Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Look out! Here comes the crappy packaging.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Look out! Here comes the crappy packaging.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrAndonuts
Hey guys, I was pretty disappointed with the packaging, too. I went ahead and made a custom case to fit over the Blade Runner 5 Disc case.

Let me know what you guys think:
Outstanding, thanks!
Old 06-04-08, 11:48 AM

As per PeterTHX's request, here's an alternate version of the cover, that says Dirty Harry Collection, instead of boxset. It's also got the audio fixed. Let me know what you guys think:

Link to high res:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4...lectionir6.jpg

Old 06-04-08, 12:03 PM

now the question... Where can I buy a 5 disc case like the one blade runner uses... I don't want to cover my blade runner up just to give this one a case.
Old 06-04-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Dirty Harry packaging...looks like Warners just used the same packaging design they're using for standard DVD - probably saved them some money. I have no issues with it - it still fits on the shelf.

If you want to complain about something, complain that the replica badge isn't metal.
Old 06-04-08, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by londonhogfan
now the question... Where can I buy a 5 disc case like the one blade runner uses... I don't want to cover my blade runner up just to give this one a case.
I'd like to buy a few myself.
Old 06-04-08, 12:44 PM

Dirty Harry collection could easily be mistaken for a dvd box set...because of it's size. I'm not a fan of it. The spine doesn't even say Blu-ray...although there is a glare so maybe it's there.
Old 06-04-08, 12:47 PM

It doesn't say blu-ray anywhere once the partial wrapper is removed.
Old 06-04-08, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If you want to complain about something, complain that the replica badge isn't metal.

WHAT?!?!? It's not!!! hell, now it's sure I'm not picking it up
Old 06-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another reason to skip it:

Does the picture above show the entire bullet (shell casing and all) being fired out of the .44's barrel?

...and in this day & age...

Why in the world do they do that?

SHAME ON YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!

-FOR THEEK'S SAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 06-07-08 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 06-04-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't mind this set being oversized, but what kills me is places like Best Buy have that damned security facehugger that KILLS packaging. The ropes just dig into the sides and it looks horrible.

The same happened with Lost - Season 3
Old 06-04-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mike2
Dirty Harry collection could easily be mistaken for a dvd box set...because of it's size. I'm not a fan of it. The spine doesn't even say Blu-ray...although there is a glare so maybe it's there.
It looks like the actual packaging doesn't have any format logo on it. It appears to have been designed to be format-independent.
Old 06-04-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I caved and bought this at BB. I haven't seen a single second of any Dirty Harry film, so I hope to jump into these this weekend. Pretty cool set, but I could do without the added junk.

Given WB's recent spotty history in packaging mistakes, I'm just glad all 5 discs are the BDs.
Old 06-04-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
i don't mind this set being oversized, but what kills me is places like Best Buy have that damned security facehugger that KILLS packaging. The ropes just dig into the sides and it looks horrible.

The same happened with Lost - Season 3
Yeah, Wal Mart has the same system that makes an indentation on some of the new release Blu-rays.
Old 06-04-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Those fold-out cases always gave me floaters on DVD how are they not on the Blu-ray discs?
I was surprised to see that my collection arrived from Warner this afternoon in pristine condition. No floaters and not a ding, dent or crease on the thing.
Old 06-04-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by londonhogfan
I would also like to know where to purchase some of those 5 disk cases. I wish Warners would have released a normal boxset along with the one we got so that those of us who wanted just the movie disks could buy just those and the ones who wanted the extra stuff could buy the bigger set. I think this would've worked better because while the boxset extras are interesting, I have absolutly no interest in them and would have rather not paid extra for things I don't want.

Last edited by big e; 06-04-08 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike2

This is true... I acutally price-matched the BD set at Best Buy to Target's $49.99 price for the regular set. They couldn't tell the difference between the SD set pictured in Target's ad and the Blu set that I handed them. It also helped that Target's ad had a little blue box above the picture that said "Collector's Set" or something similar. It kind of looked like the set was the blu-ray one.

