Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-16-08, 11:29 AM   #101
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy is going to have it for $69.99 which actually is pretty good. But i'll still go with amazon since i have prime.
Old 09-16-08, 11:34 AM   #102

Here is a Digital Bits review of the Blue Ray edition which seems to make it clear as to what Coppola was shooting for in relation to video quality:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...arest.html#god
Old 09-16-08, 11:38 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

So in less than 24 hours he managed to review all three films and the numerous hours of bonus features?

I'm setting aside an entire week to hopefully get through all that stuff...for the first time.
Old 09-16-08, 12:51 PM   #104
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Wow, it looks good. However, there are a few white specs on the shot with the car and the Statue of Liberty in the background. I hope that doesn't happen often throughout the transfer.

Yes, this is a problem throughout all three movies...although it doesn't occur frequently enough to annoy and occurs more with the first movie than the sequels. It does, however, occur frequently enough to prevent me from giving the video a "perfect" score. You think someone would have caught them and removed them considering the amount of work they put into these restorations.

I think the fact that they had to use a lot of different sources of both original negatives and dupes to restore Part I shows in the print...most scenes look great, but some look a little TOO bright or a little TOO drained of color.

On the other hand, I think Godfather II might be my favorite of the three visually...it's damn near perfect - retaining both the film look and still giving us the detail you expect to see from high definition. It was like watching that film for the first time again...outstanding work on this one.

The Godfather III, of course, looks great...but I was happy to see that it maintains the slight grain and film look of the other two films. I'm not sure they got it right with the previous DVD release...but this one looks spot-on.

Overall, I'd say 4 out of 5 stars for video on Blu-ray.
Old 09-16-08, 01:17 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yes, this is a problem throughout all three movies...although it doesn't occur frequently enough to annoy and occurs more with the first movie than the sequels. It does, however, occur frequently enough to prevent me from giving the video a "perfect" score. You think someone would have caught them and removed them considering the amount of work they put into these restorations.

I think the fact that they had to use a lot of different sources of both original negatives and dupes to restore Part I shows in the print...most scenes look great, but some look a little TOO bright or a little TOO drained of color.

On the other hand, I think Godfather II might be my favorite of the three visually...it's damn near perfect - retaining both the film look and still giving us the detail you expect to see from high definition. It was like watching that film for the first time again...outstanding work on this one.

The Godfather III, of course, looks great...but I was happy to see that it maintains the slight grain and film look of the other two films. I'm not sure they got it right with the previous DVD release...but this one looks spot-on.

Overall, I'd say 4 out of 5 stars for video on Blu-ray.
I read that very little was done (audio/video) tweaking for III, but the American Cinematographer article mentioned it as a director's cut - is there new footage for III? I know that one scene was trimmed of it's violence to secure it's R-rating, but I doubt it's been restored for this version (or has it?)
Old 09-16-08, 02:14 PM   #106
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I read that very little was done (audio/video) tweaking for III, but the American Cinematographer article mentioned it as a director's cut - is there new footage for III? I know that one scene was trimmed of it's violence to secure it's R-rating, but I doubt it's been restored for this version (or has it?)
The only home video version ever available has been the director's cut...I think it adds about 9-minutes of footage - including one painfully bad acted scene between Sophia Coppola and Al Pacino (you can guess who's doing the bad acting).

It's possible I'm remembering the VHS version of III rather than the DVD one - or maybe it's just my reaction from seeing it on Blu-ray compared to DVD (the film now has a deeper, richer look to it). Part III definitely maintains the color pallet of I and II in this new release, though. I'm quite happy with the way it looks, changes or not.
Old 09-16-08, 02:17 PM   #107
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
The only home video version ever available has been the director's cut...I think it adds about 9-minutes of footage - including one painfully bad acted scene between Sophia Coppola and Al Pacino (you can guess who's doing the bad acting).

