Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Difference between Serenity HD DVD releases?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm fairly new to the HD game and haven't read much discussion about this sort of thing.

I just got my five free HD DVD titles and one of them was Serenity, which I'd already picked up at a Gamestop. The two versions are different, though.

The Gamestop version has a silver/reflective spine with Serenity in blue, while the Toshiba version has a black spine with Serenity in white. The only other difference I can find is that the silver-spined version has "the best in picture, sound and interactivity" at the bottom of the cover, while the black-spined version has "the look and sound of perfect."

A picture of the spines (sorry if the flash killed it, but the top one is black, while the lower one is silver/reflective):

Is there any actual difference between the discs, or is the difference just in the packaging? Does anyone know what the reason was for the change in the art? And is there any advantage in keeping one over the other?

Thanks for the help, and, again, sorry if this has already been covered.
Old 05-23-08, 03:47 AM
AOD

There is absolutely no difference in discs, only packaging. Universal went to new packaging across the board, to include future pressings of their initial batch of HD DVD releases, and stopped using the seastone (HD DVD cases with feet) cases.
Old 05-23-08, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
AOD is correct. Same disc, different artwork. LionsGate on Blu did a very similar thing as well.
Old 05-23-08, 08:57 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response, guys.