Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

My A35 is now basically a paperweight

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

My A35 is now basically a paperweight

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Place selling cheap HD DVD players..if you are really concerned about your collections get one of these bad boys as a backup:

http://www.warehousedeals.com/Toshib...B000U6AHYS.htm
http://www.warehousedeals.com/Toshib...B000U62N1S.htm
http://www.warehousedeals.com/Toshib...B000IJV4BC.htm

They are refurb but whatever, may be worth it, especially those with bigger collections
Old 07-22-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Personally I'd spend the money on trying to repair my XA2 before rolling the dice on a lower model refurb.
Old 07-22-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold my A2 for $50 on ebay some time ago, but I still have an Xbox HD-DVD drive in the closet I paid $50 for. It's handy to have an external DVD-ROM laying around anyway (I just used it a few months back for an optical-drive free media center PC build).

My refurbed XA2 is a fantastic DVD player, I hope it holds out.
Old 07-22-08, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I pretty much got screwed every which way on this deal. I bought the thing in December when the prices were still high on these things. By the time the price dropped it was too late for a price match although I did eventually receive a $50 Amazon GC.

The 2 discs in the box I already had so I sold them for whatever I could get for a copy of Bourne and a copy of 300 (not much). The 5 free deal it's well known that by the time they showed up it was pretty much crap I didn't want or already had.

Now the thing kept giving me the dreaded error code 408bc504 on some of my discs like Batman Begins and wouldn't even load Combo discs on the HD side.

So I finally got around to updating the firmware. The process was easy and flawless. Only problem? IT DIDN"T FREAKIN WORK.

So for now I've playing with my A3. It only plays 1080i but so far I really can't tell a difference and since it plays movies I wasn't able to watch on the old one, there is no way to compare. Funny thing is the A3 still has the old version of firmware and it plays better than the more expensive unit. So basically I have a nice $300 upconverting player for the bedroom.
Well if your looking to get rid of your A35 please PM me .....I love mine no problem here ( knock on wood)
Old 07-25-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I called Toshiba and the CS rep led me to the 3.0 firmware upgrade for the A3xx series of players. Maybe that will help?

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...firmwarev3.asp
Old 07-30-08, 03:46 AM

That's why after the price crash, I bought another A30 just to sit in the box. Cheaper to have a backup unit then replace the discs I had. I do have to say, Toshiba has done a good support job, as far as sending me firmware update discs, just got another one today. I don't really need them, but it's the thought that counts.
Old 08-02-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tried performing the upgrade and the machine wouldn't take it. I got the error code for incorrect version, even though it's called A35 in the zip file. I'll have to call Toshiba again on Monday
Old 08-08-08, 07:12 AM

I think it is absolutely silly for people to be worried about possibly being unable to play their HD-DVD collection someday.

Laserdisc has been dead for 8 years and my player is still going fine. If/When it dies, there are plenty of working used players on ebay.

HD-DVD didn't have the lifespan that LD had, but there are boatloads of players out there. Used players are going to be around forever plus a day.
Old 08-08-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Anderson
I think it is absolutely silly for people to be worried about possibly being unable to play their HD-DVD collection someday.

Laserdisc has been dead for 8 years and my player is still going fine. If/When it dies, there are plenty of working used players on ebay.

HD-DVD didn't have the lifespan that LD had, but there are boatloads of players out there. Used players are going to be around forever plus a day.
IMO most LD players were likely built better than the A2's and A3's that would be most common on Ebay and such. That's why I made sure I got my hands on an XA2.

My experience with Toshiba player models originally priced under $300 (both HD DVD and non-HD DVD) has been less than stellar. No way I'd rely on a third-party used or refurb A2 or A3 for my collection. My retired A1 probably has a better shot at longevity given the build quality.
Old 08-08-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you wouldn't feel that way if you've had 2 brick on you already. The second after playing only 1 movie in a 3 month span.
Old 08-08-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did finally upgrade to 3.0 but it didn't help. It still chokes on some combos and froze on Batman Begins. They play in my A3 just fine. I have to call Toshiba and get a refurb but I'm having a feeling it will last for 3 days past the warranty period.
Old 08-08-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I did finally upgrade to 3.0 but it didn't help. It still chokes on some combos and froze on Batman Begins. They play in my A3 just fine. I have to call Toshiba and get a refurb but I'm having a feeling it will last for 3 days past the warranty period.
I still have an A1 and A3. Months ago, I had gone through 2 A35s from Best Buy and both were crap. They froze on the first try. My other 2 units were much more stable.

