Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Sony, Save Some Money on Those Slipcovers

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-17-08, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you fucking ruin them by putting stickers on them that leave not only residue but ink as well. Got MiB in the mail today. Has a free ticket to see Hancock... correction it has a free eTicket. You pull off the sticker on the front of the case and on the back of the sticker is a code to get the ticket. Gee that wont make them hard to steal. Of course when you pull the sticker off it not only leaves complete residue of the sticker, but the text as well. If that wasn't enough there's a "For the first time on Blu-Ray" sticker that also leaves sticker residue. So, please Sony. Don't bother making these if you're going to ruin them with stickers. Save me a trip to the trash can.
Old 06-17-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the obsessive-compulsive Blu-ray collector.
Old 06-17-08, 10:54 PM

I used a small piece of packing tape and some patience and all that residue you're complaining about easily came off.
Old 06-17-08, 10:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I made mention of this over at AVS regarding MiB.

Today at Best Buy nearly every copy of MiB had the sticker removed (stolen). No free ticket to see Hancock for many. Puzzling as to why Sony went this route instead of the normal ticket inside the case thing. Trying to pimp their online website or something?

Erik is spot on for removing the goo though.
Old 06-18-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts
I use lighter fluid, but the above mentioned methods work fine too. No need to lose any sleep over it.

Putting the ticket on the outside of the package as a sticker seems monumentally stupid on Sony's part though. And it looks like they will have to rethink that strategy. No one even thought about something so obvious as in-store theft? I think someone is gonna be fired.
Old 06-18-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I made mention of this over at AVS regarding MiB.

Today at Best Buy nearly every copy of MiB had the sticker removed (stolen). No free ticket to see Hancock for many.
I have a feeling that you'll thank Sony for this, eventually.
Old 06-18-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was contemplating this issue last night when I pulled off both stickers on MiB, and then spent the next 20 minutes using the same stickers to try to get the residue off. I always find that goo gone ruins the art and makes it cloudy.
Old 06-18-08, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I have a feeling that you'll thank Sony for this, eventually.
I'm giving my free ticket to a friend. No interest in seeing the film at all.
Old 06-18-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I picked up my copy yesterday I couldn't figure out where the free ticket was. The sticker said to see the back cover for details. I looked on the back, in the case, everywhere and couldn't find anything. I then did a google search for Hancock e-cash and found the Sony website. At that point it had a picture of the sticker and the code on the back. I peeled the sticker off and of course it left the writing and residue all over the case. I could read the code fine though. Pretty stupid free ticket promotion from Sony. I can imagine tons of these being stolen.

The best thing to clean off sticker from a case is rubber cement thinner. It works great and leaves no residue or smell.
Old 06-18-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I think that putting the ticket on the outside is moronic, at the same time, it is pure genius.

Allow me to explain ... the sticker on the outside of the box ultimately is the "free" item that is provided. If someone steals the ticket on the outside of the box, then there is no sticker saying there is a free ticket inside ... thus no one should be calling them to say that the free ticket that was advertised on the outside of the case is not inside the case (as has happened on so many other occasions).

I can see Sony putting the blame back on the stores for not providing enough security to keep them from getting stolen.
Old 06-18-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Goo Gone works but I've never really wanted my DVD collection to smell like a tweaker's meth lab.
Old 06-18-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, I posted about this in the free movie cash thread. This is without a doubt the worst thing a studio has ever stuck to the outside of a case. It almost destroyed my code for the movie cash. My cousin accidentally tossed his sticker in the trash because he assumed the movie cash would be where it belongs...inside the case.

Speaking of that, could he call someone to get a replacement ticket? Or is he just screwed?

Anyway, I finally got all of the sticky residue from this blasted sticker off of the slipcover using Goo Gone. With Goo Gone, you have to be very careful. There's two types of the stuff. The type that is of a thicker consistency that you squeeze out, do NOT use that kind to remove stickers and stuff from slipcovers or art on a disc itself. If you do, you'll likely totally ruin it. This type of Goo Gone seems to totally life the paint off of whatever you use it on. It's fine if you're going to just use it on a plastic cover, but don't use it on anything with paint on it.

The other type of Goo Gone, the more oily consistency that usually comes in a spray bottle, you can use that stuff on just about anything. It has never taken the paint off of a slipcover or disc art, and I've used it on a ton of stuff over the years.
Old 06-18-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Electrical tape worked best for me.
Old 06-18-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use a hairdryer to heat up the sticker. It reduces the adhesiveness of the sticker and allows you to peel it off without it tearing into pieces and leaves very little residue (most of the time).

