Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Bond on Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Bond on Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Bond on Blu-ray Thread

I've heard that the first UK Bond Blu-Ray box had been problematic. (There were problems while playing the discs or something) Can somebody tell me if that is true?
Old 03-24-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one of you is this guy?

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...teelbooks.html
Old 03-24-09, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
No, but I'm pissed. Looks like the Steelbooks won't continue and it just means I will have to obtain the slip covers for the already released versions in other ways. Very irritating. I should have listened to those who told me back in October
Old 03-24-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, but I'm pissed. Looks like the Steelbooks won't continue and it just means I will have to obtain the slip covers for the already released versions in other ways. Very irritating. I should have listened to those who told me back in October
I don't get it. It's just a disgruntled Best Buy employee complaining. There's no indication that Amazon won't continue with Steelbooks. Unless they've already listed some new ones I'm not aware of.
Old 03-24-09, 12:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

watch the next round of Bond steelbook titles will be Target exclusives ...
Old 03-24-09, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't get it. It's just a disgruntled Best Buy employee complaining. There's no indication that Amazon won't continue with Steelbooks. Unless they've already listed some new ones I'm not aware of.
Both of the May bonds are listed on Amazon, with coverart, and no SKU for the Steelbook.
Old 03-24-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I'll just go to FS at lunch time tomorrow and grab them.
Well so much for that idea... FS didn't even have the 3 new Bonds, let alone steelbooks... Cust rep said he didn't know when he'd get them, and to check later in the week... Crap...
Old 03-24-09, 12:51 PM

Well so much for that idea... FS didn't even have the 3 new Bonds, let alone steelbooks... Cust rep said he didn't know when he'd get them, and to check later in the week... Crap...
which one? downtown?
Old 03-24-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, the FS sales guy told me the same thing, when i first asked him he said "yeah we have them its in the front" and he he showed me and it was the other Bond steelbooks. He then checked in the back and told me they never got them and maybe they should sometime this week.

But i have a feeling the Bond steelbooks were canceled since i heard that people's online orders from FS were getting canceled, they usually don't do that unless the item won't be available.

I have the first 6 on steelbook and i wanted to build on that, not sure what to do. My last resort is on Amazon.com but with our crappy Canadian exchange its going to cost me an arm and leg.
Old 03-24-09, 01:03 PM

and since they've added the ''import fees'' it makes it even more expensive
Old 03-24-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

The one I checked was Marche Central, I'm pretty sure no FS store got them. On the website all 3 are listed as "Out of Stock" which means "we never got them". I'll wait a bit and see if they pop up because as you guys stated Amazon would cost an arm and a leg...
Old 03-24-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your Super Targets. I was in one this morning and they still had all the older Bonds with slipcovers.
Old 03-24-09, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both of the May bonds are listed on Amazon, with coverart, and no SKU for the Steelbook.
It's entirely possible every wave will have a different retailer getting the steelbooks. I figured that's what they would do when they shifted from Best Buy to Amazon. So I'd still keep my ears open for another retailer offering these as Steelbooks.
Old 03-24-09, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Best Buy passed on the current 3 SBs because of low sales (at least that's what an employee of Best Buy was told). BB instead opted for the 3 pack with the new other Bonds coming out in May. If these don't sell well on Amazon (and excluding them from the recent sale is not a good thing) I doubt the SB line will continue on.
Old 03-24-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best Buy passed on the current 3 SBs because of low sales (at least that's what an employee of Best Buy was told). BB instead opted for the 3 pack with the new other Bonds coming out in May. If these don't sell well on Amazon (and excluding them from the recent sale is not a good thing) I doubt the SB line will continue on.
they didn't NOT sell because they were steelbooks though, i don't think any of the first wave of Bond blu-rays did all that well. Steelbook or not.
Old 03-24-09, 04:11 PM

Or it could have been fantastic pricing for the first wave on Amazon. Best Buy isn't exactly known as a bargain when it comes to Blu-Rays. Considering that the first wave was mostly comprised of films that the die hard Bond fans love, those same fans tend to keep up with bargains on sites like these and the Bond fan sites, and the price point using an online retailer is in most cases considerably lower...Best Buy didn't stand a chance. Now what they have done this go around was very smart. Releasing a 3 disc set of QOS and then a 2 month early release of two more Blus coupled with their $25 off two sets deal was a stroke of genious. If it cost them the Steelbooks I don't think they mind considering that the majority of the consumer base will follow the best deal regardless of packaging.
Old 03-24-09, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
they didn't NOT sell because they were steelbooks though, i don't think any of the first wave of Bond blu-rays did all that well. Steelbook or not.
The original Bonds sold very well on Blu-ray actually. The Steelbooks not so much.
Old 03-24-09, 05:11 PM

The original Bonds sold very well on Blu-ray actually. The Steelbooks not so much.
Well all that means is that people bought them from other places than Best Buy. Still don't think that has much to do with them being steelbooks.
Old 03-24-09, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got my Amazon steelbooks. I won't be able to watch them right now, have to get to work, but the cases were in perfect condition.
Old 03-24-09, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Well all that means is that people bought them from other places than Best Buy. Still don't think that has much to do with them being steelbooks.
The issue at hand is the Steelbooks, that were previously Best Buy only, sold poorly. That is why Best Buy passed this time and Amazon got them.
Old 03-24-09, 06:21 PM

The issue at hand is the Steelbooks, that were previously Best Buy only, sold poorly. That is why Best Buy passed this time and Amazon got them.
Not trying to be difficult here, but do you actually have the numbers? Or are you going by what some kid that works at one of the many Best Buys across the nation said?
Old 03-24-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Amazon will come through with the steelbooks. Amazon has got to be the biggest seller of Blu-rays in the country, so if not them, well hopefully someone else.
Old 03-24-09, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Maybe Amazon will come through with the steelbooks. Amazon has got to be the biggest seller of Blu-rays in the country, so if not them, well hopefully someone else.
I certainly hope so. Someone's gotta pull through!
Old 03-24-09, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Not trying to be difficult here, but do you actually have the numbers? Or are you going by what some kid that works at one of the many Best Buys across the nation said?
I'm going by what I've heard and what that poster who works for BB also said. I wish I was wrong since I want to complete the classic Bonds in SBs. If the SBs were a success, BB would have carried them again for this wave.
Old 03-24-09, 06:28 PM

I'm going by what I've heard and what that poster who works for BB also said. I wish I was wrong since I want to complete the classic Bonds in SBs. If the SBs were a success, BB would have carried them again for this wave.
Did they definitely have first dibs on them? Is there any chance maybe Amazon just beat them to the punch this time?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.