sound, superior to that of DVD. I just feel frustrated at the rate rate of which technology is advancing so quickly that it feels as if were having to throw away everything every two years to keep up with it.
It does sound a bit like you're knocking it, but that could just be me. I do understand your frustration, but would encourage you to roll with it. Technology is going to keep on advancing, and unless you choose to go live in the woods or something, you're going to have to deal with it.

The public is starting to feel they're being sold something they don't really need. I'm not a gamer, but I guess PS3 buyers feel they're getting the added value and have been a factor in Blu-Ray disc sales.
The public is ALWAYS being sold things they don't need.

I still feel Blu-Ray is the laserdisc of today. Laserdisc was way better than VHS but too expensive and you had the feeling something better & more affordable was just on the horizon.
Perhaps, but Laserdisc was around for quite some time (I still have my Laserdisc player, too) and many people were happy to buy into it. Something better and more affordable is always on the horizon. It's just the way things are, my friend.
Old 08-08-08, 01:55 PM

Unfortunately, if I were to think about friends where I live, family members, and co-workers at my office, I hardly know anyone who owns blu-ray. And I frankly rarely hear people talking about getting into blu-ray. It just has not hit the mainstream yet, if it ever will. Many of the people I just referred to have DVD players. Very few collect DVDs anywhere near the extent that I have collected them over the years. They have 20, 30, 50 DVDs maybe--but the hundreds that most of us on here have, no.

So you're taking a technology that was revolutionary and gave consumers so much more than they had (DVD), and making improvements to it that many people either can't see (somehow) or just don't care about enough in order to spend the money on a newfangled blu-ray player and expensive discs.

PS3 sales were huge a month or two ago due to the release of the MGS4 bundle, but also the $100 gift card promotions at Walmart and matched by Best Buy. That's when I picked up my PS3. But after my initial purchase of 10-20 blu-rays, I have basically come to a halt. The prices on the discs are too high for impulse purchases, and after years of collecting hundreds of discs, I'm really trying to limit my purchases.

Bottom line, I still think blu-ray has big hurdles to overcome, and I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 08-08-08, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Once Bluray players hit the sweet spot of $150,(IMO) that's when we will see it mainstream. Who knows about software prices.
Old 08-08-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see why people don't go hi-def -- because stores like Wal-Mart are idiots. I was in one yesterday and their reel for all of their hi-def TVs was distinctly standard-def, and it looked more like an old VHS. If that's what people think hi-def looks like, of course nobody will get it.
Old 08-08-08, 03:08 PM
KLZ
Cool New Member

This news is not surprising to me at all and there are a ton of good points made in this thread about why I have not and will not plan to get into Blue Ray for at least 1 year, 2, or even 3 possibly.

If I had the money, sure I would buy it all.. but unfortunately (Or fortunately compared to what other people don't have the luxury of having) I have a regularly sized TV set and a decent but nothing to jump for joy about audio system. So there is really not reason I need to run out and jump in if there is no real features I am missing out on. Even if I buy a ps3 which I might do in a year or so for the games I probably will not even use the blue ray player after testing it out with whatever free movie that comes along with it. Unless there are some Discs seriously cheap... like $10 or less, but even that is beginning to seem like a high price for a movie.. $3.99 seems to be my new price unless I really liked a movie.

Besides, I don't see this being the future, this sounded about right:

Store 100 HD movies on your i-Pod and plug it into your TV maybe?
Just look at what direction music is taking.
Old 08-08-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is quite ironic to see that after quoting one article from one web site to another web site the surveys miraculously revealed two different trends:

Original article requoted in the the top article in this thread reads Consumers Delaying Blu-ray Player Purchases. The article quoted in this thread reads: Consumers do not want Blu-Ray.

Delaying vs. not wanting...vs. reality.

Here's the original article:
http://www.abiresearch.com/press/120...ayer+Purchases

Blu-ray players are not flying off retailers’ shelves, at least not in the numbers the industry might hope for. A new consumer survey from ABI Research has revealed a widespread reluctance to commit to a Blu-ray player in the near future: over half of the 1000 respondents, citing “other priorities,” say they have no plans to purchase one; a further 23% are likely to buy, but not until sometime in 2009.

ABI Research principal analyst Steve Wilson says that much of the lukewarm response can be attributed to consumers’ perceptions about the value proposition that Blu-ray delivers. “Consumers were happy to embrace standard DVD when that format arrived because the improvement in quality over VHS videotapes was dramatic. Standard DVD didn’t require the purchase of a new TV either. In contrast, while half of the respondents to our survey rated Blu-ray’s quality as ‘much better’ than standard DVD, another 40% termed it only ‘somewhat better,’ and most are very satisfied with the performance of their current DVD players.”

High Blu-ray player prices and the need for an accompanying high-definition television were also leading barriers to wider adoption, the survey showed. “We expect that player prices will remain above $300 for Tier One models for the remainder of this year,” says Wilson. Look for disc bundling to become the buyers’ incentive.

