Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixar Shorts Collection Volume 1 (Blu-Ray)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

One of the few titles I've paid over $15 for, and at $23.95 it's worth every penny. The quality on this title is amazing, and I've noticed details in the shorts that I've missed before (i.e. the texture of the electricity line in "for the birds," for example).

I love this DVD Anyone else have it?
Old 05-27-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
One of the few titles I've paid over $15 for, and at $23.95 it's worth every penny. The quality on this title is amazing, and I've noticed details in the shorts that I've missed before (i.e. the texture of the electricity line in "for the birds," for example).

I got it a bit cheaper than that, but I really enjoyed it. Some of the shorts are available in HD on some of the other Pixar Blu-rays, but I really liked the documentary on there and that made the whole collection worth buying. It is really interesting to see the progression of their software and the animation breakthroughs they made with every new short in the early days.
Old 05-27-08, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I have a very minor issue with the repetitiveness of having some of these on other DVD's, but way more happy by having it in high def. Got it along with Ratatouille and watching both are simply amazing, very much reference quality. I use the Pixar shorts to demo when I have curious friends and family. And I love watching Lifted and For the Birds.

But this has me wondering, does Pixar plan on releasing another volume of shorts? It seems to me all the shorts they have made so far are on this disc. Or maybe they're looking ahead to the ones that will come on their future movies.
Old 05-27-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like that one (and own it) but I'm waiting for The Pixar Story in HD.
Old 05-27-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Wait, are you talking about the DVD or the Blu-ray?

I picked the Blu-ray last week with a coupon at Borders and love it. The three-dimensionality of some of the animation is jaw-dropping (Sully's fur in "Mike's New Car" and all of "Boundin'")

The documentary on the history of Pixar is fascinating.
Old 05-27-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I still haven't picked this up, and at this point I'm going to have to wait for another deal. 3 of the 13 shorts are already on Cars and Ratatouille, and I suspect the others will be available on eventual BDs of the other Pixar titles as well. Is it worth it for the documentary and seeing them now in HD, with it possibly becoming obsolete later on? I guess the ability to have them on one disc would be nice though.

Last edited by Drexl; 05-27-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved it, but am I the only one who found this disc to be alitte bare?

I mean they could've included this on Toy Story when it came out... Not charging people $20+ for something that came free before each of their features.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for that comment.
Old 05-28-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I loved it, but am I the only one who found this disc to be alitte bare?
No flame, I agree with you completely. It definitely could have had a few more extras or something.
Old 05-28-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pick this up for $15 or less, but I have a feeling that these are all going to be on the Pixar releases anyway... and I'll be buying all of them for sure!
Old 05-30-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I picked up both the DVD and the Blu-ray. Great stuff. Gave the DVD to my brother.
Old 05-30-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the wife and i just watched this the other night via netflix. very well done. i will probably pick this up sometime if i can find a cheaper copy.
Old 05-31-08, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. How do you even find new DVDs for under $15 let alone Blu-rays? I'm a Pixar freak so I wanted to pick up the shorts collection, but here in Canada the cheapest I could find it for was $29.99. But that's about the normal price for Blu here. Fox titles usually run $35, and a lot of Blus can be had for 2-for-$50 deals. But $30 seems to be the average.
Old 05-31-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No flame, I agree with you completely. It definitely could have had a few more extras or something.
This was also my only negative about the set. I think it is only an hour or so of shorts and the doc so they definitely could have put more stuff on there, but I was pretty happy since what they did give us was excellent.