DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Definitive List of Blu-ray with "SteelBook" cases. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/532629-definitive-list-blu-ray-steelbook-cases.html)

Morphine1680 07-08-08 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

They don`t have it listed yet :(

pro-bassoonist 07-08-08 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine1680
They don`t have it listed yet :(

You just have to be patient. They will have it for sale. Fnac.es will also probably carry it.

Pro-B

rfduncan 07-09-08 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
A steelbook was made for a movie like Iron Man.

Shouldn't it have been an IRONbook? ;)

OldBoy 07-12-08 12:32 PM

"Iron Man" release news

Iron Man (1-disc, Future Shop Exclusive)...release date TBD

RaMMaR 07-12-08 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Shouldn't it have been an IRONbook? ;)

Well, if you wanna pick nits, it'd have to be a Gold-Titanium Alloy Book. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, huh? BD SteelBk has a high price-point already - i'd hate to see what this'd fetch...:p

orion1998_1 07-15-08 10:53 AM

is there a pic of the ironman future shop blu steelbook?

Morphine1680 07-18-08 08:12 PM

There are 2 more steelbook blurays from Amazon.de:
Room 1408
Rambo Trilogy

NiCK Crush 07-20-08 12:25 AM

is it really THAT hard to release a R1 Blu-ray steelbook?

Morphine1680 07-20-08 06:51 PM

It has to do with licensing, I heard no one in US has the license to release steelbooks for bluray, at least for now. Scanavo.com grants license, an European company :(

Josh Z 07-20-08 08:54 PM

The American DVD buying public has never been much interested in discs with fancy packaging. When movies are released in otherwise identical editions, one in normal packaging and one in a special case or box, the normal case typically outsells the fancy one by an order of magnitude.

Things are different in other countries, where elaborate packaging holds more appeal for the local consumers.

NiCK Crush 07-21-08 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The American DVD buying public has never been much interested in discs with fancy packaging. When movies are released in otherwise identical editions, one in normal packaging and one in a special case or box, the normal case typically outsells the fancy one by an order of magnitude.

Things are different in other countries, where elaborate packaging holds more appeal for the local consumers.

True as that may or may not be, we still see R1 DVD Steelbooks.... i think its about time we get a R1 Blu-ray, thats all. I'm not talking one every month... but a couple a year would be great, for now anyway.

Ah well, in due time.

orion1998_1 08-08-08 01:04 AM

did anyone see the draft punk steelbook anywhere?

Morphine1680 08-08-08 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by orion1998_1
did anyone see the draft punk steelbook anywhere?

I heard release was cancelled :(

orion1998_1 08-09-08 07:37 PM

odd, sd steelbook was released

Morphine1680 08-11-08 07:48 PM

Iron Man Steelbook from Future shop:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...52&catid=24080

Kory 08-15-08 07:39 AM

Not that I'll buy it, but it's good to see that it is in fact 2 discs like the regular Blu-Ray release and not 1 like Scott initially reported.

xage 08-17-08 12:24 AM

Are HD steelbook more collectible than the Blu Ray Steelbook?

My mindset here is that HD-DVD was a discontinued system and gone.. so no chance of any new re-release out there for such?

Gizmo 08-17-08 12:34 AM

There was only 1 HD DVD steelbook which was Terminator 2 (Germany IIRC). I can't think of any others.

howwon 08-17-08 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8880353)
There was only 1 HD DVD steelbook which was Terminator 2 (Germany IIRC). I can't think of any others.

The Shawshank Redemption (Germany)
Strip Mind (Germany)
T2 (Germany)

Edit: Inserted Amazon.de links

howwon 08-17-08 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Morphine1680 (Post 8823476)
It has to do with licensing, I heard no one in US has the license to release steelbooks for bluray, at least for now. Scanavo.com grants license, an European company :(

Actually, the license or copyright, are held by the studios. Scanavo will produce what ever cover art, that is approved by the studios. I have yet to hear of Scanavo turning down any studio business.

The first Blu-ray SteelBook (I Am Legend), was released in Canada. US and Canadian movie release are two different entities. For one reason or another, the Canadian arm of WB gave their approval of the Blu-ray SteelBook.

The Iron Man 2-Disc Ultimate Edition Blu-ray SteelBook was authorized for release in Canada by Paramount.

Gizmo 08-17-08 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by howwon (Post 8880364)

Shawshank and Strip Mind appear to be pre-orders so they might be canceled (as most HD DVDs are now). I had no idea either were announced and can't read German so...

howwon 08-17-08 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8880634)
Shawshank and Strip Mind appear to be pre-orders so they might be canceled (as most HD DVDs are now). I had no idea either were announced and can't read German so...

All three HD SteelBooks are available now. I have pictures of Strip Mind, T2 and a few Blu-ray SteelBooks posted on another SteelBook members only site. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll send the link to you.

Gizmo 08-17-08 11:45 AM

Cool. I had no idea these even existed and can't read German so...

But are you sure the HD DVD versions have been pressed? The Blu-ray versions may be available but that format is still alive.

PMing you

uglyjay 08-17-08 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by howwon (Post 8880364)

Are you sure The Shawshank Redemption Steelbokk is HD DVD?
I don't get that impression from the translation.

howwon 08-17-08 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8880675)
Cool. I had no idea these even existed and can't read German so...

But are you sure the HD DVD versions have been pressed? The Blu-ray versions may be available but that format is still alive.

PMing you

I can confirm that Strip Mind and T2 are pressed as I have copies of them. Link has been sent to you by PM, show casing my Blu-ray and HD SteelBooks.