Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Article: Six reasons you shouldn't use the PS3 as your Blu-ray player

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Article: Six reasons you shouldn't use the PS3 as your Blu-ray player

Old 05-14-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Agreed. The rest of this list is reaching to the extreme.

If you are worried about power usage (and we should all be worried) then just shut off the power strip the unit is plugged into.
Well, actually leaving it on standby only uses about 1-2 watts.

Last edited by Drexl; 05-14-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The power issue is a big deal. Esp. if you're paying the bills.... But I'm sure it won't keep me from eventually buying PS3 though, just wish its much better than that.
Old 05-14-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
I guess I don't understand all the backlash against this article. They state very clearly that the PS3 is by far the best Blu-ray player, but it's not ideal for everyone and then they list the reasons why. Each of the numbered items is a legitimate issue for some consumers and if I was considering a PS3 as a Blu-ray player, I would find this article informative and helpful. (For the record, I already own a PS3 for my Blu-ray player, because none of the issues really affect me, but I recognize that they might affect others).
Old 05-14-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow, what a lame list as none of them are important really.
Old 05-14-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I guess I don't understand all the backlash against this article. They state very clearly that the PS3 is by far the best Blu-ray player, but it's not ideal for everyone and then they list the reasons why. Each of the numbered items is a legitimate issue for some consumers and if I was considering a PS3 as a Blu-ray player, I would find this article informative and helpful. (For the record, I already own a PS3 for my Blu-ray player, because none of the issues really affect me, but I recognize that they might affect others).
I think it's the title more than anything, which implies that no one would want to use it. If it was something like "Six Reasons You Might Not Want to Use the PS3 as Your Blu-ray Disc Player" (which would better represent the article) there wouldn't be as much backlash.
Old 05-14-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I think it's the title more than anything, which implies that no one would want to use it. If it was something like "Six Reasons You Might Not Want to Use the PS3 as Your Blu-ray Disc Player" (which would better represent the article) there wouldn't be as much backlash.
I agree - the title doesn't fit the article. I suspect many people posting vitriol here only read the title and the numbered items, not the actual content.
Old 05-14-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
It's fine I suppose. It's a bit nit-picky, and I don't think all of them are even true. But if you buy a PS3, at least this shows what you'll be missing. Nothing's perfect. My opinions on the numbered issues:

4) True, but don't care. I have a good enough receiver. If one's a real audiofile, they probably have a good enough receiver too.

6) That would be just an anal complaint.
For #4, some of the heavy audiophiles are doing the most complaining. They have these multi thousand dollar pieces of gear that are worthless with the PS3 because they've had it a few years and it doesn't have HDMI.

#6 is the opposite argument, people bought new expensive receivers that will decode the new formats, but the PS3 can't bitstream the signal (thereby making the "lights" go on). The arguments about whether having the PS3 do the decoding is just as good as having the receiver do it are raging heavy at many sites. Also, if your receiver will accept PCM over HDMI, but won't process the signal (many don't), you can't use DPL IIx or some of the other tools to fully utilize a 7.1 system.
Old 05-14-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
That list is garbage, thanks for the laugh.
Old 05-14-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
6. I need to see my receiver light up and say "Dolby TrueHD."
Even if you do have a new HDMI-capable receiver, you'll never get the Dolby TrueHD light to turn on with the PS3. That's because although the PS3 can decode both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, it can't send those soundtracks in bit stream format and allow the receiver to decode them. Of course, this isn't really a legitimate reason, as you're still getting the same high-resolution audio, but some people just need the comfort of seeing the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio lights on their receiver.
Fully agree.
Old 05-14-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't see how wearing it out is an issue for now. Look at it this way: if you spend equal amounts of time playing BD movies and games, it will wear out in half the time. However, to buy a dedicated BD player would cost you about as much as the PS3, or even more depending on the model. While you're doubling the life of each component, you're paying twice as much. You'd be just as well off using only the PS3 and then replacing it when it goes. Actually, sticking to the PS3 might cost you less in the long run if the price goes down.

I would advise not using it for DVDs if you watch a lot of those, since a DVD player can be had for much less.

