DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Wife in the EU, any Blu-Ray she should buy me? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/536444-wife-eu-any-blu-ray-she-should-buy-me.html)

REL77 07-26-08 11:36 PM

Wife in the EU, any Blu-Ray she should buy me?

My wife is in England for a couple weeks and are there any Blu-Ray movies that she can buy me that I can play in my US PS3? I am not really sure how imports work with BRD regional coding. Any tips on ones available there that I should get her to pick up that are not available here?

pro-bassoonist 07-27-08 12:44 AM

Black Narcissus (ITV-Granada)
Great Expectations (ITV-Granada)
Days of Glory (Metrodome)
The Seventh Seal (Tartan)

Ciao,
Pro-B

Copper Blue 07-27-08 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by REL77
My wife is in England for a couple weeks and are there any Blu-Ray movies that she can buy me that I can play in my US PS3? I am not really sure how imports work with BRD regional coding. Any tips on ones available there that I should get her to pick up that are not available here?

Given the love for Michael Bay that you profess in your signature, might I suggest The Island?

REL77 07-27-08 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
Given the love for Michael Bay that you profess in your signature, might I suggest The Island?

That's a good call. Is the island regionaly coded? Is there a list of non regionally coded bed somewhere I can see

Edison 07-27-08 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by REL77
That's a good call. Is the island regionaly coded? Is there a list of non regionally coded bed somewhere I can see

Yes, check out <A HREF="http://bluray.liesinc.net/" target="_new">Blu-Ray Region Code Info</A> and select Region B titles. The Island is region free.

DVD Guy ATL 07-27-08 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Black Narcissus (ITV-Granada)
Great Expectations (ITV-Granada)
Days of Glory (Metrodome)
The Seventh Seal (Tartan)

Ciao,
Pro-B

Good list, except that the extra featurette on "Black Narcissus" isn't viewable on North America BR players... just the feature film... in case that matters to you.

Both the film and special features on "The Seventh Seal" BR are viewable, but for some reason the package also includes a PAL version of the standard DVD (in addition to the BR) that you can only watch with a conversion player. Not that you'd want to watch it anyway (LOL), but just saying.

Thumbs-up on "Great Expectations" for many reasons, one being that you can watch everything you've paid for... even though it's just the film. ;)

PopcornTreeCt 07-27-08 12:58 PM

Sweeney Todd

pro-bassoonist 07-27-08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
Good list, except that the extra featurette on "Black Narcissus" isn't viewable on North America BR players... just the feature film... in case that matters to you.

Actually, you could still see the trailer, only the Profile bit isn't viewable but unless I am mistaken it is found on the French SDVD which I own and it is anything but revealing. ITV's discs are pretty much a budget affair when it comes to extras but I quite enjoyed the treatment they offer for the main features (even though it is obvious that full HD restoration has not been done on any of them).

Pro-B

Michael Corvin 07-27-08 03:27 PM

Almost Famous: the Bootled (untitled) cut

The only non R1 disc I own. :D

Josh Z 07-27-08 04:38 PM

Have her pick me up a Region B PS3. I'll pay you back, honest. :)

Gizmo 07-27-08 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Almost Famous: the Bootled (untitled) cut

The only non R1 disc I own. :D

Ditto.

Oh, and Sweeny Todd.

Drexl 07-27-08 05:58 PM

You could get the non-DNR version of Pan's Labyrinth.

Hammer99 07-27-08 09:56 PM

Black Narcissus.

ThriceDamned 07-29-08 05:55 AM

Another few titles released in the UK that I know to be region free.

The Boys from Brazil
I'm A Cyborg, But That's Ok!
A Tale of Two Sisters
The Eagle Has Landed
Capricorn One
Bugsy Malone
Escape from Athena

eedoon 07-29-08 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
You could get the non-DNR version of Pan's Labyrinth.

Darn. If I knew this before, I'd get the European version instead of the US version. I haven't checked mine (and obviously I didn't know about any comparison), but are they really bad?

Kicker_of_Elves 07-29-08 07:34 AM

Zodiac