Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Photos of Your Blu-Ray Collection

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Photos of Your Blu-Ray Collection

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
No wonder you're a "starving" DVDer (sheesh, three-quarters of them aren't even opened) and it's no wonder studios continue to release so many lousy movies on high-def when people will apparently snatch up anything on the shelf.
Actually my collection is pretty small. There is a guy on Blu-Ray.com that has twice as many as me.

I only open them when I am ready to watch. Of all the discs I have watched for the past eight years, I have yet to purchase one defective movie.

And 75% of my HD collection was paid for in cash (don't like using credit cards).
Old 10-16-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroX2
How do you guys afford this? Are you all like surgeons or lawyers?
I've always been wondering that as well.

My standard DVD collection plus the small amount of HD/BD's I have, took me about 8 years to get together. Crappy jobs but usually 40+ hour weeks and little sleep.

Seeing that HD/BD haven't even been around for that long, 300+ HD titles and 400+ BD titles is a lot of money
Old 10-17-08, 09:10 AM

Old 10-17-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I've always been wondering that as well.

My standard DVD collection plus the small amount of HD/BD's I have, took me about 8 years to get together. Crappy jobs but usually 40+ hour weeks and little sleep.

Seeing that HD/BD haven't even been around for that long, 300+ HD titles and 400+ BD titles is a lot of money
I'd be curious to know what the acqusition rate of hi-def titles has been for the rest of you also. In the year since I've been buying HD and Blu-ray discs, the rate at which I buy titles is 3 times the rate at which I bought DVD titles, when I average over all the years I was collecting DVD.
Old 10-17-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly started delving into DVD just after Christmas '06, more so collecting TV sets, but many stand alone DVD's as well.

Well I started my BD collection on Feb. 2, 08. I already have 100+ films on BD, it's so hard to pass up on the good deals..
Old 10-18-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My HD collection will never beat my record purchasing of dvds. I used to literally buy stacks of them every Tuesday.
Old 10-18-08, 10:39 AM

very nice everyone for sure here are mine not as many but i just started a few months ago.

Last edited by brady816; 10-18-08 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-18-08, 11:15 AM

I started Decmber of 2007 and this past summer is when I really started picking up alot.

Old 10-18-08, 12:23 PM

I'm just curious as the buying habits of some people with these larger collections. Do you just buy all BLU releases? Honestly I mean no offense if you actually enjoy these movies but in some big collections I'm just seeing a lot of crap in there. I'll admit that theres some movies that I can't help but enjoy regardless of what other people think but to me it seems like some of you buy just to buy.
Old 10-18-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do posts like the one above seem to happen in every collection thread? People like what they like, their money is their money, they have different hobbies and priorities, etc., etc.
Old 10-18-08, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Why do posts like the one above seem to happen in every collection thread? People like what they like, their money is their money, they have different hobbies and priorities, etc., etc.
Well thats what I'm asking. If people actually like these movies thats cool. But if your just buying to buy someothing you actually really don't enjoy I don't get the point.
Old 10-18-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, maybe there isn't a point. Maybe people enjoy the collecting aspect more than others. There probably isn't a rhyme or reason.
Old 10-18-08, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm just curious as the buying habits of some people with these larger collections. Do you just buy all BLU releases? Honestly I mean no offense if you actually enjoy these movies but in some big collections I'm just seeing a lot of crap in there. I'll admit that theres some movies that I can't help but enjoy regardless of what other people think but to me it seems like some of you buy just to buy.
Man...I hear ya on some things. I know I have over 100 BD now and could easily get down to 50 or 60...but looking at some peoples collections I'm amazed they managed to collect 400+ BDs (out of less then 1,000 in America) and plan on watching them. We get way to many junk movies released that I would never, ever want to see.

But then again, looking at my 300 HD DVD collection I can easily weed out well over a hundred titles, but most of them I only paid a few bucks for so I don't feel so bad since my in-laws wind up borrowing flicks from me every weekend.

To each his own
Old 10-18-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Again, maybe there isn't a point. Maybe people enjoy the collecting aspect more than others. There probably isn't a rhyme or reason.
Strangely enough, the people who do that never seem to really reply to the questions about why they have so many At least from what I can tell. No harm in asking why.
Old 10-18-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, duh, they are too busy buying needless movies to respond to posts.
Old 10-19-08, 01:35 AM

Like I said, I honestly mean absolutely no disrespect at all. It just strikes me as odd and I kind of want to figure out why people do it.
Old 10-19-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree. It almost borders on jealousy.
Old 10-19-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Seeing all these collections not in alphabetical order is making me sad.
Old 10-19-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I agree. It almost borders on jealousy.
Old 10-19-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Well said.
Old 10-19-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Well said.
I agree. Why would anyone be jealous of someone with no clearly defined taste in film? Some of these people just seem to buy so that, well, they are buying something.
Old 10-20-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess I will step up to the plate on this one.

I have 392 Blu-ray releases, and 83 HD DVD/Combo releases. I also have almost stopped buying standard definition releases, except for the Peanuts Remasters. Here is why I have such a large collection in such a short time. The higher quality format got me even more excited about watching movies and collecting them to have a nice library from which to pick something quickly. Because of my excitement mixed with the great sales that were happening during the format war, especially towards the end of last year meant that I could pick up several titles for $8 and $10 at Amazon.com. This got me into movies that I would not have normally given a second glance at. My logic was that If I didn't like it, I could sell it on eBay for about the same, which I have done.

The early high def releases were geared toward the younger crowd with PS3's that like Action and Sci-fi movies, which is a part of what I like, so I have a lot of those titles like the Bourne series, Terminator movies, etc. I also like documentaries and nature films, so I have a bunch of Smart Travels discs that were released on HD DVD and IMAX films, Planet Earth, some Discovery Channel programs like Build it Bigger, and Sunrise Earth which they have four different releases. I also have about 12-15 releases from overseas because I couldn't get them in high def over here.

Everyone's tastes are different. So, those are my reasons for my collection.
Old 10-20-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I'd buy a heck of a lot more than I do if I had the dough. In the past two years I've had to seriously scale-back my movie buying habits which used to be relatively free and easy when it came to blind-buying and the like.

It's funny how your monetary priorities suddenly change when you a) move out of your parents' basement, b) get married, and c) have virtually no more disposable income!
Old 10-20-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
I know I'd buy a heck of a lot more than I do if I had the dough. In the past two years I've had to seriously scale-back my movie buying habits which used to be relatively free and easy when it came to blind-buying and the like.

It's funny how your monetary priorities suddenly change when you a) move out of your parents' basement, b) get married, and c) have virtually no more disposable income!
You are certainly not selling me on getting married or buying an expensive house!
Old 10-20-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
You are certainly not selling me on getting married or buying an expensive house!
Ha ha ha ha ha

You just have to marry into money!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.