Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

The ultimate failure of the saga/chronological version is that it presents the prequel material as an introduction to the Vito Corleone character when the material was always presented later on, even in the original novel.

The material clearly works better when you know the older Vito character from the Brando performance, plus you also lose the father/son contrast from Part II.
Old 12-06-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, the juxtaposing of Vito vs. Michael is one of the best things about part 2.
In Saga, the whole Lake Tahoe era just doesn't work as well by itself.
Old 12-06-13, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God, yes. That aspect of part 2 is awesome. LOVE Vito's story just cuz of the setting itself.
Old 01-20-15, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

A while back, I watched all three Godfather films for the first time on Blu. Great experience - obviously, the PQ & Sound were amazing - and, it was fantastic to see all three films back to back (this was the first time I've watched them this way).

I actually consider Godfather I & II to be one extremely long film. If you watch them back to back you'll see what I mean. Because of this, I don't necessarily consider one to be better than another...

And, though all of the performances in these films are stellar, some of my highest accolades go to Diane Keaton & the late John Cazale. Even though they both have relatively small supporting roles in these two movies, IMHO their acting is truly sublime.
Spoiler:
At the end of I, when we see Keaton's eyes as she sees Pacino in the back room being surrounded by all of his subordinates, we realize immediately that she knows he lied to her when he said he didn't have Carlo killed - no words needed to be spoken here. Also impressive is the scene in II when she angrily confesses to Michael what really happened to their baby, and insists that she take the children with her.

Fredo (Cazale) is incredible as well, notably his outburst in II as he gets upset at Michael for not trusting him more with the family business, especially since he was the older brother....Excellent. And, you had to feel sorry for him as his wife drunkenly danced with another guy at that large party earlier in the film, and one of Michael's subordinates had to remove her from the scene...since Fredo was either unwilling or unable to do so.

High accolades go to the masterfully controlled rage that Michael Corleone (Pacino) displays in II - this is nowhere near the over-the-top screaming/ranting & raving that we have seen in many of Pacino's '90's-on films - not even close.
Spoiler:
In fact, since we had mainly seen MC calm in I (even when he took out McClusky & Sollozzo in the restaurant), the unexpected flare-ups we see in II are that much more startling & powerful since we don't expect the character to act this way.

The ending of II was also masterful, i.e. having a flashback dinner scene with the brothers talking right after the U.S. has entered WW II, and Michael's revelation that he has joined the military. It was interesting how Sonny criticized Michael's decision to join, whereas Fredo congratulated him...The fact that both had passed by the end of this film made the scene all the more poignant. And, the very ending of II with the close up of Michael staring into space & presumably thinking about the horrible thing(s) he had done was just incredible.

Re: Godfather III, IMHO this film has been unfairly maligned over the years; sure, it's not even close to being as good as the first two GF films, but it's still a decent - if flawed - movie.

This film also has one of my favorite quotes in cinema: "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."

I've always been interested in the theme of redemption, so it was interesting here to see an aging Michael Corleone looking back at his life, regretting many of the things he had done, and trying to make up for them.

The Atlantic city
Spoiler:
massacre was quite shocking & unexpected when I first saw this, since I didn't see it coming in the least. Quite brutal & raw.

IMHO the final sequence in the film
Spoiler:
(the opera & Mary's subsequent death scene) was expertly carried out; it was quite suspenseful seeing the assasin skulk in the opera's balconies & take out the bodyguards; and, it was a shock when Mary (Sofia C.) died; this was especially horrible, since Michael was the target & he would obviously live with this guilt for the rest of his life.

And, I felt the very final scene
Spoiler:
with an elderly Michael dying peacefully in the small Italian village - to be quite poignant & ironic, since he had lived a very violent life & was responsible for a lot of deaths....Yet, he himself lived a long life & passed of natural causes...

Side-note: I didn't see any of these films in their entirety until around 2003 - shortly after they were first released on DVD...

