Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Robo Cop Blue Ray ?or Criterion Dvd ?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI im thinking of getting robo cop again as ive lost my criterion dvd is it worth getting the blue ray version ? from what ive seen on the blue ray it does have the director's approved aspect ratio of 1.66.1 if im right but i could be wrong ? also i hear the criterion dvd's can be worth alot of money is this true ? does anyone have robo cop on blue ray ? if so what is the picture and sound like etc ? is it worth the upgrade ? thank you
Old 06-18-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
The RoboCop Blu-ray doesn't have any extra features, absolutely none. So, if special features are a big deal for you, don't buy the Blu-ray version. However, the Criterion version only had a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer. So, if your major consideration is purely audio/video quality I would certainly recommend the Blu-ray. If features are important to you, than get the new RoboCop edition from MGM (pretty sure it's MGM).

As for worth of Criterion, their OOP discs are usually worth quite a bit when there isn't another version out there or it's the definitive version. That's no longer the case here, so I would be surprised if the Criterion is worth all that much now.
Old 06-18-08, 04:58 PM

Yeah, I upgraded to Blu-ray because the Criterion was non-anamorphic and it was driving me crazy. Next will be when they release Silence of the Lambs on Blu-ray.

Last edited by jackson walker; 06-18-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Own the 2-disc SE for the extras and got the Blu-ray in a B1G1. Had I not, I'd stick with the SE for the film, but I kept it for the extras.
Old 06-18-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen the Blu-ray and I own the MGM SE. I'm sticking with the DVD for the time being as the HD transfer is a nice uptick, but not nice enough to make me double dip on this one.

-beebs
Old 06-18-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you need the BD, the Criterion, and the steelbook... maybe the Trilogy boxset too if you can stomach 2 & 3.
Old 06-18-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Hammer99
I think you need the BD, the Criterion, and the steelbook... maybe the Trilogy boxset too if you can stomach 2 & 3.
Does the Criterion have anything exclusive on it? I thought it didn't.
Old 06-18-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Not sure... but it's a Criterion!
Old 06-18-08, 06:38 PM
Banned

20th anniversary best with dts sound ?

ive looked about and at www.dvdcompare.net and amazon uk etc.people say the 20th anniversary is the best as it came after the criterion collection and has A DTS SOUND TRACK does anybody have this what do u think i should do as im confused now lol and cant make me mind up
Old 06-18-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn straight! I even had the Image snapper (with the original movie poster on its cover), but that appears to have gotten lost. Maybe it'll turn up someday.

I also snagged a copy of the lenticular cover, of the Robocop 1 release - for display purposes only. Didn't keep the disc itself.

"Keep out of trouble."
Old 06-18-08, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119

Yes the Criterion has a fantastic exclusive commentary with the Director, where he is very animated.

The one of the Special Edition is nothing like it and sounds disinterested and like he was on sedatives and doesn't cover all the ground of the Criterion one.

I wish I hadn't sold my Criterion....
Old 06-18-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdmanuk
ive looked about and at www.dvdcompare.net and amazon uk etc.people say the 20th anniversary is the best as it came after the criterion collection and has A DTS SOUND TRACK does anybody have this what do u think i should do as im confused now lol and cant make me mind up
Since it is lossless, the DTS-HD MA track on the BD should be better than the standard DTS track on the DVD.
Old 06-19-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The blu ray has the directors cut right?
Old 06-19-08, 08:40 AM
Banned

its rubbish on blue ray

alot of the reviews say this crap on blue ray ive checked here they say the dvd is better for pic and sound etc
Old 06-19-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
The blu ray has the directors cut right?
Yep, it's the director's cut.

Originally Posted by dvdmanuk
alot of the reviews say this crap on blue ray ive checked here they say the dvd is better for pic and sound etc
Make sure the reviews you are reading are not for the Blu-ray that ended up not getting released. Apparently the quality on that one was really bad, but there were screeners of it sent out to reviewers.
Old 06-20-08, 07:37 PM

I was very disappointed with the Criterion version when I tried it on my A-3. Very grainy and of course the sound is not up to par. The new 2 disc set is much better. And no, the Criterion version is no longer worth much. I think I got about $5 for mine about 3 months ago. Don't know about the BR
Old 06-20-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I own all 3...sadly.

Oh and the pic is never better on the DVD than the Blu-ray on any release ever.
Old 02-11-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Robo Cop Blue Ray ?or Criterion Dvd ?

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the Blu Ray? I have been tempted to pick this up but the picture quality has been pretty poor on all releases...
Old 02-11-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would anyone even consider the Criterion DVD, unless you're a Criterion collector.

I dumped mine first chance I got and bought the DVD trilogy a while back. Now I'm considering dumping that and just getting the first movie on BR, but I do like the 2nd movie too. There never really was any great extras on any version that I can recall.
Old 02-11-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The Criterion DVD has lost nearly 80% of its resell value due to MGM Home Entertainment's special edition DVD.

The only reasons to even look for this are the non-scene specfic commentary, multi-media enhanced Cinefex article, and director approved framing.

Now this is a non-anamorphic release so if you have a 16:9 TV, you'll see black bars on all sides of the frame.

MGM's 20th anniversary special edition includes a new documentary, featurettes, scene-specific commentary, both versions of the film, and is anamorphic widescreen at the US theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

The Blu-ray (NO E) is just a movie-only disc with the director's cut only and has both a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 remix and the original Dolby Surround mix.

My suggestion...get the MGM 20th Anniversary edition for the extras & theatrical cut and the Blu-ray for the best possible picture & sound.
Old 02-11-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

There's really no ideal solution. The Criterion DVD has the director-approved 1.66:1 framing and an accurate color transfer, but the disc is non-anamorphic letterbox and really suffers when blown up on a large screen.

MGM's later DVD editions were anamorphically enhanced, but matted to 1.85:1 (not really a big deal). The bigger problem is that MGM's color transfer is pretty horrible. All the colors are ridiculously oversaturated. Flesh tones are a deep orange and the metallic silver on the robots is now a bright blue in most scenes.

MGM's Blu-ray is High Definition, but comes from the same transfer as their DVD.
Old 02-11-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think they are worth much. I've got mine on half.com and they don't seem to be selling. I'm one that's fine with good picture and sound but no extras. I just wanted to sell mine first to subsidize the cost of the Blue Rae Blew Ray oops, Blu-Ray
Old 02-13-09, 01:30 PM

great post!
Old 02-13-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Despite the framing issues, the Blu-ray is definitely the way to go PQ-wise.