There is a bright spot, however: Sony’s Blu-ray-enabled PlayStation 3 game console is rapidly becoming a favorite for hard-core gamers and so the installed base of sockets for Blu-ray discs continues to climb. “While you might think gamers purchase fewer movie discs that others, we didn’t see any significant evidence of that in our results,” says Wilson. “PS3 console shipments will go a long way to help bring down manufacturing costs and drive down Blu-ray player prices.”

The new ABI Research Brief “Blu-ray: Consumer Survey Results” indicates how many consumers plan to purchase a BD player in the next 12 and 24 months, as well as how many have no plans to buy one. It also examines the reasons why consumers are holding back from making this purchase.

ABI Research is a leading market research firm focused on the impact of emerging technologies on global consumer and business markets. Utilizing a unique blend of market intelligence, primary research, and expert assessment from its worldwide team of industry analysts, ABI Research assists hundreds of clients each year with their strategic growth initiatives. For information, visit www.abiresearch.com, or call +1.516.624.2500.

Makes you wonder why Panasonic officials will make the following statements (posted on the same day by the way):
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=13259

Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL

Panasonic Exec: Blu-ray at Center of HD Universe

Eisuke Tsuyuzaki
As a charter member of the Blu-ray Disc Association and manufacturer of Blu-ray disc players, Panasonic was at the center of the format war with HD DVD and has been on the forefront ever since, promoting the next-generation-packaged media to consumers and retailers.

Riding shotgun throughout it all has been Eisuke Tsuyuzaki, VP of corporate development of Panasonic Corp. of America and GM of its Blu-ray Disc Group.

A fixture at conventions, conferences and trade shows, Tsuyuzaki isn’t just regurgitating marketing hype. He truly believes Panasonic has staked much of its consumer electronics success on widespread adoption of Blu-ray. To him, Blu-ray is much more than a new format; it is ground zero of a burgeoning high-definition universe.

Home Media Magazine checked in with Tsuyuzaki for a status report on the new home entertainment world order.

HM: The home entertainment industry and studios are putting a major emphasis on Blu-ray in the fourth quarter. How important is Blu-ray to Panasonic?
Tsuyuzaki: The question really is: How important is high-definition to Panasonic? As black-and-white went to color and analog is going to digital, everything around us is becoming high-definition. Big-screen TVs, camcorders and digital still cameras are all becoming high-definition enabled.

What I’ve always said is that Blu-ray completes high-definition. It not only ties together packaged media and laptops; it also does authoring, archiving and other things. Blu-ray has always been in the center of this HD universe.

So from a strategic point of view, it is critical to the health and growth of our industry.

HM: Are consumer electronics manufacturers doing enough to promote Blu-ray?
Tsuyuzaki: The CE industry has always focused on one product category at a time. To me, Blu-ray is not just another disc player. At Panasonic, we have this theme called “Living in High-Definition” to capture all of the CE products we are trying to do. We are giving [a high-def home experience] to 100 families across the United States for feedback. We are an official sponsor of the Beijing Olympics, which is another HD event. We have four trucks running around the country at retail and certain events that demonstrate HD on 103-inch displays.

Working with the studios, because you need Blu-ray content, we’ve worked with Disney (mall tour, Sleeping Beauty BD Live gala) and 20th Century Fox at NASCAR events in California. We will continue to do more, as this fourth quarter will be a critical time because once you see [Blu-ray], you get it.

HM: Is the side-by-side visual display still the best tool to promote Blu-ray?
Tsuyuzaki: I think it is a very effective way. Once you have seen it — the picture, sound, interactive applications — the light bulb goes on and people get the “aha.”

HM: What is Panasonic doing in terms of point-of-purchase displays, kiosks and related efforts to sell/promote the new format?
Tsuyuzaki: We have Blu-ray endcaps at retail. Most of the marketing dollars are going into the retail environment and not just into generic promotions on awareness. We are putting our money at retail. The picture quality is a strong component of it. Another component is the 7.1 surround sound.

HM: Is BD Live the killer app to fuel Blu-ray adoption in the United States?
Tsuyuzaki: I wouldn’t call it the killer app. There are two types of Blu-ray. The profile 1.1 is so-called bonus view [picture-in-picture], which is for people who like the basic playback experience of DVD. The profile 2.0 BD Live is really another world on top of Blu-ray. Some people want it, some people don’t want it and others are trying to figure out what they want to do with it.

BD Live is a universe and not an application.

HM: Is it important that every Blu-ray player have BD Live capability?
Tsuyuzaki: No. Our current Panasonic offerings include a bonus view player and BD Live player. They are priced differently because they cater to slightly different segments of the market. Time will prevail. It is not designed that one [profile] will win. The format, unlike HD DVD, has two different versions. It’s not as if one is better than the other. It has two different flavors.