Last edited by TheDude; 01-20-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of people cheat 1 & 2 as a big long film, but they weren't actually a big single production schedule ala LOTR. They were in fact made two years apart by an entirely different producer. That they feel so of a piece is really a testament to Coppola.
Old 01-21-15, 02:34 PM
Banned

Yeah, I never thought Godfather I & II were filmed together - it's just they seamlessly go together so well that I like thinking of them as one long movie.

By the same token, these two sets of films also fit together extremely seamlessl (even moreso than GF I & II) re: the below two sets of movies, the second picks up immediately after the first one ends, and there are even scenes from the 1st film in the 2nd...excellent editing here:

Halloween I (1978)
Halloween II (1981)

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

Last edited by TheDude; 01-21-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't call the transition between the first two Apes movies seamless. For starters, they cheat and have inserts and new footage shot during the second film mixed in with the flashbacks, and Heston looks noticeably different in them and they stick out like a sore thumb. Secondly, you have Cornelius recast and Zaius's friendly relationship with Cornelius and Zira is completely at odds with the events of the first film, a film that is supposed to be just days earlier. And the bulk of the sequel itself (really anything with the mutants) is pure B-movie tacked-on sequel nonsense, including the recast lead and the huge and obvious budgetary downgrade which affects everything from the sets to the effects to the makeup. Beneath is a pale imitation of its predecessor.
Old 01-21-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Lots of people cheat 1 & 2 as a big long film, but they weren't actually a big single production schedule ala LOTR. They were in fact made two years apart by an entirely different producer. That they feel so of a piece is really a testament to Coppola.
I am still amazed that they were filmed so far apart, yet fit so well together. Anyone that has seen the Saga can attest to that.
Old 01-21-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=TheDude;12370623]
And, I felt the very final scene
Spoiler:
with an elderly Michael dying peacefully in the small Italian village - to be quite poignant & ironic, since he had lived a very violent life & was responsible for a lot of deaths....Yet, he himself lived a long life & passed of natural causes...

Spoiler:
I think it was FF Coppola's intention to show the aged Michael Corleone as dying alone with a broken spirit, having lost his daughter. His children has been treasure, which he mentions several times throughout the film.

I always think Godfather III was very much maligned mainly because of Sophia Coppola's perfomance, but the theme of "karma" is confidently depicted all throughout the film.
Old 01-21-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
I always think Godfather III was very much maligned mainly because of Sophia Coppola's perfomance, but the theme of "karma" is confidently depicted all throughout the film.
I do think III is better than it's given credit for, but if it just did these three things, it could've been as good as I and II:

- cast a better actress for the daughter
- give Duval the extra money he wanted
- give Coppola the extra time he wanted on the script
Old 01-21-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I am still amazed that they were filmed so far apart, yet fit so well together. Anyone that has seen the Saga can attest to that.
I've never seen the "saga" version. Personally, I think it would defeat the whole purpose of the second film. The whole point of the dual-narrative structure is to highlight the difference between Vito an Michael. Reshuffling the film chronologically would be an interesting gimmick, but frankly not serve much purpose.

Originally Posted by slop101
I do think III is better than it's given credit for, but if it just did these three things, it could've been as good as I and II:

- give Duval the extra money he wanted
- give Coppola the extra time he wanted on the script
Wasn't the original plot for III supposed to be about a big war between Michael and Tom? After losing Duvall, didn't Coppola have to rethink what he was going to do entirely?
Old 01-21-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This of course has almost nothing to do with the Blu Ray, but Coppola needed Duvall a hell of of a lot more than he needed Diane Keaton. Don't know what they were thinking there.
Old 01-22-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This of course has almost nothing to do with the Blu Ray, but Coppola needed Duvall a hell of of a lot more than he needed Diane Keaton. Don't know what they were thinking there.
Duvall was interviewed by Howard Stern years ago and said he expected Pacino would make twice as much as he would for making the movie and that he was at peace with it. The studio's offer to Pacino was leaked to the press and he was surprised to read that it was 3-4 times more than what they offered him. That's why Duvall chose not to do the film and he was sorely missed IMO.
Old 01-22-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah that was some shitty decision making on the part of the studio. They could get away with this shit with Clemenza being written out of part II (since the actor wanted his girlfriend to write all his dialogue), but getting rid of Tom was idiotic.
Old 01-22-15, 07:31 AM
Banned