Shady, I know, but I got it at almost half price.

Last edited by Living Dead; 06-05-08 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
Shady, I know, but I got it at almost half price.
I would use another word: dishonest.

But as long as you can sleep at night, I'm cool.
Old 06-05-08, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the packaging is also very receptive to fingerprints/smudging.
Old 06-05-08, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Looks pretty cool to me. I can't see why anyone would complain about it. Makes me want the set even more, seeing these pics.
Same here, very nice set.
Old 06-06-08, 11:05 AM
Cool New Member

This special packaging has been a real pain for quite a while. I would even be willing to buy a standard package and cover from the studio. I have over 7,000 DVD's and almost 400 Blu-Rays. This special packageing has been nothing but annoying. The money they spent on each of these to design and manufacture all of this junk. It would have been better to use normal package and take some money off of the cost for the consumer. They should at least offer the consumer the choice of special or normal. Or build their 'special packaging' around a normal case. Shelf space becomes a real problem. The garbage that comes with these is ridiculous. A round tin for Total Recall. A bus for the King of Queens. Plastic cases for Star Trek. The Harry Potter box of junk. Extra large packaging for Sliders. A cage box for Land of the Giants. This Dirty Harry box of junk. The various fold out paper sets. There should be a contest for the worst DVD/Blu-Ray packaging of All Time. Studios take a lesson from the Blu-Ray Die Hard set. TV Seasons with a lot of episodes should always be in slim line boxes. Sorry but receiving the Dirty Harry set in the mail really got me going. Now I have to purchase all five of these movies in their normal cases some time in the future to rid myself of the work of some runaway studio artist's sugar high and some Studio Execs bad judgement.
Old 06-06-08, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would use another word: dishonest.

But as long as you can sleep at night, I'm cool.

No problem sleeping at all.
Old 06-07-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, after shopping around at a few different Best Buys, and finding that every one I went to had the boxset strapped tight & cutting into it with those blasted security devices, I finally bought mine today (for the outrageous price of $89, but cheaper than Fry's) at the one out there in the Glendale/Atwater area next to the Mighty Los Feliz Costco.

They had 3 of them on the shelve in these clear, oversized security containers and not tied ripping-tight with those blasted 'spider web' bondage lock things that destroy the box, and I am Most Pleased with my set. With all the extra stuff it's really quite wonderful, actually.

(I can't wait to FLIP the badge on some unexpecting undercover cop.)

OH! & BTW: The picture I posted above (in post #34) sure looks like the entire bullet (with casing) is being fired out of the barrel of the gun, but the one I bought today doesn't have the bullet pictured. It just has the heat trail from the bullet.

It's not like it's the first time Hollywood pulled that boner. Here's just ONE example of what I mean:

Spoiler:
Could it be that Warner Brothers actually read MY post, and in an emergency last ditch effort remove their SHAME and SAVE FACE, actually recalled all the boxsets, reshot the picture, and hand delivered all the copies back to their respective sellers OVERNIGHT?

Spoiler:

What?
-The Mighty Voice of THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 06-10-08 at 01:15 PM. Reason: To add: When I BARK, Studios LISTEN!
Old 06-23-08, 04:48 PM

well I can't find any 5disc replacement boxes.

Anyone have the scans from the UK cases? Why do they get the individual releases and we don't anyway.

Old 06-23-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Warning to anyone who buys Warner's digibooks. They put the security sensor on the back cover and removing it leaves a nasty gouge. Why couldn't they have just put it on the removable paper backing? I have a feeling these things will eventually be as hated as the dreaded Warner snapper dvd case.
Old 06-23-08, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Warning to anyone who buys Warner's digibooks. They put the security sensor on the back cover and removing it leaves a nasty gouge. Why couldn't they have just put it on the removable paper backing? I have a feeling these things will eventually be as hated as the dreaded Warner snapper dvd case.
I opened 2 digibooks today and the sticker wasn't even attached. It was just sticking to the plastic itself, not on the case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.