Both?
Old 09-16-08, 02:25 PM   #108
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartload View Post
Impatience.
And uninformed consumers.
Old 09-16-08, 02:36 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Part III was rushed through post-production to meet a Christmas release date and Oscar eligibility. Coppola wasn't quite finished with his final cut at that time. He continued to work on it as it played in theaters. All home video versions including VHS contain the completed Director's Cut.
My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Old 09-16-08, 04:46 PM   #110
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the Amazon price of $61.95, before the $5 off using the Bill Me Later coupon and the $10 upgrade rebate ... for a total of $46.95, this was a no brainer for me.
Old 09-16-08, 05:00 PM   #111

^ One caution for those expecting rebates. The fine print on the form says the store receipt must eminate from the same state that you live in. If they follow that to the letter, that would disqualify on-line purchases. I'm anxious to see if they honor my rebate on Transformers I bought from Columbia House...
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 AM   #112

Tower.com has The Godfather Trilogy BD for $59.86 shipped, and according to someone at hometheaterforum.com, their shipping is faster than amazon's standard shipping. It shows it as already in stock and Ships within 12 hours. I've canceled my amazon order and gone with Tower.
Old 09-17-08, 12:19 PM   #113
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks AdmiralZ. I did the same.
Old 09-17-08, 10:45 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

DVDBeaver on Part III.

2012 Horror Challenge
Old 09-18-08, 12:16 AM   #115
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If any of you here get a headache reading DVDBeaver, I suggest you get a firefox addon called Accessibar. It allows you to change the background color and text color which is really needed for these kinds of sites.

GAMERTAG: JIGGAWHAT2

Wii Code: 4274 8288 7899 5136
Old 09-18-08, 01:16 AM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Why would you even want it? The theatrical cut was rushed to meet its Christmas release and was essentially an incomplete version as it played in theaters.

This wasn't a case of a director changing his mind after-the-fact and attempting to revise history. Coppola could not get his final cut of the movie ready in time. The home video version is the final cut.
Is this the reason for the film's bad reputation?

I never saw Godfather III in the theater. Even though the film was reviled at the time, it didn't seem nearly as awful as it was made out to be when I finally saw it. Sure, it's a definite step down from the first two, but it was still a solid film.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-18-08, 03:58 AM   #117
Time Lord

The reason it's so reviled is because of Sofia Coppola, and rightly so. Every scene she's in is pretty much unwatchable. The rest isn't so bad, but isn't nearly up to the level of the first two. If this was called "Old Man Pacino" it probably would have been better received, but it suffered from the weight of the expectations set by the first two films.
Old 09-18-08, 01:37 PM   #118
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
DVDBeaver on Part III.

I think those screenshots confirm what I suspected - the previous version of Part III on DVD didn't maintain the darker color pallet of Parts I & II...they seem to have corrected this for the new version.
Old 09-18-08, 01:45 PM   #119

Quote:
I think those screenshots confirm what I suspected - the previous version of Part III on DVD didn't maintain the darker color pallet of Parts I & II...they seem to have corrected this for the new version.

The American Cinematographer article talked about this issue and how it was color corrected to match the other two films. I didn't doubt this for a minute.
Old 09-19-08, 01:11 AM   #120

I kinda wish that this trilogy got the "Patton" treatment.

I love seeing old classics looking like they were filmed yesterday.
Old 09-19-08, 04:27 AM   #121
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd65733 View Post

I hope you're kidding.
Old 09-19-08, 05:04 AM   #122
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd65733 View Post

Just spread vaseline on your TV screen and Bob's your uncle.
Old 09-19-08, 08:00 AM   #123
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
If any of you here get a headache reading DVDBeaver, I suggest you get a firefox addon called Accessibar. It allows you to change the background color and text color which is really needed for these kinds of sites.
Finally, someone else mentions this. The white on black background is terrible.
Old 09-19-08, 11:27 AM   #124
FuQ

I ordered mine from Tower and it was shipped a few days ago. I got it for $61 shipped. They shipped it a couple of hours after I ordered. I was shocked.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Obi Wan KaJOEbi
Twitter: @2ManyComplaints
Old 09-19-08, 11:48 AM   #125

Good comparison pics thread from the one and only Xylon over at the AVS forum.

These are better than DVD Beavers comparison shots IMO.

The new transfers look phenomenal.
Origin ID - Kenshiro26

Last edited by Kenshiro; 09-19-08 at 11:50 AM.