I don't mind the exclusion of Duvall in Godfather Part III; I think the film works fine without him. I don't think not having him should be held against the film, since the story has nothing to do with his character in the least. Also, IIRC most of Godfather III is set in the late 1970's, which, IIRC, is about 30 years after Godfather II. So, it would make sense that a lot of these characters aren't around anymore...Of course, I think Duvall is an overrated actor anyway...

And, let's be honest, even if Duvall had been in the film I'm sure it would still have been slammed by critics/movie fans. IMHO there was nothing the film could have done to make people think it was good back when it was released. It had too much to live up to, re: the previous two critically acclaimed films...

I also don't understand the vitriol directed against S. Copolla - sure, she was in the film because her dad directed it - I completely get that - i.e., Hollywood nepotism at it's most blatant. But, I felt that, considering her role, her acting was not bad - she was playing a young woman who was in love with her cousin (A. Garcia), and IMHO this came across fairly well in the film - her role did not require that much acting; and, I'm not sure that another actress would have been able to do any better, especially since I didn't think she did a bad job here.
Spoiler:
I thought the scene when she died at the end was quite poignant; and, her father's (Pacino's) reaction was realistic & heart-felt.

That all being said, I know these are unpopular opinions & that many may disagree with me on this.

Going along with this, I'm of the opinion that Part III is one of those movies that gets better with age - as least as far as critics/fans are concerned. I.e., I think some of the hate towards the film has softened over time...

Last edited by TheDude; 01-22-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
I don't mind the exclusion of Duvall in Godfather Part III; I think the film works fine without him. I don't think not having him should be held against the film, since the story has nothing to do with his character in the least. Also, IIRC most of Godfather III is set in the late 1970's, which, IIRC, is about 30 years after Godfather II. So, it would make sense that a lot of these characters aren't around anymore...Of course, I think Duvall is an overrated actor anyway...

And, let's be honest, even if Duvall had been in the film I'm sure it would still have been slammed by critics/movie fans. IMHO there was nothing the film could have done to make people think it was good back when it was released. It had too much to live up to, re: the previous two critically acclaimed films...

I also don't understand the vitriol directed against S. Copolla - sure, she was in the film because her dad directed it - I completely get that - i.e., Hollywood nepotism at it's most blatant. But, I felt that, considering her role, her acting was not bad - she was playing a young woman who was in love with her cousin (A. Garcia), and IMHO this came across fairly well in the film - her role did not require that much acting; and, I'm not sure that another actress would have been able to do any better, especially since I didn't think she did a bad job here.
Spoiler:
I thought the scene when she died at the end was quite poignant; and, her father's (Pacino's) reaction was realistic & heart-felt.

That all being said, I know these are unpopular opinions & that many may disagree with me on this.

Going along with this, I'm of the opinion that Part III is one of those movies that gets better with age - as least as far as critics/fans are concerned. I.e., I think some of the hate towards the film has softened over time...
I recently rewatched Godfather III and am going to have to disagree with you on every point you made...especially the gets better with age part. I actually thought it was okay when I saw it in the theater when it was first released. After seeing it several times since then, it seems to get worse with every viewing.
Old 01-22-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
IMHO there was nothing the film could have done to make people think it was good back when it was released.
Well, some people thought it was good at the time. It was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, although granted it didn't win any. I think it's been basically a mixed response since it was released, though it's detractors have had louder voices at various times.
Old 01-22-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
To be fair to Francis Coppola, he did originally cast Winona Ryder, but she pulled out at the last minute. She claims that she had a respiratory infection and couldn't work, but rumors at the time were that she actually had a nervous breakdown.