HM: Won’t marketing it like that be confusing to consumers?
Tsuyuzaki: That is more of a marketing job. And it depends how quickly we can bring forward this universe called BD Live. If that is not compelling enough, then it is going to flounder. By working with the studios, we think there is a compelling layer, and it is really for consumers to decide whether they really like it or they like their current [DVD-like] experience. We think you need to push the bar. As a manufacturer, we like to push the bar.

HM: What do you say to consumers who are satisfied with standard DVD? Is there enough of a difference to compel a transition from standard-DVD to Blu-ray?
Tsuyuzaki: When we had VHS, I was very happy with the state-of-the-art 20-inch televisions. When DVD came around, I think the state-of-the-art TV was 32 inches. What you are seeing now from our company is on average we sell 50-inch flat-screen TVs. People are buying flat-screen TVs by the millions. When you have such a big screen, and it is demonstrated correctly what that TV is capable of, then Blu-ray becomes a natural complement to that proposition.

To those people who say they are happy with standard DVD, when you are connected to a big-screen TV, the detail just isn’t there.

HM: You manufacture upconverting DVD players. Don’t they undercut the argument to buy Blu-ray?
Tsuyuzaki: Blu-ray is also an upconverting DVD player. Many people forget that Blu-ray plays back standard DVDs. Right now we cannot dismiss the impact of the standard-DVD market. But what I am seeing is that the DVD player is shifting to your second room, or den or bedroom. We are in a state of transition of formats, so DVD is primarily used in home-theater-in-a-box applications, in portable applications and DVD recorders. That’s where we still see DVD having some meaning.

We do sell DVD players, but for your living room, you are looking for a Blu-ray player. It’s as simple as that.

HM: Which of the current theatrical box office hit releases on Blu-ray will be most important: The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Indiana Jones, etc.? Any preference?
Tsuyuzaki: Titles will drive the business. There is no doubt about that. It is a symbiotic relationship with titles that will certainly help drive adoption. Hopefully it is not just the title, but what it can do for you. There will be a few titles at the end of the year that will have BD Live. I hope some will have 7.1-surround sound, which we haven’t fully demonstrated yet.

HM: Will there be a $250 Blu-ray player on the market by Christmas?
Tsuyuzaki: Is this an industry comment or Panasonic? (laughing) The right answer is that the retailer is going to decide that. What you are seeing already is that at $399, we can’t make enough Blu-ray players. We (Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer) all have been airfreighting for the last four months straight. The demand seems to be robust. I think we are on our way to sales of 3.5 million players. If you add that to cumulative year-to-date sales, that is a very healthy robust number going into mainstream adoption.

When it comes to mainstream, certain manufacturers will look at pricing. Last week, online blog site Endgadget said we smoked the competition. Hopefully, there is value in things like that.

HM: What’s your fourth-quarter prediction for Blu-ray?
Tsuyuzaki: Tremendous success. From a hardware point-of-view, I think there will be 20 million Blu-ray devices sold due to Sony’s PlayStation 3, players and laptops, which are an underserved area. As we transition toward HD, Blu-ray is going to complete the whole experience. It is inescapable.
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-08-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Here is my new favorite article:

Jim Keyes, CEO of Blockbuster, stated during a conference call with investors that the movie rental giant is now selling 2,000 to 3,000 Blu-ray Disc players a week since erecting Blu-ray themed kiosks at their retail the locations. Because of this success, he feels that Blockbuster will soon become an ideal location for the rental and purchase of Blu-ray products.

Keyes commented, "We think we are seeding the Blu-ray population. We are seeing consistent growth, new customer growth, which is probably contributing to our increased [in-store] foot traffic."
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_id=13297

According to Wikipedia:
Blockbuster states that it currently has 5,192 stores across the United States.

So...every other Blockbuster location is selling a PS3 a week. Since only a handful of Blockbuster stores(test stores) sell Stand alone players this can only mean PS3. And as all we know that PS3s are also gaming consoles, so assuming they will be used as a Blu-ray player is just ol' fashion spin.

Last edited by Gizmo; 08-08-08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-08-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Here is my new favorite article:
Very good for Sony. Now take a look at the article immediately above yours.

Pro-B
Old 08-08-08, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Does Blockbuster sell Panasonic or other CE's sell Blu-ray players at Blockbuster? Nope (well, maybe at the dozen or so test stores but their certainly not selling 300 a week).

Edit: Oh, I see you edited your post to remove what you just posted because you were wrong.
Old 08-08-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Does Blockbuster sell Panasonic or other CE's sell Blu-ray players at Blockbuster? Nope (well, maybe at the dozen or so test stores but their certainly not selling 300 a week).
The point is not whether or no Blockbuster sells PS3. The point is: PS3 isn't the only BD player selling!

It is great to hear that Blockbuster contributes to the growing number of BR owners. Anyway you want to look at it.

Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.