Of course, my brother has an A30 that was buggy from the beginning, until the 3.0 upgrade. He has no issues now.
Old 08-08-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
My big, bulky A1 is still humming along. Still my primary player for DVDs. Never had any issues with it.
Old 08-18-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got around to trying to upgrading to 3.0 to get the A3 to start recognizing HDDVD's again with no luck. Still does the same thing where the drive will click a couple of times and then say No Disc with an HDDVD inserted.
Old 08-19-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't worry about it, but I have a small collection (a bit over 10 I think) of HD DVDs, of which 5 were free, and a lot of the others are combo disks. By not adding to my collection, when my A2 dies, I won't feel a need to replace it. There will be maybe 2 movies I replace (Stardust and Blade Runner) which is cheaper and takes less space than replacing the player.
Old 08-19-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a feeling my Laserdisc player will easily outlive both of my HD DVD players. I'm not worried about that format, but I doubt I can find a working HD DVD player 5 years down the road.
Old 08-20-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My A1 has performed flawlessly to date. Then, just last night, while watching Van Helsing on hd-dvd, my A1 simply shut off. I powered up again, started to rewatch the movie and it shut off a second time.

That has never happened to me before, but seeing that I have just over 100 hd-dvd's and only have the A1, I'm concerned trouble may be brewing. Admittedly, ever since hd-dvd's demise, I have been conflicted as to whether I would hold on to my collection or sell it off and either replace those titles with blu-ray equivalents or go back (gasp!) to their sd versions.

If one were to purchase a backup hd-dvd player, is there a general consensus as to which model is the best? I'm weighing my options, but for now at least, I know I cannot afford a blu-ray player.
Old 08-20-08, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I have a feeling my Laserdisc player will easily outlive both of my HD DVD players. I'm not worried about that format, but I doubt I can find a working HD DVD player 5 years down the road.
Do what I did, spend $50 on a new A2/A3/Venturer and stick it in the closet

Ive done that 3 times now though...
Old 08-20-08, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tofferman
My A1 has performed flawlessly to date. Then, just last night, while watching Van Helsing on hd-dvd, my A1 simply shut off. I powered up again, started to rewatch the movie and it shut off a second time.

That has never happened to me before, but seeing that I have just over 100 hd-dvd's and only have the A1, I'm concerned trouble may be brewing. Admittedly, ever since hd-dvd's demise, I have been conflicted as to whether I would hold on to my collection or sell it off and either replace those titles with blu-ray equivalents or go back (gasp!) to their sd versions.

If one were to purchase a backup hd-dvd player, is there a general consensus as to which model is the best? I'm weighing my options, but for now at least, I know I cannot afford a blu-ray player.
Get an A2 or A3. Both can be had for about $50-$60 on eBay...maybe less if you get a good BuyItNow pop-up. Most of the time they come with a handful of movies as well. I wound up with about 10 copies of 300 and Bourne Identity at one point.
Old 08-20-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Do what I did, spend $50 on a new A2/A3/Venturer and stick it in the closet

Ive done that 3 times now though...
I'm continuing to invest in the format with the recent sales so I think I may do just that. I'd really love to stumble on a cheap XA2 or Onkyo though.
Old 08-21-08, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by zeez
well, I have the A3 and haven't seen the 408bc504 error in a long time...but every once in a while the signal blinks in/out and the tv says 'no signal'... can't figure out if that's the tv or the player at fault.. or the wire.
Interesting! Mine did the same thing. I wonder if you are running the video through your stereo like me (or maybe if has nothing to do with the stereo). But for me, I found out that the problem seemed to alleviate when I switched the default audio setting (I believe it's pcm) to bitstream. Or maybe it was the other way around. But I know it's the opposite of whatever the default factory setting is.

By the way, is one audio setting required over the other for HDMI? I don't know because I have mine hooked up via component RCA cords and optical audio cord.
Old 08-22-08, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Bourne Identity may be the equivalent of the Atari "Combat" cartridge.
Old 08-22-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by videoguy
Interesting! Mine did the same thing. I wonder if you are running the video through your stereo like me (or maybe if has nothing to do with the stereo). But for me, I found out that the problem seemed to alleviate when I switched the default audio setting (I believe it's pcm) to bitstream. Or maybe it was the other way around. But I know it's the opposite of whatever the default factory setting is.

By the way, is one audio setting required over the other for HDMI? I don't know because I have mine hooked up via component RCA cords and optical audio cord.
Nothing changed on mine when I changed the settings. I talked to Toshiba, they said send it in and they'll send me a "new" one.
Old 08-24-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought my A-1 two years ago and have had no problems so far. I am also afraid of it giving out considering the size of my collection.
Old 09-03-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After 3 emails and a fax, Toshiba finally got my receipt and authorized a return exchange. One thing that surprised me; the guy asked if I still had the firmware disc or if I needed another one. I said these are refurbished that have already been upgraded haven't they? He said they were new in the box and would need the firmware upgrades. ???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.