Needing a quick replacement, Coppola made the mistake of thinking that he could guide his daughter into giving an adequate performance in what was going to be a small role anyway. Unfortunately, he couldn't.
Old 01-22-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
To be fair to Francis Coppola, he did originally cast Winona Ryder, but she pulled out at the last minute. She claims that she had a respiratory infection and couldn't work, but rumors at the time were that she actually had a nervous breakdown.

Needing a quick replacement, Coppola made the mistake of thinking that he could guide his daughter into giving an adequate performance in what was going to be a small role anyway. Unfortunately, he couldn't.
Why do you assume I didn't already know all that? If they had given him time on the script like he wanted, he would've had time to find the appropriate actress.
Old 01-22-15, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I recently rewatched Godfather III and am going to have to disagree with you on every point you made...especially the gets better with age part. I actually thought it was okay when I saw it in the theater when it was first released. After seeing it several times since then, it seems to get worse with every viewing.
Fair enough - no opinons about movies/TV shows are wrong, because everything is subjective here.

I have noticed that I like movies other people generally don't. For example, I am a fan of Star Wars: Episode 1 (1999), even though it got hated & vilified by fans & films critics alike. I also enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite (2004), The Game (1997), The Thin Red Line (1998), Mulholland Drive (2001), Lost Highway (1997), Inland Empire (2007), Rounders (1998), etc. Though I know these movies do have some fans, overall I've read a lot of criticism about them...

And, the opposite is true: Everyone praises Avatar and Batman: The Dark Knight, and I think both movies sucked b$%#@......I also despised Superman Returns, but I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion...

Note I did really like Batman Begins (best Batman film, ever) & also enjoyed the third Batman film with Bane....

Originally Posted by Josh Z
To be fair to Francis Coppola, he did originally cast Winona Ryder, but she pulled out at the last minute.
To be completely honest, I think WR is overrated as well...

Last edited by TheDude; 01-22-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sophia Coppola's acting was perfectly fine. I totally bought her in the role. She took a lot of crap because people couldn't stand the nepotism. The guy who played Michael's son was a far worse actor than Sophia, but never gets mentioned because he wasn't the director's kid.
Old 01-23-15, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Sophia Coppola's acting was perfectly fine.
No, it really wasn't...and I otherwise like Godfather III.
Old 01-23-15, 08:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, her performance pretty much derailed the seriousness of the story - especially when she was shot at the end and Michael was crying. I just couldn't take that seriously. She's a great director, and I'm glad she's stuck to primarily just that.
Old 01-23-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No, it really wasn't...
I agree. Nepotism notwithstanding, she is bad in this. But so is Andy Garcia. I think Garcia's problem is the way the character is written.

Pacino is just eh. He just doesn't seem like the same character from the first two...evolved or not.

My biggest grip after watching the movie recently was Andy Garcia's character going from hot head to Godfather in a split second. His gaining that power seems neither earned nor realistic.

Honestly everyone seems to be sleepwalking in GIII and I attribute that to the writing/script. Look at the Star Wars prequels. It has some good actors but they all come across as cardboard cut-outs due to the terrible writing.
Old 01-23-15, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Sophia Coppola's acting was perfectly fine. I totally bought her in the role. She took a lot of crap because people couldn't stand the nepotism.
Agreed - I thought she played the role of a young, nieve, love-struck woman fairly well. I'm not sure how her acting could have been even better - nor, as I said, do I think another actress would have necessarily been better either.

As you said, I'm also sure that if she were another actress & not the daughter of the director, you'd be hearing much less (if any) criticism of her acting - after all, she had a relatively small - but important - role in the film....it's not like she was in every scene...far from it...

Last edited by TheDude; 01-23-15 at 09:40 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.