I really don't see why Sony doesn't address the IR issue themselves. Okay, so they like people buying their remotes, but how does that change if they sell the IR kits themselves? They could price it the same amount, and make money from people who would otherwise look elsewhere for a third-party solution.
Even if your warranty is up you can just pay the 150 bucks to have your BD drive replaced.
Old 05-14-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Also, if your receiver will accept PCM over HDMI, but won't process the signal (many don't), you can't use DPL IIx or some of the other tools to fully utilize a 7.1 system.
Yes, but the same receivers generally won't apply DPLIIx to TrueHD or DTS-HD MA either.
Old 05-15-08, 12:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Lame list. I could careless about no IR since I actually like the PS3 BT Remote.
Old 05-15-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would of agreed with the system being way too loud when I first bought the thing. For a few months I almost dreaded watching a movie because eventually that fan would kick in. One day I moved the console down one shelf on my audio cabinet where the back of the cabinet is a bit more open and the fan hasn't kicked on for a movie since then and the air in the cabinet is relatively cool.
Old 05-15-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) I don't use a Universal remote anyway, so what do I care?

2) The PS3 may be louder, but I can still hardly hear it regardless, so again why should I care?

3) That's why they have these things called instruction booklets.

4) True, there are no analog outputs, but the PS3 is also a helluva lot cheaper than that Pioneer standlone player they're touting.

5) Manmade global warming is a load of BS. The only green I care about is my bank account.

6) If seeing the words "Dolby TrueHD" or "DTS-HD MA" are so damn important, hit the select button on the PS3 remote.
Old 05-15-08, 02:42 PM

I think the main thing that stands out for me after reading this list is: If i am not using the PS3 as a blu-ray player, what the hell am i gonna use it for? a doorstop? A paper weight?

I love the people who assert that the PS3 is "primarily a gaming system." Really? I think a majority of PS3 owners would agree that it is hard to be a gaming system with no games.

PS I hate Sony.
Old 05-15-08, 03:13 PM
Suspended

#1 is a big issue with me. I wish I could use a universal remote with the PS3. I like Bluetooth remotes, vs. IR, but there are no good ones out there yet.

#4 is an issue too for some. I have a newer receiver, so it doesn't affect me though.
Old 05-15-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
1. Doesn't work with universal remotes.

Who gives a rats ass? I'm lazy, but I'm not THAT lazy.

2. It's louder than standalones.

No it's not. It's not loud at all. It's a mouse compared to my HD DVD player.

3. Interface isn't as easy to use.

Yeah, if you're, like, 12-years-old!

4. You have an older AV receiver and need multichannel analog outputs.

I don't.

5. You want to be green.

Al Gore, thanks for joining DVD Talk.

6. I need to see my receiver light up and say "Dolby TrueHD."

I think you've been "lighting up" something other than your reciever.
Old 05-15-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#6 is a big deal for some people. Just go over to HTF
Old 05-15-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dylonius
I think a majority of PS3 owners would agree that it is hard to be a gaming system with no games.

PS I hate Sony.
Welcome to May 2007.
Old 05-15-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
The only one that I'd tend to agree with is #2. Of course there are variables, PS3s tend to vary in noise levels from unit to unit, and people have different hearing abilities. I'm cursed with excellent hearing (I hear my A3 as well during quiet scenes), and I can definitely hear my PS3 during the quieter moments. It's not loud but it's there and distracting at times. And yes, maybe I'm a bit OCD about it, but it does bother me. I love my PS3, it's an amazing piece of equipment for what it does, but I'm seriously thinking about buying a (hopefully) quieter standalone BD player as well.
Old 05-15-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
#1 is a big issue with me. I wish I could use a universal remote with the PS3. I like Bluetooth remotes, vs. IR, but there are no good ones out there yet.
http://www.ir2bt.com is the #1 solution for this problem. I have a Harmony 550 and control everything on my PS3 with it, even turning it ON and OFF.
Old 05-16-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by danicus007
http://www.ir2bt.com is the #1 solution for this problem. I have a Harmony 550 and control everything on my PS3 with it, even turning it ON and OFF.
Aw hell yeah!
Old 05-16-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
the PlayStation 3 is the best Blu-ray player on the market right now
Um...doesn't this trump everything on the list???
Old 05-16-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
The power issue is a big deal. Esp. if you're paying the bills.... But I'm sure it won't keep me from eventually buying PS3 though, just wish its much better than that.
trust me, you do not need to worry about the electric bill when playing the PS3 (game or BD). It's few cents more or something... I use to bitch about this a lot, but after realizing playing X360 and PS3, the electric bill more or less the same (except higher due to inflation).
Old 05-16-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal remote can be good and bad, depending how you look at it... To me, i like to be able to control the player where ever i want. If i have to answer the door or phone, i do not need to point the remote at the device to pause or stop. I can run to the door/phone while pressing the button on the PS3 remote.

If i'm busy in the kitchen and the kids want to watch another episode or something, i can just adjust the program in the kitchen...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.