Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do some Blu-Ray movies has bars and some take up the entire screen?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-16-08, 10:09 AM

Can someone explain this to me. I do not fully understand this. I have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080P DLP HDTV and a PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, and I'm not sure why it is like this. Some movies take up the entire screen and some have the bars on the top and bottom.
Old 05-16-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Different aspect ratios ... it's explained well here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=522428
Old 05-16-08, 10:18 AM

ok and so but that doesn't truly explain why! Why are there so many different aspect ratios? Why would you release a film that doesn't take up the entire screen?
Old 05-16-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
ok and so but that doesn't truly explain why! Why are there so many different aspect ratios? Why would you release a film that doesn't take up the entire screen?
Because films are not shot to be shown on your TV, they're shot to be shown in a theater. For more on the different film aspect ratios, check out wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29
Old 05-16-08, 10:25 AM

With the shrinking theater market and with DVD sales being so huge and with Blu-Ray coming in, one would think this problem would have been fixed
Old 05-16-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the shrinking theater market and with DVD sales being so huge and with Blu-Ray coming in, one would think this problem would have been fixed
It's not a problem that needs fixing. Directors and DPs choose the aspect ratio that they want to compose their film for. It's an artistic decision, not a functional one based on the shape of television sets.
Old 05-16-08, 10:34 AM

It is a problem. You may argue that having black bars is fine, but let's be honest here, no one likes it. I'd love to see other forms of media have black bars on the top. Imagine videogames not taking up the entire screen or going to a theater and having black bars. The reality of it is that people don't like it and it should not be there.
Old 05-16-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Artistic decision, I prefer 2.35:1 over 1.85:1 with movies (black bars on top and bottom on most TVs) as it gives a better sense of scope. Shrinking theater market? Hardly, and most movies still make most of their production costs back in their theatrical run.

Imagine videogames not taking up the entire screen or going to a theater and having black bars. The reality of it is that people don't like it and it should not be there.
There are numerous videogames that have black bars on 4:3 standard TVs, which is the overwhelming standard in most households still. So technically, you should have black bars on the left and right of your TV to fit in with them.

The reality of it is that people don't like it and it should not be there.
The reality of it is some people care, some people like it, some people hate it. Get a 2.35:1 setup if you don't.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-16-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 10:37 AM

The theater market has been shrinking for years. And most (outside of huge sure-fire hits) don't make their production costs back in the theatrical run.
Old 05-16-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shrinking for years is overblown when you consider it's still an $8 billion a year industry and fluctuates based on what films are in theaters. Attendance is down a bit.
Old 05-16-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a problem. You may argue that having black bars is fine, but let's be honest here, no one likes it. I'd love to see other forms of media have black bars on the top. Imagine videogames not taking up the entire screen or going to a theater and having black bars. The reality of it is that people don't like it and it should not be there.
Why do you feel that then entire screen needs to be filled? That is like saying you don't like that painting at the art museum because it does not fill up the wall it is on.

Frankly I watch the movie, and don't concern myself with areas of the screen that contain no image.
Old 05-16-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Your question has been answered, and this argument has nothing to do with Blu-ray specifically.