Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

are their any titles that won't go blu?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im pretty much not gonna buy too many more dvds, but was wondering if TV series (simpsons, seinfeld, etc) will go blu ray? I dont see how they can though considering they were never filmed in hi def...unless of course im wrong on this. So basically everything that is hi def will go blu ray correct?
Old 07-18-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhome83
I dont see how they can though considering they were never filmed in hi def...unless of course im wrong on this.
You of course are wrong on this.

I don't know how the animation was rendered for "The Simpsons," so I can't speak for that, but "Seinfeld" was shot on 35mm film. You know, the same kind of 35mm film used to make most movies. 35mm film is higher resolution than HD.
Old 07-18-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bhome83
So im pretty much not gonna buy too many more dvds, but was wondering if TV series (simpsons, seinfeld, etc) will go blu ray? I dont see how they can though considering they were never filmed in hi def...unless of course im wrong on this. So basically everything that is hi def will go blu ray correct?
I think that this is a very extreme approach which will limit your access to a variety of films. There are plenty of films that were available on VHS that never made to DVD. I am certain this will definitely be the case with the transition from DVD to BR.

I would suggest that you inform yourself as much as possible prior to committing to a purchase as the more BR adoption accelerates the more likely it will be that there would be a film/show you liked that could see a BR release.

Pro-B
Old 07-18-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
So two points:

1) Since a lot of TV shows were shot on film, there's far less content that can't take advantage of HD resolution than most people think.

2) No single format has ever had everything released on it. Blu-Ray will be no different, although the more popular a format it becomes, the more likely obscure titles will be released on it.
Old 07-18-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There are quite a few shows, however, that were shot on SD video. From the 70s to the early 90s (or even today), some sitcoms like All in the Family or Three's Company, live events such as sports, reality TV, and some other shows were not shot on film. Saturday Night Live, for example, did not start shooting in HD until 2005, so it would probably be safe to buy previous seasons/compilations on DVD.

Granted, many of these don't have the prestige of great films or television, but there are still some shows that can't be transferred to HD. I'm still waiting on The State to come out on DVD, and I will buy that without hesitation.
Old 07-18-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I think what you will see for some shows is an entire season on 1 disc. So the simpsons will just put all 22 episodes on 1 disc or something along those lines.
Old 07-18-08, 09:30 AM
Banned

can anybody tell me will the x-files come to blu ?
Old 07-18-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
I think what you will see for some shows is an entire season on 1 disc. So the simpsons will just put all 22 episodes on 1 disc or something along those lines.
i'd be surprised if they ever do this, because the public's perception is that 1 disc ought to cost very little, so they wouldn't be able to price it even as high as the multi-disc DVD sets most likely.
Old 07-18-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
There are quite a few shows, however, that were shot on SD video. From the 70s to the early 90s (or even today), some sitcoms like All in the Family or Three's Company, live events such as sports, reality TV, and some other shows were not shot on film.
a surprising number of high profile sporting events have been shot in highdef then transcoded for standard def broadcast. my dad mentioned the highdef cameras at the '92 olympics in barcelona, for instance.
Old 07-18-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
a surprising number of high profile sporting events have been shot in highdef then transcoded for standard def broadcast. my dad mentioned the highdef cameras at the '92 olympics in barcelona, for instance.
Yep you just can't go the other way around. I was holding off on getting Newhart season 1, but since it was shot on SD video, I'll just pick up the DVD. The rest of the seasons were shot on film as far as I know, but doubtful they'll come out in HD anyway.
Old 07-18-08, 12:36 PM
Suspended

I would like to see Stop Loss on blu but who knows
Old 07-18-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Another thing to consider is that although the shows may have been shot on 35mm, many were edited on video. For example, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr and Seinfeld. They'd have to re-edit the shows and add new title cards in order to release them in high def.
Old 07-18-08, 04:38 PM

Cream-Filled Ho-Sluts 6
Old 07-18-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
^^^Kinda funny, I was going to say Toshiba: A Def History would never be on Blu-ray. But I like your title better, and it means the same thing.
Old 07-18-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Another thing to consider is that although the shows may have been shot on 35mm, many were edited on video. For example, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr and Seinfeld. They'd have to re-edit the shows and add new title cards in order to release them in high def.
Well, they already re-edited Seinfeld in HD. Brisco County is probably much further down the list on shows to re-transfer and re-edit, but considering that the studio will then be able to syndicate the show in HD as well, it's a definite possibility for showing up in HD at some point.
Old 07-18-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
In addition to what kefrank said about perceived value of multiple-disc sets, compatibility is going to be another factor. BD will only play in BD players. DVD, however, will play in BD, HD DVD, and DVD players. From a consumer angle, assuming the BD and DVD titles would cost the same, the DVD offers a better value in terms of places and ways it can be played.

Factor in that studios don't really want to release the exact same content in two different formats if they can help it, and BD releases of SD title content is going to be a very rare occurrence.
Old 07-19-08, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by xfilefanfreak
can anybody tell me will the x-files come to blu ?
There are no plans to bring the series to HD anytime soon. Youd be safe in getting them on DVD. The movies however may be coming out this year, probably D&D with the release of the 2nd one about to hit theaters.
Old 07-19-08, 01:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Denver the Last Dinosaur
Old 07-19-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The African Queen
Old 07-19-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Blu Ray?!?! I'm still waiting for a DVD release of Airborne!