Learned when I had my oldschool game collection. Works way better than anything else and doesn't get things wet like goo gone. I use a goo gone type citrus sticker remover only in very rare instances.

Seriously. Hair dryer. Try it.

That said, I throw away slipcovers now unless they vary significantly from the actual DVD cover or (in the case of some anime boxsets) unless they are being used in a collection to make the spines all match. What's the point in a cardboard cover that looks almost identical to the DVD cover art? It just uses more space on the shelf and is more hassle to get a disc out.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-18-08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I peeled my sticker off very carefully and the code was completely intact. It did leave an enormous amount of sticky residue. But thanks to a large dosage of Goo Gone, my slipcover can be used now.
Old 06-19-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
It's funny that the people that are saying it's no big deal have to break out special tools or supplies to get the gunk off. Me, I think they're a waste and generally toss them. It doesn't add anything to the package in my opinion.
Old 06-19-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Use a hairdryer to heat up the sticker. It reduces the adhesiveness of the sticker and allows you to peel it off without it tearing into pieces and leaves very little residue (most of the time).

Learned when I had my oldschool game collection. Works way better than anything else and doesn't get things wet like goo gone. I use a goo gone type citrus sticker remover only in very rare instances.

Seriously. Hair dryer. Try it.

That said, I throw away slipcovers now unless they vary significantly from the actual DVD cover or (in the case of some anime boxsets) unless they are being used in a collection to make the spines all match. What's the point in a cardboard cover that looks almost identical to the DVD cover art? It just uses more space on the shelf and is more hassle to get a disc out.
My wife uses a lighter. Sounds crazy, but gets the sticker off perfectly every time, and never leaves any residue.
Old 06-19-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
It's funny that the people that are saying it's no big deal have to break out special tools or supplies to get the gunk off. Me, I think they're a waste and generally toss them. It doesn't add anything to the package in my opinion.
I like slipcovers because they add a little protection to the actual case. Plus, it's part of my cost.
Old 06-19-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a sticker like this on Sweeney Todd when Best Buy had a free movie ticket for The Ruins, except Paramount was wise enough to put it on the plastic wrap and not a slipcover.
Old 06-19-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Just got this from Amazon today...and that sticker is really, really obnoxious.
Old 06-19-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Picked this up from Circuit City today and yes, it was dumb. On the Sweeney Todd there was no issue but this left the writing of the movie sticker on the slipcover and even the "bonus features" sticker left residue. Luckily the Circuit City one did not. I always just use the security strip or some tape to pull off the residue. After about 15 I think I got everything off of this, which is good because the slipcover looks really nice. Luckily it wasn't like "The Prestige" or "Deja Vu" because doing the tape thing would have pulled the ink off.

I tried Goo Gone once before on the Daredevil: DC slip and it left an oily mark so I don't do that anymore. Tape normally works well, quick apply and pull motions.

As for this e-ticket, I get it solving the problem of people saying the ticket isn't inside (which I've done, but it really wasn't inside as advertised), but the sticker is confusing if you don't know. I did because the one on ST was on the shrink wrap and I could read it, but "on reverse" sounds like the back of the box. What about "on reverse of sticker?"
Old 06-19-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I am pretty certain this was some kind of manufacturing screwup on the sticker. There's no way it should have had that kind of adhesive on it. It should have had the same kind they put on most peel away stickers.
Old 06-20-08, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by flix1
Although I think that putting the ticket on the outside is moronic, at the same time, it is pure genius.

Allow me to explain ... the sticker on the outside of the box ultimately is the "free" item that is provided. If someone steals the ticket on the outside of the box, then there is no sticker saying there is a free ticket inside ... thus no one should be calling them to say that the free ticket that was advertised on the outside of the case is not inside the case (as has happened on so many other occasions).

I can see Sony putting the blame back on the stores for not providing enough security to keep them from getting stolen.
For a code worth a couple bucks, I don't think Sony will try to blame retail stores instead of just giving you a new code by phone like all the other offers do.
Old 06-20-08, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I am pretty certain this was some kind of manufacturing screwup on the sticker. There's no way it should have had that kind of adhesive on it. It should have had the same kind they put on most peel away stickers.
This is Sony that we're talking about....

I started peeling my label off but then held off until the weekend to spend some time with it.
Old 06-20-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I just got my So I Married An Axe Murderer Blu-Ray, and that had a peel away sticker with a code for downloading free songs. WTF couldn't they have used this for MIB? Same studio.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.