Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck Season 1 and Supernatural Season 3 headed to Blu November 11th

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Chuck Season 1 and Supernatural Season 3 headed to Blu November 11th

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 06:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The second season of Chuck has been really strong so far, I'm happy that Warner is releasing the first season on Blu-ray.
Old 10-27-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just a 'duh' heads up, got both today and both have DD5.1 track. Yeah, I know it got announced with them but figured I'd like you all know things have not changed. Packaging is similar to Terminator and Pushing Daisies with a slip cover and Supernatural comes with a digital copy of all of Season 3.
How's the PQ on Chuck?
Old 10-27-08, 07:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
How's the PQ on Chuck?
I have yet to give it a spin yet. From what Ive heard its better then broadcast versions.
Old 10-27-08, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Just gave a random episode a spin...looks better than broadcast for sure. One majr thing that's bugging me...you can't select an episode. It just starts. Not sure if its my player or what but if I press "Menu" or "Title/Pop" it brings me to "Resume Episode" or "Additional Footage". Ugh.
Old 10-27-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-28-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just gave a random episode a spin...looks better than broadcast for sure. One majr thing that's bugging me...you can't select an episode. It just starts. Not sure if its my player or what but if I press "Menu" or "Title/Pop" it brings me to "Resume Episode" or "Additional Footage". Ugh.
WB did this with pushing daisies as well, so not that big of a surprise, but still annoying.
Old 10-28-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Kocheese99
WB did this with pushing daisies as well, so not that big of a surprise, but still annoying.
And Smallville. Why the episode selection isn't available on the main menu is beyond me.
Old 10-28-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
Is that on both of the sets?
Old 10-28-08, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Is that on both of the sets?
After talking to a few others with Chuck I got my issue resolved. For some reason the "Title/Pop" button on my remote was not working with Disc 1 and 2(it would go to the special features menu). After trying it on Disc 3 (and unplugging my player for a minute) it worked fine. Maybe it was just me But the show does start automatically so if you want to check out a certain episode you'll have to use the "Title/Pop" button to select.
Old 10-29-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
How many discs does Supernatural span, just out of curiosity?
Old 10-29-08, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vipper II
IIRC, 3, but I only glanced at Supernatural briefly.
Old 11-12-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
So did anyone get Supernatural, I got mine online, I hope it sells well enough to see future seasons released.
Old 11-12-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
3, although the whole season (as encoded) could've fit on 2 discs with room to spare.

If you're bored: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35357...-third-season/
Old 11-12-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So did anyone get Supernatural, I got mine online, I hope it sells well enough to see future seasons released.
I picked a copy up yesterday.
Old 11-13-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope Supernatural sells well...but I've got to hold off for now due to the pretty high list price on that one...
Old 11-13-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I hope Supernatural sells well...but I've got to hold off for now due to the pretty high list price on that one...
I was actually kind of surprised at the rather high price, especially since it was a shortened season. But, I still bought the thing anyway because it's such a damn good show.
Old 11-13-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll pickup mine tomorrow. I want the WB to release S1 and S2 on Blu.
Old 11-13-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
You can get it for $41.89 with the DD 25% off sale.

I was actually kind of surprised at the rather high price, especially since it was a shortened season.
They managed to do 16 episodes which is more than some other shows.
Old 12-30-08, 06:26 PM

I did a blind buy of Chuck yesterday at BB. I have watched all the episodes on disc 1 and I have to say that I am really enjoying the show.
Old 12-30-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the show, shame the studio fucked up the BD release so badly. Both reviews I read trashed the video quality. Hi-Def Digest called the PQ "fugly" and gave it 2 of 5 stars. Dvd talk was nearly the same.
Old 12-30-08, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Easy
Love the show, shame the studio fucked up the BD release so badly. Both reviews I read trashed the video quality. Hi-Def Digest called the PQ "fugly" and gave it 2 of 5 stars. Dvd talk was nearly the same.
Given the source material for Chuck, I thought the BD was a huge improvement over the HD feed NBC has here.
Old 12-30-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The picture quality really is bad, but the show itself is, ahem, awesome, so it was worth the $25 I paid for it.

But somebody please explain to me why there are seven episodes jammed onto the first disc, with just three episodes each on the second two discs. The only thing I can fathom is that Warner Bros. wanted to be cheap and use a BD-50 on the first disc, with BD-25s for the second two discs. But seven episodes on one disc is just pushing it.
Old 12-30-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I blind bought Chuck from the WB store. Watched it a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. Fortunately I planned ahead and recorded all of season two (thus far) on my Tivo. Watched all of those too and now I'm painfully awaiting it's February return.

I didn't notice any picture issues, but then again, I was so engrossed in the show itself that may have been why. I did think the episode breakdown per disc was very odd.
Old 12-30-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The picture quality really is bad, but the show itself is, ahem, awesome, so it was worth the $25 I paid for it.

But somebody please explain to me why there are seven episodes jammed onto the first disc, with just three episodes each on the second two discs. The only thing I can fathom is that Warner Bros. wanted to be cheap and use a BD-50 on the first disc, with BD-25s for the second two discs. But seven episodes on one disc is just pushing it.
Is the picture quality the same over all discs, in your opinion? I'm sure WB was looking at it from a cost-effective approach. They probably were going to do BD-50's, but then got a deal on BD-25's on eBay or something.

EDIT: Actually, let me take what I said back about WB a bit. I'm not fond of WB in many instances, but in this case, I'm withholding judgment overall. I took a look at my Supernatural Season 3 Blu-ray set. It has 7 episodes on one Blu-ray disc as well, 5 I think on the 2nd disc, and 3 on the 3rd disc. I just got finished watching the entire S3 set this weekend, and I have to say, I didn't notice hardly any difference between discs. They all looked really good.

So, it very well may be it's the 16mm look for the first season of Chuck.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-30-08 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Is the picture quality the same over all discs, in your opinion? I'm sure WB was looking at it from a cost-effective approach. They probably were going to do BD-50's, but then got a deal on BD-25's on eBay or something.

EDIT: Actually, let me take what I said back about WB a bit. I'm not fond of WB in many instances, but in this case, I'm withholding judgment overall. I took a look at my Supernatural Season 3 Blu-ray set. It has 7 episodes on one Blu-ray disc as well, 5 I think on the 2nd disc, and 3 on the 3rd disc. I just got finished watching the entire S3 set this weekend, and I have to say, I didn't notice hardly any difference between discs. They all looked really good.

So, it very well may be it's the 16mm look for the first season of Chuck.
I'm just wrapping up Disc 1 and will be delving into Disc 2 in the next few days. I'll let you know.

Some shots look just fine, but the episodes are far from consistent. The review at High-Def Digest was pretty accurate --- lots of "grain," (whether its film grain or digital artifacting I can't say), mosquito noise, etc. I just finished watching "Chuck vs. the Wookie" and was shocked at how the background, particularly shadows, actually seemed to throb with blue digital noise. And there are lots of shots in the Buy More where Chuck's white shirt is so blown out there is zero detail in it. He looks radioactive.

I just looked the show up on IMDb and the technical specs say that the show was shot on 16mm film, so that may well be the problem. Still, I don't think jamming seven episodes on one disc is a good idea.

All that said, the show is so damned good that I can overlook the quality issues, especially for $25. I'd just like to know if the current season has been upgraded to 35mm or HD video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.